Search

Milage run overload!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2001, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Milage run overload!

What's AA trying to do to me! Webspecials galore:
1) ORD-ZRH $279 (ORD-DFW-ZRH and return + EUR00-15,000 for me)
2) ORD-TPE $519 (ORD-SJC-TPE and return + SCJTP)
Now
3) ORD-EZE $779 (ORD-DFW-MIA and return)

Need more vouchers or lotto or FFA group .
Old Jan 27, 2001, 3:51 pm

Correct if I am wrong, if you use these discounted tkts the pt value would be .5? And to achieve 10,000pts for Plat challenge, it would not be that worth it?

Old Jan 27, 2001, 5:31 pm

You are not wrong in the calculation, but you are perhaps, IMHO, wrong in the other. 10,000 q-points for Plat challenge means you fly 20,000 q-miles on discounted, non-Y economy. That's about 1.5 trips to Europe (which earn you other non-q bonus miles too), which is more than fair at current prices. It works out to less than $0.02 per mile, in most cases. Choose funky connections and you might make it for the Platinum Challenge with just one trip (say, about $280 from most US departure cities, taxes included). Now's the best time to attain Plat through the challenge, but as for me, I am trying not to do the Plat challenge yet as it's a once in a lifetime thing. I think I will fly enough this year to make it to 50,000.

Platinum has it's unquestionable benefits, second to none (EXP is way too far out for my humble imagination).

Maple

------------------
Flew every one of those 25,000 Q-miles and onto 50,000!
Old Jan 27, 2001, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
BTW doubt if i'll have the time or the $ to do any, but it's nice to dream
Old Jan 27, 2001, 6:52 pm

Come on, crAAzy!

Do the ORD-ZRH trip and get the last of your EUR00 before it's passed over! It's never too early to secure next year's elite status!

Maple

------------------
Flew every one of those 25,000 Q-miles and onto 50,000!
Old Jan 27, 2001, 10:37 pm

I agree CrAAzy that AA is sure tempting me to get on their planes. I have two flights to Europe in the next 2 months and contemplating NRT in April or May. Perhaps, Executive Plat. this year, but that is quite a number of trips in one year ... maybe not.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally posted by maple:
Come on, crAAzy!

Do the ORD-ZRH trip and get the last of your EUR00 before it's passed over! It's never too early to secure next year's elite status!

Maple
Couldn't agree more! I took the advice that a dear friend gave me over the New Year's weekend in DC when I was lamenting the fact that I probably would not have much opportunity to travel this year, etc.: "Bill, this is what you love doing; find a way to make it happen."

Did my first mileage run of the year last weekend, ORD-LHR-ORD, and will repeat it February 3-4. Then I'm off to Paris February 22-27. At the end of the first two months of the year I will be half way to qualifying, again, for PLT not to mention having earned all of the PLT and EUR00 bonus miles.

crAAzy - perhaps you, too, can "find a way to make it happen." Best of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.