Safety and Customer Service [email protected]

Old Feb 4, 01, 12:02 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Safety and Customer Service [email protected]

Greetings Fellow Frequent Flyers,
I want to thank the fantastic contributers world wide out there who post/share valuable information very often.I plan to take more time and post some equally helpful contributions this year in return.Will be reaching out to all of you here today especially Americans Executive Platinums,Platinums and Gold for your feedback and advice with what I consider to be rather serious problems at American Airlines.It is because of your mostly positive feedback here at Web Flyer on AAs program I decided to leave United as a highly satisfied Premier Executive for which I had been for the last 5 years.The strength of the AA program and lifetime platinum @ 2 million discussed here convinced me to give it a try.I came with the intention or possibility of a lifetime relationship at AA. Since flying AA in 2000 I turned Platinum and currently now reaching in the next few months my first million account miles for lifetime Gold.
My first major concern issue at American happened on Flight 1397 @ 3 PM on the 12-07 flight from JFK to Miami.The recent death in Miami of a dedicated American Airline flight attendant was still haunting me in my mind that day. My final destination was to have been Orlando but never got there nor did my luggage. It was business as usual that day on the tarmac till we went roaring down the runway and the pilot jammed on his brakes right at the point before lift off and aborted take off due to possible engine failure concerns from what was later explained to me by the crew.A good thing better safe then sorry.One has to appreciate after the fact of the well trained pilots quick and swift decision. Wish the plane had been serviced or tested properly before hand in a more perfect world.The last 6 months of saftey incidents are not looking all that well @ American from my after the incident research(public record available to all)We all know it could happen one day anytime to any of us.For me it was close enough.The staff on board never spoke or even communicated until considerably later (when the pilot did) as an entire plane sat worried & silently stunned. (which at the moment of incident seemed like an eternity).All we hoped to hear was we were out of danger........ better late then never when the pilot announced no need for concern today other then the overheated brakes which could cause fire or failure? Upon returning to the gate they mentioned they wanted to get the plane turned around & airborne ASAP.About 5 other business travelers and myself got off the flight.Was able to get rebooked with some considerable work and a change of airports.Having flown every airline in this country with the exception of Northwest I know what I would have expected that day with regard to assistance in lesser situations But it was barely offered.Will give the Admirals Club credit for at least showing personal concern.
Upon returning I called consumer relations like a gentleman and got the worst response I have had in 25 years of flying.Their first response was somewhat o.k. That a form letter of apology and some stock gesture will be sent out to all on board.Sort of one size fits all regardless of each individuals experince or problems . She then said you don't have to accept it and you can have nothing instead if you don't like it.Not quite the response I was hoping to hear. The so call promised letter still has not arrived to date more then 2 months later.Even Delta who I rarely fly has done stock good will gestures for silly things like hydrolic fluid leak delays on the runway within 2 to 3 weeks. And that is for non- elite. AA has not offered a single act of compensation/goodwill gesture of any kind.
Had explained to American by phone I went without luggage for one day(delayed) paid for some minor overnight incidentals (Airline law requires reimbursement),a missed no show in Orlando @ my hotel and the overall experience itself.Have also had some recent short term(I hope) flying fears on recent flights as a recent result of the incident.The final spoken verdict from AA consumer relations supervisor after I suggested a little better consideration was It is human nature to think you are entitled to compensation when you clearly are not.What does management tell or train these agents to say or deal in an effective way with clients?!There were some thoughts running through my mind but I will keep this polite here.Haven't flown United at all since this past summer and they sent me 35,000 apology bonus miles and 2 confirmable upgrades due to labor woes. In my case with United a few minor delayed or cancelled flights. Clearly overly generous compensation. In addition they gave me hundreds of dollars in travel vouchers on the day of effected travel.American wouldn't even give me retroactive credit for my outbound flight!It was all their fault for these problems.This could have easily been resolved or turned around without destoying the short/long term business relationship This is an area that UA has done a superior customer relations job this past year during the chaos period with labor issues even on regularly cancelled and rebooked flights.United this past summer rebooked me in First Class at their expense on their competitors with purchased economy seats .I guess I should be grateful that at least American returned my unused upgrade after leaving the ill fated aircraft. In Americans defense there is a lot of good happening with their company a great ff program, excellent marketing partners a fine upgrade system, One World Alliance, good helpful mostly friendly flight crews, reservation agents & Reasonably good Admirals Clubs.The future with passenger relationships could be extrodinary with this merger and new terminals if they knew how to respond even in a fair basic manner like Ladies and gentleman.Will also share one other major pet peeve besides their obvious website problems an idustry embarrassment.
In the same problem and tone as consumer relations is Account Activity customer service.My account has been incorrect up to 200,000 miles at a time!They have never taken the time to ever contact me or follow up any inquiry in anyway.Promised follow ups never happen.One agent even threatened to make negative personal comments on my account for calling in for missing account activity.When I asked for her name she hung up. On a future call I was told to write in as it was partner activity and they can't handle any inquiry on the phone unless its an American flight. Some agents will make an exception My account is still wrong at AA.Have given up.I will fly out in former gratitude to Mileage Plus and kiss their feet for their past outstanding service. This is one kind well trained group that shows a huge repect for its clients with a can do attitude.
In the meantime have had to refrain from doing anymore flying with American until I can resolve these issues.American what on earth are you doing to or for your valued clients??????????????? Thank you all for your feedback here on webflyer Have taken your advice and will send a similar outline of this letter and will foward this to Don Carty and Mike Gunn.I don't have any expectations from American other then to make management aware of these issues. At least if I don't ever return I will have shared these experiences with as many other fellow business and leisure travelers.Will report any follow up from American if ever there is any. Happy,Safe Travels All!!!!!

------------------
AA & Starwood Platinum
Hyatt& Hilton Diamond
U/A Premier Exec

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 02-17-2001).]
Old Feb 4, 01, 12:34 am

Sorry for all of your bad experiences!
As a former CO flyer, I recently have changed to AA due to relocation to DFW. Even though I had reservations about the move simply because of the airline that I fly, I had to say that AA treated me well so far. For one thing, you might have known about the CO's EUA, before EUA as a Silver (their lowest Elite) I was 2/3 for upgrades, after EUA and after making Gold, I was only a miserable 2/6. With that in mind, I did not feel bad changing to AA at all, since AA's MRTC, which beats CO's Coach hands down, I actually enjoyed flying more.

About airine safety, that is always a touchy issue, I remembered last year's AS 261 crash very clearly, since I was flying AA to SNA and at the time of the crash we were on our approach. I always had a thought in my mind that it could very well happen to me. I talked to my wife that day and she was very worried about my safety, (remember all the MD-80 emergency landings that AA,DL, and AS did after the crash?) I told her if it is time for me to go, then it is time, even though I know that it is not fair to us flyers when the airines do not maintain their aircrafts properly, but hey we will never know until something like that happens. Nonetheless, I have a lot of faith in AA's maintenance crew, for they have one of the best safety records in the industry.

I have written a complaint to CO about my hour and a half wait at the IAH's Baggage claim and till this day, I haven't receive anything from them. I have to say that I left CO with a little sense of frustration.
I guess I mean that situations are all unique, and you can always find bad apples in the all the industries today. If changing airline feels good to you, then by all means do it, I have done it, and I felt great

------------------
Al

[This message has been edited by afang (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old Feb 4, 01, 12:45 am

Hi 777,

I must admit first of all that your past experiences with AA have been rather traumatic. If I were you, I would probably have gotten into a fit thinking about nothing else but the conversation with the CSR alone. Nothing sickens me more than a bad connection, if you get what I mean.

My experiences with AA in the past year, however, have all been extraordinary. And I am only a lowly Gold, so I think that they should have treated you (EXP?) a whole lot better. Maybe it was a bad day, maybe it was a bad coincidence, or perhaps... nah, it was just a bad coincidence on a bad day. And no, I do not think that it is human nature to think that one should get compensated when one obviously deserves not to. But I do believe that it is human nature to be down and out at times. The best I can imagine is that CSR had a really bad day, perhaps a tiff with a superior, or maybe threats of being laid off. As a CSR, she should not have been so downright rude, but let's let it pass just this once more.

Write to Mike Gunn himself, highlighting your whole experience, and nicely but forcefully demand for everything wrong to be corrected. Send in all flight passes and other documents as well, especially for partner airlines. I fly with Japan Airlines often and never have problems with mile-postings. Just make sure your agent inputs your AAdvantage number at the time of booking. You could also whip up the EXP card at check-in to drive home the point. I have so much confidence in American, that I can say for sure that you will receive a satisfactory reply.

I wrote to CS 2 weeks ago concerning a recent flight delay and subsequent misconnection and layover. This week I got a response in the form of a postcard saying that my feedback was noted and is being reviewed. In it was also clearly spelt out that the postcard was not a reply to the matter but merely a response confirming that they had received my feedback and that things are being done to correct the wrong. American does take care of us loyal frequent flyers. Even not-so-frequent flyers have graced these boards to sing praises of AA, because as I mentioned before, it seems to me that American truly endeavours to put everything right for everyone, not only the elites.

Do this just once more. Stick with AA for this one last time before calling it a day. If even this fails, then maybe your time with AA is up. Then email me, anyhow, and we will talk some more.

StAAy well,
Maple

------------------
Flew every one of those 25,000 Q-miles and onto 50,000!
Old Feb 4, 01, 12:49 am

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
On my way from LHR to SFO during Christmas, the flight delayed and I arrive 2 hours later (12:30a->2:30a). It seems to be a weather problem but everyone in the plane is so sad that we pulled off the gate but wait for hours in the runway.

AA sent me (standard letter I think) a letter last week and explaining the situation. Although when I recive the letter I do hope some miles, but no. I still fully understand and think this is a good act.

Maybe your letter will arrive in 2 months time.

I know your situation is different and I do encounter some very bad and rude AA employee, but there are still many good one and I am sure you will encounter one of them and buy back your loyalty.

HK-UMICH, tiny little discounted flyer for fun

Old Feb 4, 01, 1:13 pm

Just bringing this thread higher up for any further comments.
Old Feb 4, 01, 2:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Hi Maple,
First let me thank you for your concern and input. Also moving my post up for others to comment.
I will be sending off a letter to American directed @ Mike Gunn and Don Carty.Have no expectations but I would be very interested to see if there is a follow up.For me the closure comes after the letter is mailed. Like yourself most of my experiences at AA have all been highly satisfactory .But when will they be kind? In a more difficult situation... Now I am starting to understand the anger and backlash that must have happened with the strike they had back some time ago. When will kindness truly prevail? When the plane crashes and the lawyers represent our families? This is simple Ladies and Gentleman stuff to update ones account and post unposted retroactive credit.It happens around the world without to much difficulty more often then not. At American it is like taking away their new born! One agent @ American was the ultimate customer service horror story on 12-18.After asking her for her name she hung up the phone. I had asked her why there was this ongoing extreme difficulty of getting all of these transactions posted for the last 6 months.In one instance I had put a total count of 70 500 mile certificates I mailed in and certified. Not only was their count incorrect but nobody for months would give me the time of day to correct it.Have numerous stories all at AA on the same similar situations. Had Explained that I have never had the degree off dificulty and lack of follow up at other carriers. She then went on to threaten me by saying she was going to put negative comments into my account saying that I could never be pleased at American.Even after I had praised American on all other levels.Was the only time in 20 years I was shaken by such a routine call.Rumors has it that Advantage Customer service is a seperately outsourced and privately owned for profit company.Have not confirmed this yet.This may explain why I get outstanding kind service in person and when buying tickets on the phone FROM the Platinum reps who are terrific.There was a time I saw going up to the next level to Executive Platinum but they have effectivly made that impossible.The help desk also needs major help .The supervisor could not even find a current promo in the most recent newsletter after 1 hour with me on hold (pathetic).One post at Flyer Talk and I had the answer in 15 minutes.They should hire flyer talk members be paid to get the info right!!!!!!!!
More of this pathetic saga to continue as well as any outcome Thanx Again!!!!!!

------------------
AA & Starwood Platinum
Diamond Hyatt, Hilton Gold
U/A Premier Exec

Search this Thread