Wiki Posts
Search

Booze-Plane Count?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Home?

Originally Posted by dayone
Booze. Ethics. Entitlement. This thread hits the trifecta.

My thoughts might hasten the demise of this "sober" discussion so I'll "abstain." Sometimes, it's best to step aside and let FT take its course.
Curious if pax made it home.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Teresita
Curious if pax made it home.
I'm sure he was fine. He had a Designated Pilot, after all.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:38 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Say the average cost to AA is $2/bottle. $900/day, or well over $300K/year.

That seems like a very high average cost considering what they serve and the volume discount they must get...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I think the pilot was angry because you drank stole all his vodka. They may have even removed an eagle from your customer ranking.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by appleblossom
But subject to discipline? I'd say, yes, and that your purser friend may want to refresh her understanding of the licensing laws.
I followed up with <him> and told him about this discussion. He just laughed and told me that even his Flight Service Manager is aware of the widespread practice and said that they would never discipline a FA for giving extra minis.

I've got a shelf on my wetbar at home full of the extra minis and gifts of "one for the road", so it seems to be a pretty widespread violation (assuming it's actually a violation of AA policy).
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:56 pm

"...differ from taking other consumables, like, say, the steak you decided not to eat"

Lol. Now, I drink my booze on-plane, but I had no idea I've long been a criminal for slipping the sealed cookies or biscuits that accompany certain meals into my carry on.

If Donovan's only knew of the grand theft I've committed via doggie bag!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM/Lifetime Plat, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Booze-Plane Count?

To paraphrase Bill Murray in Stripes, I want to fly with you guys!

After years of following FT, I must be the only EXP that is not offered mini-bottles of liquor, very rarely receives a PBD, has very rarely been greeted by my name, has missed LHR-DFW upgrades since the UA match last year, and occasionally struggles to find overhead space.

Whatever star I'm under, obviously isn't the same one as the rest of the EXP on FT! ;-)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Say the average cost to AA is $2/bottle. $900/day, or well over $300K/year.

That seems like a very high average cost considering what they serve and the volume discount they must get...
+1
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Agreed. On another thread, I was told that the wholesale cost is around a buck. Catering and accounting would add to that.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by law53
After years of following FT, I must be the only EXP that is not offered mini-bottles of liquor, very rarely receives a PBD, has very rarely been greeted by my name, has missed LHR-DFW upgrades since the UA match last year, and occasionally struggles to find overhead space.

Whatever star I'm under, obviously isn't the same one as the rest of the EXP on FT!
It gets better.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I've got a shelf on my wetbar at home full of the extra minis and gifts of "one for the road", so it seems to be a pretty widespread violation (assuming it's actually a violation of AA policy).
It is, indeed, widespread, but that doesn't make it right or legal. How 'bout sending a photo of your shelf to AA management to see if they have an opinion?

OTOH, you don't get a ticket for speeding, you get a ticket for getting caught.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond

Whatever star I'm under, obviously isn't the same one as the rest of the EXP on FT! ;-)
You've got a seat mate under that star law53!
Not once have I ever been offered a mini "for the road"...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I followed up with <him> and told him about this discussion. He just laughed and told me that even his Flight Service Manager is aware of the widespread practice and said that they would never discipline a FA for giving extra minis.

Not much of a wet bar if you rely on minis. ;-)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
It is, indeed, widespread, but that doesn't make it right or legal. How 'bout sending a photo of your shelf to AA management to see if they have an opinion?
or...I could total all the money I've spent on AA for the last decade and ask them if they really care if one of their top tier customers has a few parting gifts... I'm guessing they'd be OK with the freebies as long as I spend way too much time on their planes.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
or...I could total all the money I've spent on AA for the last decade and ask them if they really care if one of their top tier customers has a few parting gifts... I'm guessing they'd be OK with the freebies as long as I spend way too much time on their planes.
I don't think that they would, and that's my point. The fact that you spend a lot of money doesn't give you the right to take from them. Back to my previous metaphor, at what level of spend do I get to take a roll of toilet paper from the lav since I get home late and forgot to get to the market before I left on my trip? And if I do hvae some Tupperware with me, do I get to take an extra meal home at a certain spend level? I just don't think that your argument holds up logically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.