Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to ask for BulkHead?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2001, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Where to ask for BulkHead?

My g/f who has no status on AA yet is travelling Bos-Lhr-Bos. She is recovering from a difficult (unexpected) operation and needs to fly very soon after it. She would like to get a bulkhead for obvious reasons. Currently, there seems to be no bulkhead availabilty for her flight. I know that a number of bulkhead seats are reserved/blocked, so what is the best place to request such seats? She has all medical certificates available to authenticate her request for more room (bulkhead) if that makes any difference.

However, if she doen't get the bulkhead then what are the best seats for her on this overnight flight? Does anyone know which seats don't recline at all? She is travelling in coach.

Thanking you in advance.
Old Jan 20, 2001, 12:33 pm

Can't you get an upgrade award certificate for her with miles?

drewman

Old Jan 20, 2001, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Drewman: I most certainly can but she's the kind of person to throw a tantrum over an unjustified upgrade. And I don't think there's a way to hide from her that I used my miles for her upgrade... AA people tend to be a bit talkative...
Old Jan 20, 2001, 2:17 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
According to my last flights, for the first leg I can get it at checkin at the airport but for later connections I need to ask at the departing airport (i.e. gate) but not necessary the departing gate, any gate seems not busy can (and done for me ) do it.

I heard two version: One said bulkhead seat do not release until check-in start in the airport, while another version is 24 hours before flight. They block bulkhead for passengers travelling with childern.

BTW: Have you try to talk with AA? If they block bulkhead for childern, I think with your GF's situration, they may be able to do something...IMHO.

Good Luck to your GF and wish she not only get the bulkhead but OP-UG!

Old Jan 20, 2001, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, UA PLT
If you are flying through an airport with a Plat Service Center, talk to them about this. Flash your card and then tell the whole story. If they can do it, they will. City Ticket Offices may be able to do the same--it just depends on the flight. I know as a Plat I could book the bulkhead if it was available on DFW-ZRH flights in coach just by calling (for me).
Old Jan 20, 2001, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'm not sure if you are requesting bulkhead seating for extra leg room but I'd check out the aircraft type first if you can (I think AA often uses an A300 for that route?). I flew a US 767 and noted that leg room is extremely tight on the emergency exit bulkhead window-aisle pair, but much better on the centre trio. Noticed a similar setup on a QF767-300 (though not as bad).
Old Jan 21, 2001, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Keep in mind that many seats with the best legroom, such as 26ABHJ on the A300s, are also exit rows. If her condition requires extra legroom it probably also disqualifies her from exit row seating. If this is not mentioned beforehand, they'll notice it at the gate or on the aircraft and will reseat her then. At that point her choice of seats will be much more limited than it would have been earlier.

You might want to call the PLT desk and ask for a supervisor.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
try to explain her situation with AA, and ask her to be seated closer to the gate to avoid too much movement down the aisle, ..and if possible bulkhead seat. sometimes some airlines give courtesy upgrade on injured or temporary handicapped.

i heard Emirate upgraded people with injured knee....not sure AA does the same, but worth a try

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-21-2001).]
Old Jan 22, 2001, 7:44 am

Programs: AA 3MM
First of all, I am 6' 3" with a 36" inside leg so have some considerable experience of asking for "extra leg room" seats....

These seats are indeed reserved, not just for families with small children, but also for GLD/PLT/EXP AAdvantage members, who actually take most of them.

If you are GLD/PLT/EXP, go to AA.COM, start making a dummy reservation on the flight and date in question, then you should be able to see the seating availability. On the java seat map, this will tell you if seats are "premium" (ie only available to elites) and/or have restricted recline (nb on the 777 there are several "leg room" seats like this.

Once you have worked out the best seats (and noting that you will NOT be able to get seats in an exit row for someone with a medical reason for needing the seat, then suggest you (as a PLT) call the Platinum service desk and make the request yourself....failing that you could always use your friendly travel agent, mine seems to manage to pull off these sorts of things!
Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally posted by TomCayman:
If you are GLD/PLT/EXP, go to AA.COM, start making a dummy reservation on the flight and date in question, then you should be able to see the seating availability. On the java seat map, this will tell you if seats are "premium" (ie only available to elites) and/or have restricted recline (nb on the 777 there are several "leg room" seats like this.
Actually, there is a "View Seat Maps" option under the "Travel Planning" menu. All you have to do is sign in with your AAdvantage number and PIN and then go to that page and enter the flight number, date and city pair to see the seat maps...without having to go through any of the steps to make a reservation. And I believe the "premium" designation is also shown on the non-Java maps in case you have any problems loading the Java seat maps (they never work for me on my iMac).
Old Jan 22, 2001, 9:06 am

You can request to speak with a Special Assistance Coordinator, they have the ability to seat passengers in blocked seats due to medical needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.