Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77W walk up bar - why do they offer sandwiches?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

77W walk up bar - why do they offer sandwiches?

I was in J from LHR to DFW, and enjoyed the walk up bar area, except for one thing. The sandwiches. The fillings were great, but the bread was all dry. I also had a similar experience on BA, and the FA even cautioned me to keep the cover on until eating, since the dry air affects the bread dramatically (they still were dry).

So, why does AA stick to offering sandwiches as snacks? The bread basket with meals is usually good, but as an item that is prepared in advance, and is then left out for some time before consumption, I would have thought sandwiches a logical poor choice (sort of like how airlines don't serve meat on the bone), and that there would be better options.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by bmchris; Apr 4, 2013 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Any other choice for US/European airlines?

JL and NH serve Onigiri(rice ball) instead of sandwiches though
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:33 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Any other choice for US/European airlines?

JL and NH serve Onigiri(rice ball) instead of sandwiches though
Well, CX actually serves noodles with braised beef in J as a snack (which you request by ringing your call button, at which point a FA rushes to your seat), but that's probably not a fair comparison.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
Ever gone to sleep at takeoff and awaken 4 hours later starving? Dry bread is better than nothing, particularly if the snacks are chips and not filling.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Olives, smoked/cured/cooked meats (fish, shrimp, hams, poultry), filled pastries, topped crackers (may be messy) come immediately to mind.

If you go off the reservation a little, you can probably get some pretty tasty international snacks that are more dry air resistant without being too "ethnic". And with the proliferation of cuisines, I would be surprised if it would be a big issue - but I'm sure some folks would be surprised.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Out of curiosity what else is stocked in the walk up bar?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

A picture describes it better than words - http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ps0a5afdbd.jpg

The offering from LHR was a little different, but you get the idea of what type of foods. You can make out the sandwiches in the first tray from the left!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by bmchris
A picture describes it better than words - http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ps0a5afdbd.jpg

The offering from LHR was a little different, but you get the idea of what type of foods. You can make out the sandwiches in the first tray from the left!
Now all they need is a kegerator and some champagne on ice.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I am thrilled they are offering sandwiches. Pretty much my favorite food item, from little finger sandwiches, right up to full size NY deli heros.

Plenty of airlines offer sandwiches as snacks. They should be individually wrapped in plastic.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
Now all they need is a kegerator and some champagne on ice.

Thanks.
^^
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:58 pm

It looks pretty nice with the yoghurt and frsh fruit. But indeed, where are the bubbles
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

From memory, the only thing they had readily available was water and juices. If you wanted anything else, they would get it for you (like a soda) and bring it to your seat. So you could ask for bubbly.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Plenty of airlines offer sandwiches as snacks. They should be individually wrapped in plastic.
That would be a big help. However, they want the presentation as well - as though it were like any snack buffet. Plastic wrap just wouldn't do. Given the choice, I'd say give me the wrap.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
When I was 19 and flew over to China, the Chinese Airline (whichever, they've merged so much over the past 20 years, no one can keep track) left out wine and soft drinks on a mini bar at the back of coach. I had some and can say that Chinese wine on a cheap chinese airline sitting out in coach may be the worst thing ever.

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, but hey, this is FT.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmchris

^ ^ ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.