Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade promotion?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2000, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Dallas, Texas, USA. AA Exec. Plat., Inter-Continental Six Continents Club "Executive", Hyatt Gold Passport "Diamond"
Upgrade promotion?

Greetings,

I was just looking over my AAdvantage on-line summary, and I noticed 6 separate entries for an "upgrade promotion". 5 of them granted me 2 electronic upgrade stickers, and 1 granted me 3 electronic upgrade stickers. While I'm not complaining, I'm left wondering, "where the heck did these come from?" All of these postings occurred on the 18th of November. My travel for the week before these were posted included DAL-LAX-SBA-LAX-SFO-DFW. Any thoughts?? Did anyone else notice this type of activity on their accounts?
Old Nov 20, 2000, 2:55 pm

Did you cross any mileage mileposts during this time?

drewman
Old Nov 20, 2000, 3:59 pm
Original Member

I thought I was the only one to whom this happened. (Hopefully they stay there). I had the same entries on the same day. I had 6 flights last week -- LGA-ORD-DTW-ORD-PHX-DFW-LGA -- the order of the entries matched my flights with this thought -- flights <500 miles =1 upgrade, 501-1000 = 2 upgrades and >1000 miles = 3 upgrades.

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth -- but I sure hope they stay -- gotta love 12 free upgrades.

--Jim
Old Nov 20, 2000, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Wonder if this promotion is being offered exclusively to Executive Platinum members? I will be curious to see if my account (Platinum) is credited with any "comp" upgrades (over and above the normal 4 for 10,000 miles flown) after my trip to NRT at the end of the month.
Old Nov 20, 2000, 5:53 pm
Original Member

From my angel at American:

This is a totally random promotion mailed to Exec Plats only -- some Exec Plats will get it, others wont. There is no code to register and they were unsure of the end date of the promotion. There was no indication of what the qualifications for the promotion was. It MAY (but not confirmed) be related to the United offer to their 1Ks.

The upgrades are earned based on miles flow -- 0-500 = 1 upgrade, 501-1000 = 2 upgrades and above 1001 = 3 upgrades. There may be more after that -- but my angel did not have that information.

If any Exec. Plat. on here receives the letter, could they please post any additional information about it (i.e. end date, if there are additional stickers to be earned above 3, etc...).

--Jim

[This message has been edited by JIMBOLIGUY (edited 11-20-2000).]
Old Nov 20, 2000, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Just wanted to let you know that I'm Plat on AA and flew MKE-DFW-FRA-ORD-MKE on 11/11 and 11/12. I haven't received any upgrades for those flights, but I don't think they have finish posting the trip yet. For some reason they posted my domestic legs but nothing for the international legs, no AA.com booking bonus yet, and no EUR00 bonus yet.
Looks like this may be just for EPs. Will let you know if anything changes.
Old Nov 20, 2000, 6:47 pm

Location: AA - Ex. Plat; SPG - Plat; Priority Club - Plat; HHonors - Diamond
My flight from ORD-DFW on 11/13 posted and I now have 2 promotion upgrades. Haven't seen postings on flights for 11/17 & 11/20 as of yet, but will be thrilled if I get 2 upgrades for each of those flights as well.

Wonder if they are on full-fare tickets or any ticket. I am EXP however so I think the EXP only thing is holding.

Jbird
Old Nov 20, 2000, 8:10 pm

Flying out on Wednesday to LHR ... I will let you know if I get extra.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Old Nov 20, 2000, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I got one promo upgrade too and I couldn't figure out where that came from. However I did a SFO-HNL sector and that was easily 2374 miles so unless it's given as points and not miles? Still like I said, I only received 1 upgrade credit.
Old Nov 21, 2000, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Location: Dallas, Texas, USA. AA Exec. Plat., Inter-Continental Six Continents Club "Executive", Hyatt Gold Passport "Diamond"
I called the Exec Platinum desk this morning to change some travel plans, and I asked the agent why I got these complimentary upgrades. She indicated what others have said here -- that "certain" EXPs were chosen for the promotion, but she couldn't explain what the qualifications are to be part of this offer. The upgrades are based on the number of miles flown per segment, hence why some of my comp'ed upgrades were "2" and others "3". Apparently these complimentary upgrades will continue for awhile, but for how long I am uncertain.

Mileage-wise, I requalified for EXP status back in August, and I'm currently at 175K, so I'm not about to cross any published threshhold. There's a very strong chance that I will hit 200K miles this year, as I'm heading to London this week for the Thanksgiving holiday, then off to Korea next week, and probably one more trip to either Brasil or Argentina before the end of December. I think I need my head examined

To the U.S. folks here, Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Old Nov 21, 2000, 2:29 pm

Location: AA - Ex. Plat; SPG - Plat; Priority Club - Plat; HHonors - Diamond
Can anyone confirm if this is only on full-fare tickets??

Also, how about a start date??

As I indicated on an earlier post, I had 2 hit my account but I have flights on the 13th and 17th that have posted each for 802 miles and am unsure as to which got the credits.

Thanks,
Jbird
Old Nov 21, 2000, 2:55 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
The lack of information makes me think that American is learning about the internet

They are (now) well aware of Flyertalk and how we love to share information. This "lack" of information, to me, looks like American is trying to contain these free-bes. Lack of info means we cannot try and get involved by 'manipulating' the requirements.

Just my two cents....
Old Nov 21, 2000, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally posted by DrHowser:
This "lack" of information, to me, looks like American is trying to contain these free-bes. Lack of info means we cannot try and get involved by 'manipulating' the requirements.
I agree with you. Remember earlier this summer? We were all marching around like zombies chanting "T T B N S, T T B N S ..."

FewMiles..

------------------
Unofficial guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
Old Nov 21, 2000, 4:15 pm

Yep, I've gotten the same -- 12 for a West Coast trip earlier this month. Didn't requal for EXP yet, so you've got me. Maybe EXP at full fare coach?
Old Nov 22, 2000, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Greetings,

My ticket wasn't full fare coach. I don't remember the exact fare basis, but it included a Saturday night stay and was purchased 14 days in advance, so it was an "el cheapo" ticket AA says that this program is targeted at EXP only, and only a subset. They also indicated that it had something to do with flying a certain number of miles in a certain time period. No more detail than that was gleaned, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.