FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Oversells AA76, Strands 27 8th Graders at LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1454553-aa-oversells-aa76-strands-27-8th-graders-lax.html)

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Apr 2, 13 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 20524690)
and the AAgent decided not to IDB people who should not have been IDB.

There's an extra "not" in there.

SJOGuy Apr 2, 13 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by alhcfp (Post 20522914)
Actually I can assign fault based on known facts.

The reporter and editors did a horrible job. Anyone with any knowledge of how the airline world works would have asked about IDB comp.

I agree completely. But the details of IDB don't make for gripping television. A breathless "SCHOOL GROUP BOOTED FROM AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT. DETAILS AT 11" gets the ratings. A shame.

laggers Apr 2, 13 3:25 pm

There are three sides to every story. Left, Right and what actually happened. This is one sided.

rjque Apr 2, 13 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 20524602)
Here's what is in the conditions of carriage:

Tons of room there for AA to have IDB'd six other pax.

bbkenney Apr 2, 13 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by norf9 (Post 20522115)
I would say that the principal really dropped the ball by flying without seat assignments and not having a contingency plan if the flight was cancelled or they got bumped. Why should those 6 other pax have to pay for his irresponsibility?

Yeah, we all know that EVERYbody has a bp when they get to the airport. HA! Of course the group should have been checked in and issued bp from home the day before but the fact is, many don't and I wouldn't call them them irresponsible.

SOBE ER DOC Apr 2, 13 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 20525036)
Tons of room there for AA to have IDB'd six other pax.

True, but if AA did that how is that fair to people who were not first in line to IDB'd. If you jumped that group to IDB me I'd be fuming and pitching a major fit. There is a process and it needs to be followed.

What I find interesting is that a group of Southern CA students were "stranded" and Southern CA. Really?!? So they got stranded at home?

While I sympathize with the group's predicament, this is not AA's fault. If the flight is oversold it's oversold.

justforfun Apr 2, 13 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC (Post 20525326)
While I sympathize with the group's predicament, this is not AA's fault. If the flight is oversold it's oversold.

So AA isn't the one who oversold the flight?

diver858 Apr 2, 13 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by beerup (Post 20524346)
They did use a travel agent that specializes in school group travel.

If true, one call from the principal to the travel agent would have involved an advocate with knowledge of the situation, available options. I also find it hard to believe that a travel agent specializing in school group travel, booking flights for first time flyers during a heavy travel period, did not find a way to get seats assignments for the entire group.

jayer Apr 2, 13 5:05 pm

Hopefully somebody who knows a previously unquoted adult on the trip can get the facts and translate what was really said and what really happened, since the story as reported just does not make sense (meaning especially the part about the GA told your choice of either the leftover six or the deplaned entire group "would have to buy new tickets"). Odds are we will never know enough facts to know anything, but I'll bet for what the hotel layover costs AA the GA could have found volunteers. Oh and my vote for the big villain might be the travel agent for not getting them all checked in and 24 hours.

rjque Apr 2, 13 5:09 pm

True, but if AA did that how is that fair to people who were not first in line to IDB'd. If you jumped that group to IDB me I'd be fuming and pitching a major fit. There is a process and it needs to be followed.

What I find interesting is that a group of Southern CA students were "stranded" and Southern CA. Really?!? So they got stranded at home?

There is nothing fair about the IDB process - AA is screwing someone, it's just a matter of who gets screwed. Most airlines, including AA, leave themselves some discretion to avoid just this type of scenario. It sounds like they should have used some common sense and exercised that discretion here, though the fact that the group is claiming that they had to buy new tickets tells me that there is something missing from this story.

mczlaw Apr 2, 13 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 20523630)
My son or daughter would already be EXP. They would already know how to get themselves to DC, and upgrade themselves to boot. Earning the maximum number of miles possible.

Now, that's funny. Comment following funny too but for all the wrong reasons.

Am I correct that the only facts we have is Post #1 which tells us nothing except everyone has to buy a new ticket? Which cannot be correct?
Facts? Who needs facts. Idle speculation and theoretical arguments are so much more gratifying.

*** If you jumped that group to IDB me I'd be fuming and pitching a major fit. There is a process and it needs to be followed.

An impressive show of compassion. Hope I never land in this doc's emergency room.

--mcz

brp Apr 2, 13 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw (Post 20525570)

An impressive show of compassion. Hope I never land in this doc's emergency room.

Exactly. Someone who wants a perk that they've earned is showing a lack of compassion in actually wanting it.

May I presume that you pay more than your due taxes as a show of compassion to those less fortunate? :D

Cheers.

HkCaGu Apr 2, 13 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 20524084)
What if you need to be somewhere for an interview (that cannot be rescheduled) to make more money to take care of an ill family member? You get to tell them that they can't go because you FEEL that their reason isn't important enough?

This is well short of "my mother is dying in Lubbock" (in which UA IAH broke policy to hold the connecting flight). It may take picking more than six people to IDB six people, but having a flight depart with 21 empty seats (minus any standbys that may be present) is not acceptable. You can have and should follow a policy of IDB/VDB priorities, but inseparability of disabled and minor passengers ought to override such policy.

TravelerMSY Apr 2, 13 7:09 pm

Unfortunate what happened to that group. But this is better for FT than the 6 or more threads about "I got IDB'd over a lousy school group" we'd be reading if they accommodated the group.

Anyone know what the resolution was?

Pucnit Apr 2, 13 7:10 pm

AA Oversells AA76, Strands 27 8th Graders at LAX

The GA should have had the testicular fortitude to do what's right, walk on the plane and pull 6 people off. Policies are made for 99% of the situations not the <1% when you have 30 people on one reservation.

If I was this GA's boss they would be suspended or fired for putting the company at risk. Quite frankly they probably called me down to help and if this still happened AA should fire me too.

Just because your a GA or work as a sales associate at a retail store doesn't mean you are not accountable for making good business decisions.

There had to have been creative solutions that are cost marginal in this situation it's an employee's job to find them. Then the headline could read: Passengers Get Free First Class Flight For Helping Local Students