Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77W walk up bar - why do they offer sandwiches?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:40 pm

When I flew the 77W to GRU and back in December, I recall there were cut up wraps, instead of sandwiches. I suppose tortillas could dry out even more if left out...

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
The photo above is representative of what they were doing for the whole month of February on DFW-GRU-DFW. Not just the inaugural flights.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
The carrot/celery in ranch (light ranch?) seems like something that would (a) keep, and (b) provide SOME nutritional value mid flight. I'd definitely grab those.

I like finger sandwiches too - why don't they do like BA / Pret A Manger / Tesco / SCHOOL(!) / etc and have them wrapped?
Ranch??? There is absolutely nothing nutritional about Ranch (Even Light)
Kraft - Light Ranch Dressing
2 Tbsp
Calories 110 Sodium 125 mg
Total Fat 8 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 7 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 6 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0
You are better off with one slice of bread! (IMO)
Bread - Whole-wheat
1 Slice
Calories 69 Sodium 148 mg
Total Fat 1 g Potassium 71 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 13 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 6 g
Trans 0 g Protein 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 2%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 5%

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 4, 2013 at 8:04 pm Reason: Added: IMO :)
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by carlosdca

You are better off with one slice of bread!
No, not really. 13g of simple carbs in just one slice! Holy insulin release, Batman

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by brp
No, not really. 13g of simple carbs in just one slice! Holy insulin release, Batman

Cheers.
Really people? You can be perfectly healthy and still eat bread and ranch dressing. Its all about moderation.

What I don't understand about these alleged new set ups is that they seem to be the same on all flights. On something like JFK-LHR, there is absolutely no need for a mid-flight snack bar. There is a whooping three hours between meal services. DFW-LHR overnight could have something more. But flights like LHR-DFW and LHR-LAX need the biggest spread. I'd think AA could cost optimize this and provide offerings based on what people really want on each flight.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold

You are better off with one slice of bread! (IMO)
Maybe you should re-read my post - I did say "some" nutritional value, and I think it was implied that I was talking about the vegetables, not whatever they are to be dipped in. If you want to argue bread vs carrots/capsicum, then fair game!

Personally, I loathe ranch dressing.

Either way, on topic, those offerings in a spanking-new, airy 77W should be covered / wrapped to avoid drying out.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If light ranch dressing makes someone eat a few more raw vegetables, it has some nutritional value.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Individually wrapped mini sandwiches, less bread, different snacks...we will always find something to complain about.
Even if AA was serving a buffet a la Bellagio or Wynn...people would still complain. It is hard to please everybody when it comes to food.

Personally, I would appreciate some wine (4.6g of carbs in one glass...GASP!), sparkling wine/water or sodas so I don't have to bother the FA. Those pictures show only water?
For snacks, anything but doritos or lays or anything factory packaged please.

But I usually sleep all the way, day or night time...and I get really sleepy after the sundae (120g of carbs!!!!...fainting...)
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:59 pm

Here's my question from reading this thread--the 772 has a walk-up bar, too? Did I miss this?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Personally, I would appreciate some wine (4.6g of carbs in one glass...GASP!), sparkling wine/water or sodas so I don't have to bother the FA. Those pictures show only water?
On both of my flights, wine and sodas were placed out as well. (And there was always an FA in a jumpseat within view of the bar, so if you had wanted anything that wasn't out, it would have been easy to ask.)
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sts603
I'd think AA could cost optimize this and provide offerings based on what people really want on each flight.
I had that conversation with a FA on DFW-LHR, they said they were providing feedback to management on what was and wasn't being consumed on the flights with the hope that what was provided would be balanced accordingly.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DillMan
Is the picture above from one of the inaugural flights?

I've flown 50/51 twice since the new airplane came out. The first time we had water and the same snacks as the 777-200. The next 3 times (return of first trip plus one more roundtrip) they just had a tray from a trolley with a couple bags of chips. No water or other beverages at all were present.

I've never seen a setup like you see in the picture. Most of the time those shelves are filled with the FAs stuff or odds and ends from the service - like FA paperwork, leftover used pillows, etc.

This bar things seems like the worst of both worlds - it makes the FAs refuse to get you anything since they've been told the PAX will make use of the self service area and then they don't put anything out.

During my first daytime return flight the FA argued with me that the tap in the lavatory was drinkable because it was "a new airplane" and I should just refill my water bottle there. I saw a few people actually do this - I just went without until the second meal service. On my next return I decided to buy 3 bottles before departure which seemed to be a smart move. I saw a few people ask for more water and get totally denied

I think until the sex appeal of this new plane dies down we'll continue to see the most senior crews working these flights. Sadly those most senior FAs are the ones that want to do the least during the flight.
I've flown between DFW and LHR and between LHR and JFK, bar set up similar to the picture on each flight. As mentioned before, when I traveled in F, the FAs set up a mini version of the bar in the front Galley for F passengers.
Also wanted to note that in J, the FAs were more than happy to bring things from the bar to my seat.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
My question is do they offer liquid bread (aka "beer") in the walk up bar?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
I just like food. I dont care, If its edible i'll go for it. Heck, i even ate one of the AA pizza's cold and crunchy, i didnt care
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
My question is do they offer liquid bread (aka "beer") in the walk up bar?
I would be surprised if they did. I assume they're supposed to be monitoring your alcohol intake, making sure you don't get any further than managably under the influence. Obviously, we've all heard stories where that doesn't work out...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sinanju
I would be surprised if they did. I assume they're supposed to be monitoring your alcohol intake, making sure you don't get any further than managably under the influence. Obviously, we've all heard stories where that doesn't work out...
But from what I've read on this thread, they offer wine, (and Champagne in F) so that shouldn't be a concern..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.