Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpectedly got Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2001, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Unexpectedly got Platinum

Was really surprised to get a card in the mail today saying "We're delighted to inform you that your AAdvantage membership is being elevated to Platinum status effective immediately....valid through February 2002."

I made Gold for the first time last year, and flew a bit more than 45K miles on American for the year with 30 segments (I was thinking of asking on FT if anyone was closer to the next level and did NOT do a mileage run).

I was even thinking it would be really a stretch to get Gold again because although I flew more than 160K miles last year, about 120K was on EVA to Asia, with just one RT on CX that got American miles because EVA was not available, and plus one segment on AA's codeshare with EVA to TPE. My flights on AA last year were all SJC to SNA at 1K miles each RT, except for 2 RT SJC to PHX which were only 1.2K each.

Not complaining of course to get Platinum, but just wonder how this happened? I did not ask for it.

Old Jan 27, 2001, 2:41 am

I think it may be your specific profile of flying from SJC-TPE and other parts of Asia. Since AA is starting SJC-TPE service this April (read threads on $400 fares), they would like to encourage frequent travellers on this route to sample AA. Enjoy it .
Old Jan 27, 2001, 3:57 pm

Congrats Siliconengineer, although I had doubts you could see this since y'all are running out of power over there
Old Jan 27, 2001, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by SJC2ISP:
I think it may be your specific profile of flying from SJC-TPE and other parts of Asia. Since AA is starting SJC-TPE service this April (read threads on $400 fares), they would like to encourage frequent travellers on this route to sample AA. Enjoy it .
Thanks for the suggestion, SJC2ISP, but then, how does AA know that I fly frequently to Asia? I have not taken AA from SJC to NRT at all, and how would they know about my EVA flights of which only one leg once was on the AA codeshare.

The other thing might be that I have had a lot of other activity with getting AA credit for hotel stays (and got bonus miles in the Starwood promotion!) and many meals on restaurants in the dining program.

I may try the AA SJC/TPE later, but I don't like the arrival time which I think is something like 7pm TPE, since I usually have to connect to elsewhere which means arriving my final destination around 1am.

Anyways, I do appreciate getting Pt.

Afang, we still have power...at least today. You may know if we go out also if your favorite Web site is not availalbe because many Web sites are hosted on server farms here.

Old Jan 27, 2001, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
A few years ago, I got bumped up to Platinum with about 48,000 miles and about 55 segments. I wrote a nice email, sent it to a friend's friend who worked at AA at the time, and asked if it could be forwarded to the right people.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 9:45 pm

Originally posted by siliconengineer:
Thanks for the suggestion, SJC2ISP, but then, how does AA know that I fly frequently to Asia? I have not taken AA from SJC to NRT at all, and how would they know about my EVA flights of which only one leg once was on the AA codeshare.

The other thing might be that I have had a lot of other activity with getting AA credit for hotel stays (and got bonus miles in the Starwood promotion!) and many meals on restaurants in the dining program.

I may try the AA SJC/TPE later, but I don't like the arrival time which I think is something like 7pm TPE, since I usually have to connect to elsewhere which means arriving my final destination around 1am.

Anyways, I do appreciate getting Pt.

Afang, we still have power...at least today. You may know if we go out also if your favorite Web site is not availalbe because many Web sites are hosted on server farms here.

I am not sure but maybe AA requested some information from EVA about this route. After all they are partners and Eva would get increased intra-Asia traffic from the AA flyers that land in TPE. In any case, you did fly once on the AA ticket so they knew you have done this route before. But why do you worry. Enjoy the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.