Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A bunch of questions in one post

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
You're right, but the DFW Flagship Lounge didn't open until 1998 - by then, I think that DL's FRA flight had ended. And by time the FL opened, AA was flying to Brazil, Chile, Manchester, Paris and perhaps others.
I guess DFW FL was needed for accommodating JAL F passengers.

Also I believe one of the main reason for the closure of DFW FL is JAL's withdrawal from DFW just after 9/11.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I guess DFW FL was needed for accommodating JAL F passengers.
I doubt that the DFW Flagship Lounge was opened in 1998 (almost nine years before JAL became a member of Oneworld) because of one daily JAL flight. AA had at least half a dozen daily international flights featuring F when the lounge opened. I don't recall if AA and JAL had a lounge arrangement at DFW in 1998 but that was the year that AA and JAL began some codesharing.

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Also I believe one of the main reason for the closure of DFW FL is JAL's withdrawal from DFW just after 9/11.
I'd have to disagree with this as the DFW and MIA Flagship Lounges were closed in February, 2003, when the losses were mounting and Carty announced that the 763s would be reconfigured to 2-class service.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alhcfp
OP- please clarify this? You were going to buy a new ticket on a different flight thereby cancelling your existing ticket?

Was you domestic flight stand alone or part of a continuing tkt?
Stand alone, I told the agent I'm either willing to upsell (if possible) or buy a new F ticket outright, she simply replied, "all full", and then proceed to upgrade a list of people after that, which prompted my question, don't AA want to make money?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Stand alone, I told the agent I'm either willing to upsell (if possible) or buy a new F ticket outright, she simply replied, "all full", and then proceed to upgrade a list of people after that, which prompted my question, don't AA want to make money?
I have to believe that the agent didn't fully understand that you were willing to spend major money to leapfrog the upgrade list. Agents probably get an awful lot of upgrade inquries by people who would never pay a change fee plus lots of additional fare. Someone wanting to buy an F seat at the gate (for whatever AA charges) is probably a very rare instance for a gate agent.

Were you holding a credit card in your hand (as if to offer it to the agent) when you inquired?

OTOH, perhaps the agent understood yet was lazy and didn't want to be bothered by upfaring a ticket or selling a new F ticket. My guess is the former, not the latter.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
OTOH, perhaps the agent understood yet was lazy and didn't want to be bothered by upfaring a ticket or selling a new F ticket. My guess is the former, not the latter.
I certainly don't know how an agent can misunderstood a clearly spoken sentence: "Is there any F seats open? I'm willing to pay for it right now if there is any available."
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I certainly don't know how an agent can misunderstood a clearly spoken sentence: "Is there any F seats open? I'm willing to pay for it right now if there is any available."
Seats open? Seats unassigned? or seats for sale? Willing to pay for what? An upgrade with stickers? I can easily see how it could be misunderstood.

Perhaps - "Are there any F seats available for purchase? I'm willing to pay whatever it costs either as a new ticket or upfaring my current ticket."
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikelat
Seats open? Seats unassigned? or seats for sale? Willing to pay for what? An upgrade with stickers? I can easily see how it could be misunderstood.

Perhaps - "Are there any F seats available for purchase? I'm willing to pay whatever it costs either as a new ticket or upfaring my current ticket."
If you guys want to defend your beloved AA that's fine, but please don't play word games. If an AA agent can't comprehend what I have said, or have the courtesy to ask for clarification, or Compulsively Overthink it like you did, I guess now I know why AA was bankrupt and needed this merger.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.