Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booze-Plane Count?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I am really in the wrong line of work. I could make a fortune making and selling designer tin-foil hats.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Perche
Well, I'm just sitting here for my fifth hour, in Dallas. It just seemed that on the way out, the usual, 'thank you for flying American," was conspicuously absent.
Did you notice anything on the wing while you were flying?
My buddies William and John noticed this at separate times.
I think they were just a bit zoned out.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
You should have drank the vodka as it appears you were detoxing and seeing things that really weren't there.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I find it interesting, I haven't had a FA give me the mini's in a long time, in fact I was explained that they (the FA's) are not allowed to give the PAX the mini's just for this reason.. BTW, if you wanted a virgin BM, you could have asked for it, instead you asked for a BM and that it was served.. I'm betting your intention was to take the mini's in the first place. BTW, there is a reaon why taking medication daily is needed...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Is it wrong to take little liquor bottles from the plane?
Yes. The word "theft" comes to mind. AA is not in the business of giving away alcohol to pax, except to the extent that it is consumed on board. How does taking alcohol differ from taking other consumables, like, say, the steak you decided not to eat (you do carry Tupperware when you fly, right?) or hangers out of the closet or that extra roll of toilet paper in the lavatory?

Originally Posted by sts603
Last time I asked to purchase a couple Glenlivets for the road at the end of a JFK-SFO flight (while in J), the FA laughed at me and brought me four for free in a nice bag.
Originally Posted by hm500
This happened to me not too long ago, but I didn't ask for anything "to go" -- the FA just left me a sick bag filled with Canadian Club Reserve bottles at my seat.

Another time from MIA to JFK, they ran out of Glenlivet, so I asked what else they had. The FA brought me 1 of each type of whisky. I picked one, and he brought me that type of whisky in a glass, leaving me with a handful of whisky to consume while waiting for my luggage at JFK
The FAs who do this are subject to discipline for theft if caught. And needless to say, this type of FA generosity with someone else's property certainly contributes to higher operating costs, and thus fares. A few minis may not seem like a lot, but figure how many are given out by generous FAs on a daily basis across the route network. 1,500+ flights per day. Say an average of three minis are given out on 10% of the flights. That's 450 minis daily. Say the average cost to AA is $2/bottle. $900/day, or well over $300K/year.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 20, 2013 at 5:34 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Is it wrong to take little liquor bottles from the plane?

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes. The word "theft" comes to mind.
Well, it depends upon who you're accusing of theft. In the context you quoted, this is incorrect. Taking the item that was given by an employee of the company does not constitute theft by the person taking it off the plane. No, IANAL, but I'm quite sure about this. The implications for the employee? That, I don't know.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by mvoight
1. The booze is for drinking on the plane.
that may be your view, but it's not AA's policy. Pax are not required to return any unused booze to the FA.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes. The word "theft" comes to mind. AA is not in the business of giving away alcohol to pax, except to the extent that it is consumed on board. ...

The FAs who do this are subject to discipline for theft if caught.
AA is in the business of (hopefully) providing great customer service to premium pax. That includes not being stingy with the minis.

FAs subject to discipline for giving away extra minis ? Not according to a friend who is a AA purser.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
BTW, if you wanted a virgin BM, you could have asked for it, instead you asked for a BM and that it was served.. I'm betting your intention was to take the mini's in the first place. BTW, there is a reaon why taking medication daily is needed...
Nothing like a good BM post in the morning with my coffee ::giggle::
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brp
Well, it depends upon who you're accusing of theft. In the context you quoted, this is incorrect. Taking the item that was given by an employee of the company does not constitute theft by the person taking it off the plane. No, IANAL, but I'm quite sure about this. The implications for the employee? That, I don't know.

Cheers.
Following that logic string, I believe it makes the pax an accessory to the crime - receiving known stolen goods

I'd rather think of this question as dry humor rather than a serious question
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chipshot4me
Following that logic string, I believe it makes the pax an accessory to the crime - receiving known stolen goods

Oh, I agree with the second point.

But, as to the first, I think it would be quite easy to claim (and very believable) that the passenger didn't know the rules and was unaware of whether the FA was authorized to give the item. I think that this would mitigate any accessory charges.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by chipshot4me

Ah, but the goods wouldn't be stolen when received -- only when removed from the aircraft...by said passenger at that
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:12 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I had my usual disaronno on the rocks inflight last week.

When I refused a top-up, the wonderful friendly FA suggested "one-for-the-road" which I happily accepted. (It is still in my 100ml liquids baggie!)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

CAGE Questionnaire:

Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
that may be your view, but it's not AA's policy. Pax are not required to return any unused booze to the FA.

AA is in the business of (hopefully) providing great customer service to premium pax. That includes not being stingy with the minis.

FAs subject to discipline for giving away extra minis ? Not according to a friend who is a AA purser.
It was explained to me that AA's liquor license was for onboard consumption only .... so that a FA absolutely can be disciplined for giving away extra minis IF those minis are taken off the plane post-flight.

I imagine AA's liability dep't prioritizes lawful compliance over "great customer service," even if crews and passengers do not, in theory or in practice.

In reality, is it something they hammer down on? Maybe not.
Maybe only if they're already looking to discipline a FA.

But subject to discipline? I'd say, yes, and that your purser friend may want to refresh her understanding of the licensing laws.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Booze. Ethics. Entitlement. This thread hits the trifecta.

My thoughts might hasten the demise of this "sober" discussion so I'll "abstain." Sometimes, it's best to defer to the genius of FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.