Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meal Service in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2001, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Meal Service in Business Class

There was a thread earlier about meal preferences on airlines, and I have a related but different question.

I will be traveling ORD-ARN and DFW-LGW in business class later this year. Is the odd/even (east/west) system the same on wide bodied aircraft as on the narrow body? Is there a better side of the plane to sit on (AB vs HJ on 777)?

Also, I am traveling from DFW to SJU this weekend, and noticed that both the eastbound and westbound flights are even numbered flights. My guess is that odd/even takes priority over east/west. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 24, 2001, 6:12 pm
Original Member

Meal rules also apply to widebody aircraft. Sides do not matter as the F/As split the food (i.e. 10 beef -- each FA gets 5 with each FA serving one aisle). If one runs out of beef, s/he will tell you that and see if the other FA has any left.

In terms of this weekend -- it should follow the normal e/w rules -- but I am surprised that is the case -- I just checked my timetable and all flights from DFW-SJC were odd while SJC-DFW were even -- of course, my timetable may be out of date.

--Jim

Old Jan 24, 2001, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I've already changed my seats.

As for the flight this weekend, it is to San Juan (SJU), not SJC. It is unusual, but both my east and westbound flights are even numbered.
Old Jan 24, 2001, 8:40 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
On the flights from Europe to the US, I prefer the HJ side as the AB side gets very hot as the sun is always shining on that side of the plane.
Old Jan 24, 2001, 10:53 pm

Speaking of preferences due to heat, the word Posh is actually derived from an acronym dating back to the days of the big ocean liners. POSH stood for Port Outbound and Starboard Home - that was the best side of the boat for the sun exposure.
Old Jan 24, 2001, 11:33 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Where else would I learn the origin of the word posh...only on flyertalk!!!!
Old Jan 25, 2001, 1:21 am

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
Well, not to be too pedantic, but that appears less likely to be the true origin of the word:

Word History: “Oh yes, Mater, we had a posh time of it down there.” So in Punch for September 25, 1918, do we find the first recorded instance of that mysterious word posh, meaning “smart and fashionable,” although in a 1903 book by P.G. Wodehouse, Tales of St. Austin's, there is a mention of a waistcoat that was “push.” The latter may be a different word, but in either case the dates of occurrence are important because they are part of the objection to deriving posh from the initials of “Port Out, Starboard Home.” This was the cooler, and thus more expensive, side of ships traveling between England and India in the mid-19th century, and the acronym POSH was supposedly stamped on the tickets of first-class passengers traveling on that side of ships owned by the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. No evidence is definitely known to exist for this theory, however. The Oxford English Dictionary Supplement may have found a possible source or sources for posh. Another word posh was 19th- and early 20th-century British slang for “money,” specifically “a halfpenny, cash of small value.” This word is borrowed from the common Romany word påh, “half,” which was used in combinations such as påhera, “halfpenny.” Posh, also meaning “a dandy,” is recorded in two dictionaries of slang published in 1890 and 1902, although this particular posh may be still another word. This word or these words, however, are much more likely to be the source of posh than “Port Out, Starboard Home,” although the latter source certainly has caught the public's etymological fancy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.