Citibank AAdvantage card without a SSN....

Old Jan 19, 2001, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MM
Citibank AAdvantage card without a SSN....

Like most of us, I spend a significant sum of money on credit cards every year, and would love to get a Citibank card to rack up the AAdvantage points....

Unfortunately, as a "non-resident alien" (as the IRS calls me!), I cannot get one as I do not have a SSN....so am stuck with a poor 2nd best, being AMEX Membership Rewards

Anybody managed to find a way around the system on this ?
Old Jan 19, 2001, 2:08 pm

My husband, technically a non-res alien as well, had a secured Citibank AAdvantage card, for which he put up $1,500 in a CD (which earned around 5%) and he got a $1,500 line of credit. Far from ideal, but he got the points.

Although here is the kicker: At the end of one year, they were to re-evaluate based on his credit history with them and determine whether to continue the card, CD, etc. Well, on the last day of the year, apparently some charges came in that pushed him over the limit. On the exact same day, a payment from him for $500 arrived. But since the payment hadn't been processed yet and since he was over the limit (why did they approve purchases that put him over???), they immediately cancelled his card, liquidated his CD, and left him with a credit balance of $500, which one month later he has yet to receive.

This isn't our first run-in with Citibank. You think the airlines are a pain to deal with! Citibank is the absolute pits!
Old Jan 19, 2001, 2:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Why not get one of the business cards? If it's the US based card, just make up a TIN (Taxpayer Id Number), or even better, get one of the AAdvantage cards issued offshore.
Old Jan 19, 2001, 2:28 pm

TomCayman - As a former "non-resident alien" myself, I can tell you that there ARE loopholes for you to get a card. Your best bet has already been mentioned - apply for a TIN from the IRS and provide that to Citibank when you are applying. As long as you can demonstrate enough assets, they are usually willing to play along. My first Citibank card was issued with a $1000 credit limit back in 1995, but the limit has been significantly raised since then!
Old Jan 19, 2001, 3:11 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
1. I think it is not about SSN but the residential status. Also the "Address" do matter.

Both my classmate and I are F-1 Student visa. I live in dorm (i.e. campus address) they refused me since "I do not establish a permant residency in the US" while my firend since he rent apartment, (i.e. "normal" address and phone), he success.

AE offer quite geneous for student card credit but when I apply the Sheraton card they only give me $1000 on that (much lower than my student card)... (Last month I am in a trip (Paris, London and LA in 3 weeks) and I need to phone 4 times to pay my bill, BAD BAD!!
Old Jan 19, 2001, 6:52 pm
KIR@GCM

Hi neighbor!

Citibank offers Aadvantage cards outside of the USA. Have you checked the UK web sites for both AA and Citibank?

Old Jan 20, 2001, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
The AAdvantage gold card in the UK will now be partnered with Citibank - it was formerly with Royal Bank of Scotland.

Don't bust a gut - you'll only get one mile per pound, i.e. around one third less than in the US. The enrolment bonus is 5,000 miles.

The website is www.citibank/com/uk/aadvantage which says 'information on our product will be available on our web site in the next week or two', as it has for a good month now!.

It doesn't mention whether the card is fee-free (like the UA Mileage Plus card) or chargeable.

Old Jan 20, 2001, 3:49 am

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
I am a Canadian resident working in the US under the TN VISA program. I currently hold a Citibank World Platinum. I don't have a SSN either. However, I do have a US address and had no problem getting the card.

However, I do remember, when first applying, I needed to supply "proof" that I could pay the card. Once I faxed them a copy of my corporate Amex statement, I got the Master Card a few days later. I have received three credit increases and currently has a line around $10,000
Old Jan 20, 2001, 10:59 pm

Paulo,
I agree with your view of Citibank as being extremely difficult to deal with. I am certain that they give all new hires an IQ test, then send those from scoring near the the bottom of the list into the credit card division. The second dumbest go into the branch offices.

I once needed a Branch Manager to sign something. I swear her lips were moving when she signed her name.

Those scoring near the top of the IQ chart go to Diners Club - almost never had a problem there.

Also, Technologically, Citibank is terrific. Their phone systems, ATMs, and web sites are easy to navigate. Good thing, because they hire so many idiots.

If I have offended anyone who works for Citibank - GOOD. Hire smarter help.

------------------
Fundi
Old Jan 21, 2001, 12:37 am

Tom,

If your problem is that you want AA miles but can't get them from your Amex card, you could try the Sheraton starpoints cards instead. you earn one starpoint per dollar charged, and they transfer 1-to-1 into AA miles (and as a bonus, if you transfer 20000 points at once, you'll get 25000 miles).

and the best part -- NO Annual Fee!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.