Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

On April 16, 2013, AA suffered widespread problems (bookings, changes, aircraft holds and cancellations) caused by an HP-owned communications link breakdown. Many travellers were affected by cancelled or extensively delayed flights; this thread was dedicated to providing as current information as possible to members involved, and extraneous comments were suppressed by deletion and members asked to hew to strict informational guidelines.

The original wikipost can be read in the first post's Moderator Note.

Those still travelling and affected were advised to read this post this post.

The thread relating to proactive and related compensation provided to distressed / affected flyers as a result of the 16 Apr 2013 events can be read here.
Print Wikipost

16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights etc. affected

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by ksmith142
System wide outage affecting MIA into 2nd hr lines out the door no processing reservations
MIA departure board also shows normal ops. If they can't process PAX not sure how they are not delaying flights.

http://webvids.miami-airport.com/webfids/
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Someone probably brought up the aa.com home page on one of their servers and all processes froze while the java web page is being loaded.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mwk190
MIA departure board also shows normal ops. If they can't process PAX not sure how they are not delaying flights.
The same way we are at the gate, 30 minutes after scheduled departure having not even begun boarding the plane and the departure status still says "On Time".

BTW, welcome to FT and the world of aviation mis-information.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
From the Dallas Morning News aviation blog:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ms-today.html/
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights affected

Flights at LGA still showing on time. My noon departure is still on time even though we are here at the gate, staring at the plane waiting to board.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
SABRE down at IAH. Pax really have no option but to wait unfortunely. We can't do anything: Check-in, board, check in bags, take payments, allow pax through security.... NOTHING.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.284 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

ORD is slowly starting to meltdown. I wouldn't expect flight status to change if the computers aren't even doing basic functions.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Please note: Flight departure boards and in essence, everywhere where one can access flight departure and arrival information are WRONG. Most are showing an "on-time" departure. NO AA flight is leaving the ground. The entire airline in grounded and not "on-time". A lot of pax are very confused over this.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
16 Apr 2013: AA computers down systemwide, many flights affected

Boarded our eagle flight in AEX but not going anywhere. So far delayed an hour.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Departure screens and Boarding monitors are controlled by each local Authority...NOT AA.

NYC = Port Authority
MIA = MIA Dade
etc...

so screens will still show on-time.

Pilots need the loads for weight management, so many flights will be delayed until the system is fixed. You should see the FA FB sites...so many people freaking out because they can't access our bidsheets, or log in for flights.

Just like when United's system went down back in November
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
Departure screens and Boarding monitors are controlled by each local Authority...NOT AA.

NYC = Port Authority
MIA = MIA Dade
etc...

so screens will still show on-time.

Pilots need the loads for weight management, so many flights will be delayed until the system is fixed. You should see the FA FB sites...so many people freaking out because they can't access our bidsheets, or log in for flights.

Just like when United's system went down back in November
I have some bad luck...I was flying UA when they went down in November, and now I'm flying AA when they do. Let's hope this ends up like the UA situation did, where I was delayed a bit but still made my connection fine

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
May be unrelated but LGA and DFW are stopping departing flights at originating destination for ten / fifteen minutes per www.flightaware.com. Appears to be more than just AA.

Edit - hold extended to ORD, all three to 230pm EDT.

Programs: AA-EXP (2.3mm) HH-Diamond
At LAX.
SABRE IS down. It keeps coming up and going back down, according to the agent in the Admiral Club.

A few AA flights ARE getting out here. I watched an AA flight take off about 25 minutes ago. And AA flight 2 to New York is about to depart ... they're announcing it now in the Admiral's Club. All displays, though, are WRONG.

I was supposed to be on the 8 am flight to DFW. We had "mechanical" problems and I jumped to the 11:40 am flight by calling EXPLAT desk and they used the "old system" to switch my flight. I tried printing my new boarding pass at one of the automated kiosks and I got a notice that said that I had missed my flight!!!!!!! LOL The AGent in the Admiral's Club was able to print a boarding pass for my new flight. I had no checked luggage. I don't know what would have happened had I checked luggage.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
In the air right now MIA-DFW, hopefully they have this resolved by the time we land. Maybe this explain why my upgrade hasn't auto-cleared with 4+ seats open on my connection... :-D
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
The SABER outage is big enough that it's hit the major news outlets (Fox, CNN, CBS, NBC).

This isn't going to be an easy day at the office for the AA folks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.