A bunch of questions in one post

Old Apr 4, 13, 10:58 am
Original Poster

A bunch of questions in one post

For the sake of ease I'll combo all my questions in one post, thanks.

This past experience it's very interesting. First, I depart from PHL to DFW as OW Emerald. I thought for sure I can use the First Class side of BA lounge (combo Admiral's Lounge) in Terminal A-East because I'm OW Emerald. The man in there told me no and directed me to the J side. Interesting since I had no problem using the ORD AA Flagship Lounge. So who's right here, him or me?

Second is my experience at DFW. I tried to stand-by for earlier flight, and was told at the gate by an agent that "good luck, the plane is full." No problem, so I asked if First Class is open and I'm very willing to pay for it right then and there. Was told "nope, all seats full." Then I saw they have an "upgrade list" of 7 pax names and "stand by" list of 8 names, I am number 3. Forty minutes later I hear the "upgrade list" names get called up one at a time and 6 of 7 cleared. My question is this: wouldn't AA rather earn more money from me that wants to pay for a F seat rather than give it away for 500 miles? Doesn't bother me as I know as long as they cleared people from Y to F, then they have stand by seat for me, which I did get, but just wondering, isn't this bad business practice?

Finally, DFW is a major AA hub no? How come no Flagship Lounge?
Old Apr 4, 13, 11:16 am

You definitely should've had access to the F lounge in PHL as a OWE.

In DFW, sounds like the agent was having a bad day and/or giving you a hard time. Did you mean you were willing to pay for full fare F? In that case, the agent definitely should've allowed you to do that.

Were you confirmed in first class originally, or coach? The agent seemed to follow the correct procedure if you stood by for coach, which is to clear upgrades first.

Unless you were buying a new ticket (which likely would've been full fare F), following the upgrade process is the proper thing to do. EXPs get complimentary upgrades. Other elites can upgrade using 500-mile stickers. 500 miles is the usage range, not the cost. Elite upgrades shouldn't be passed over for TOD upgrades like they are at UA.

DFW is the major AA hub. It has essentially no competition there, and no need for a Flagship lounge. But the ACs there are quite nice.
Old Apr 4, 13, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
1.Far as I know Emeralds can use BA FC lounges.
How had you arrived/how were you departing ORD? FL requires same day flying on AA intl. or transcon (so no ORD) FC. If you had gotten there on CX I do not know how that is supposed to work.
Old Apr 4, 13, 11:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post

Finally, DFW is a major AA hub no? How come no Flagship Lounge?
For the reason you just cited. They don't need to, as has been discussed here many times.

For the future, can I suggest that you consider the Newbie Lounge thread for questions like this since they would really seem to belong there?

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 13, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bbkenney View Post
FL requires same day flying on AA intl. or transcon (so no ORD) FC. If you had gotten there on CX I do not know how that is supposed to work.
Not true for non-EXP oneworld Emeralds. The lounge access restrictions for purely domestic flights applies only to AA status members.
Old Apr 4, 13, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
DFW is the major AA hub. It has essentially no competition there, and no need for a Flagship lounge. But the ACs there are quite nice.
Originally Posted by brp View Post
For the reason you just cited. They don't need to, as has been discussed here many times.
You guys may have nailed the correct answer, but if so, then I'm curious about one thing: Why was the first Flagship Lounge (opened in 1998) located at DFW? Was its location a mistake?

At the time, DFW was not the fortress hub it is today, as Delta had yet to draw down its large domestic hub operation, but AFAIK, DL wasn't flying to Europe, Asia or S America from DFW - for those regions, AA was already the only game in town. Of course, the DFW FL has since closed, as has the BOS and MIA FLs.

MIA features more international competition and, of course, has previously featured a Flagship Lounge (opened, then closed, then reopened and then closed again). The other oddity is NRT, with substantial competition and yet never a Flagship Lounge.
Old Apr 4, 13, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
The other oddity is NRT, with substantial competition and yet never a Flagship Lounge.
I think there are only 3 daily departures from NRT for AA, so with a max of 45 paid F pax and a few EXP sprinkled here and there, and with JAL's F lounge, it probably doesn't make a lot of financial sense to invest in a Flagship Lounge in NRT, IMHO..
Old Apr 4, 13, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
I think there are only 3 daily departures from NRT for AA, so with a max of 45 paid F pax and a few EXP sprinkled here and there, and with JAL's F lounge, it probably doesn't make a lot of financial sense to invest in a Flagship Lounge in NRT, IMHO..
It's currently four (LAX, ORD and 2xDFW) but for several years it was five before JFK was cancelled. For a couple of years prior to the cancellation of SJC, it was six daily flights. That's a lot more international F than was ever flown from BOS. I agree that the JAL F lounge covers the need now, but our access to JAL lounges didn't happen until JAL joined Oneworld in April, 2007.

My point was that lack of competition might be the explanation for the DFW Flagship Lounge not reopening after the financial dark days of 2002, but NRT is an example of a station with lots of competition and a bunch of F seats yet never a FL. The good news was that the Admirals Club at NRT has always been pretty nice and since it moved to the JAL terminal, has been a very nice lounge. If AA served curry beef and rice, I wouldn't have to bother the nice ladies at the JAL F lounge desk.
Old Apr 4, 13, 2:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Why would any Emerald use AA lounge when JL is awesome.
Old Apr 4, 13, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
I tried to stand-by for earlier flight, and was told at the gate by an agent that "good luck, the plane is full." No problem, so I asked if First Class is open and I'm very willing to pay for it right then and there.
OP- please clarify this? You were going to buy a new ticket on a different flight thereby cancelling your existing ticket?

Was you domestic flight stand alone or part of a continuing tkt?
Old Apr 4, 13, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
It's currently four (LAX, ORD and 2xDFW) but for several years it was five before JFK was cancelled. For a couple of years prior to the cancellation of SJC, it was six daily flights. That's a lot more international F than was ever flown from BOS. I agree that the JAL F lounge covers the need now, but our access to JAL lounges didn't happen until JAL joined Oneworld in April, 2007.

My point was that lack of competition might be the explanation for the DFW Flagship Lounge not reopening after the financial dark days of 2002, but NRT is an example of a station with lots of competition and a bunch of F seats yet never a FL. The good news was that the Admirals Club at NRT has always been pretty nice and since it moved to the JAL terminal, has been a very nice lounge. If AA served curry beef and rice, I wouldn't have to bother the nice ladies at the JAL F lounge desk.
Valid points! Although, in addition to the curry beef, I also appreciate the free massages and the exquisite quality and selection of adult beverages offered at the JL F Lounge!!
Old Apr 4, 13, 8:06 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys may have nailed the correct answer, but if so, then I'm curious about one thing: Why was the first Flagship Lounge (opened in 1998) located at DFW? Was its location a mistake?

At the time, DFW was not the fortress hub it is today, as Delta had yet to draw down its large domestic hub operation, but AFAIK, DL wasn't flying to Europe, Asia or S America from DFW - for those regions, AA was already the only game in town. Of course, the DFW FL has since closed, as has the BOS and MIA FLs.
DL Used to fly from DFW to FRA from 1984 to 1995. In that time frame I think AA only had LGW and NRT for international flights.

http://www.departedflights.com/DLDFWhub.html
Old Apr 4, 13, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT

MIA features more international competition and, of course, has previously featured a Flagship Lounge (opened, then closed, then reopened and then closed again). The other oddity is NRT, with substantial competition and yet never a Flagship Lounge.
There's a half-built FL at MIA right now, that should hopefully see construction start up again. Construction was halted when BK was declared.
Old Apr 4, 13, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
DL Used to fly from DFW to FRA from 1984 to 1995. In that time frame I think AA only had LGW and NRT for international flights.

You're right, but the DFW Flagship Lounge didn't open until 1998 - by then, I think that DL's FRA flight had ended. And by time the FL opened, AA was flying to Brazil, Chile, Manchester, Paris and perhaps others.
Old Apr 4, 13, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNL View Post

That wasn't true for AA. AA flew to ORY.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: