Platinum challenge question

Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Platinum challenge question

Know this topic was discussed several times in the past, but somehow I couldn't find the links... can someone so kindly and help me out here -

Both my hubby and I usually fly AA... However, this may be the first yr which we will fly more UA than AA and looking at our schedule, we may miss Platinum level, so I want to know the rules of playing the Platinum challenge.

1. Should we call a day or two ahead prior to the next big trip (after being downgraded) and register for the challenge? OR you need to do it in writing, fax??

2. Is this challenge thing a one time thing or can you challenge again in a yr or couple yrs??

3. How soon will your status change? for example, if after flying one leg of the trip, your total miles (pts) quality you, will your status reflect right away??

Thanks,
Helen
Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:17 am

Helen -- Here is a great place to look up the Challenge rules: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/challenge.html .
Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
To answer your questions.

1. PLT challenge starts 1st or 16th of any month. You must call AAdv customer service to register before flying. There's no other known way to register and you'll receive no confirmation of any kind that you are registered. You can register for the PLT challenge only if your current status is basic or Gold.

2. The challenge is apparently a one-time thing.

3. As soon as your challenge-completing flight is posted your status will be updated even though it may take a while before you get your new card. You'll receive the elite status bonus on this flight too.

One last note, if you start the challenge in the first half of the year, then the status you gain will last only until Feb2002 and you must use the rest of 2001 to requalify for PLT. This would be flight activity on top of the 10k Q-points you accrued to make the challenge. [Ignore this last sentence, see correction of error pointed out by Thumper below.]

Please also refer to my unofficial guide website (link below) for more details.

FewMiles..

------------------
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/

[This message has been edited by FewMiles (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old Jan 25, 2001, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Question for FewMiles:
I completed my Platinum challenge January 15, with a BDL,JFK,LAX,JFK,BDL milage run. I completed my challenge on the LAX to JFK return leg. Are you saying that this entire trip can't be used for my next years recert?

In other words, I'm Plat for now to 3/02. These miles will not count towards 3/02-3/03?

Thumper

Old Jan 25, 2001, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I completed my Platinum challenge January 15, with a BDL,JFK,LAX,JFK,BDL milage run. I completed my challenge on the LAX to JFK return leg. Are you saying that this entire trip can't be used for my next years recert?

In other words, I'm Plat for now to 3/02. These miles will not count towards 3/02-3/03?
Oops, I think you right, me wrong. I was a little hasty with my previous response.

All flight activity during the 2001 qualifying year, including activity used to complete a challenge, should count towards qualification for 2002 status, as shown by the Q-miles and Q-points counters not being reset after completing the challenge. Any challenge activity which occured before 01Jan wouldn't count though.

Thanks for pointing that out, Thumper.

FewMiles..

------------------
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/

[This message has been edited by FewMiles (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old Jan 25, 2001, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
FewMiles, good job on your Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage site.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 1:13 pm

Fewmiles,

Where were you when I was in college - when I really needed someone with the answers to copy off of?

As always, you are on time and on the money. And a tremendous resource. And greatly appreciated.

Thumper
Old Jan 25, 2001, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Thanks everyone, and esp Fewmiles' unoffical AA guide!! great tips!!

Old Jan 25, 2001, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
The segment of the trip that makes you gold or platinum will accrue the bonus you are entitled to at that level of status.

------------------
DtG
Old Jan 25, 2001, 6:13 pm

I am an Elite1 on TWA who has asked American to comp me to Platinum. If they do not give me Platinum status I would like to attempt this via a challenge.

The problem is that I am not familiar with how a challenge works. Can someone tell me how to go about this and who to contact?
Old Jan 26, 2001, 6:53 am

Lake1, welcome aboard!

Earlier in this thread is a reference and link to the "unoficial guide to AA". Is the advice good and reliable? It certainly is, and I recently completed a challenge based on information I learned there.

Click on the link. It's great stuff. At least twice a month someone new comes on ansd starts a new thread asking questions similar to yours. Most of those questions can be answered at fewmiles site.

If you still have any questions, post 'em. the people here are great and eager to share.

Thumper
Old Jan 27, 2001, 2:16 am

Here's a few questions:

1) Like UA, does AA give operational upgrades often?

2) I'll be flying BKK-NRT-DFW-DEN on the 29th & back on the 18th. If I take the challenge, will I get PLAT? And will I get 100% bonus miles for all the sectors from BKK?

3) When is AA scheduled to start flying to HKG?

4) Will AA give me any systemwides this year for achieving PLAT?

Thanks guys.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
1. On those routes, I don't know. I don't think of operational upgrades as all that common for PLT members -- I got maybe 1 or 2 a year.

2. If you're already Premier Executive or 1K, don't take the challenge! Show your card to an AA agent and get Platinum status on the spot. Do this before you leave on the 29th, so that you can get the 100% bonus on the entire trip.

3. Don't know.

4. AA does not give out system wide upgrades for PLT status.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 7:13 am

In BKK,AA doesn't have an online office and when I called them for getting comped,she didn't have any clue of what I was talking about!Should I fly to NRT and then get it done at the AA lounge?Anyone ever had that done there?
Old Jan 27, 2001, 8:27 am

I doubt AA staff at Narita would know about comping. They might know it. I talked to an AA agent in TYO last year and I asked her to check with the sales department. She called me back a few days later and asked all kinds of questions such as how much I make a year and what profession I am in, etc. She said she needed such info for submitting a request for comping.

As for BKK-NRT-DFW-DEN, if you are flying business, I guess you would qualifty for Plat. challenge.

If economy, then I think it's enough for gold challenge, provided that you take JL's codeshares as AA flights and they count as AA miles.

You have to choose either Plat or Gold challenge before you start it, I think.

If you also fly CX economy and don't live in Canada, it will not be counted toward mileage. I don't exactly remember but I think ex-BKK, AA uses M or S for the CX sectors.

You wouldn't bother flying UA or TG or the like, I suppose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.