Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA 762 and 772 Business Class Seats sold as Economy / Coach (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver

I am flying on a 767-200 American Airlines from JFK to MIA. I booked it in economy, using booking code: S. However, when I chose my seats, I was able to get 9D in Business Class. I am not an AA advantage member, so I am confused as to how I got business class. SeatGuru says this seat is Business class, so can someone else figure this out? Thank you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

See also the wiki page on this topic: Domestic Flights with Enhanced Seats

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Mar 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
American sells this three-class aircraft as two classes on this route. So you can often choose a seat in the business cabin on a coach ticket. Note that you will only receive coach service -- but the seat is nicer.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those business class seats with economy class service are supposed to be reserved for elite members. Not sure how you sneaked through. There's a chance you may be kicked out of those seats sometime between now and boarding, so keep an eye on the back of the plane -- if all the decent (true) coach seats start to disappear, you might want to play it safe and grab one lest you get stuck in a middle seat in the last row.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Some of the seats in row 7-11 are indeed sold to non-elites. I remember because I was able to reserve one before I had status years ago. Remember that this is sold as 2-class so you will receive coach service but the seat will be much more comfortable than the seats in the back.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Those business class seats with economy class service are supposed to be reserved for elite members. Not sure how you sneaked through.

Q-blocked (premium) seats in Coach are also available to anybody traveling on Y or B fares. It is possible that the segment was booked into the wrong booking class, or that the computer got confused about the OP's booking class and offered the Q-blocked seats.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume that the entire rows 7-11 would be Q-blocked, but I thing there's a programming error as only 11AB and 11GHJ (and not 11D) are blocked.

It's almost as if they're running the Q-block software for the 763 on the 2-class 762: a misconfiguration error.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
If you look at the seat map on Expertflyer a few J seats are Q blocked but many are available to the general public. I took this flight a few weeks ago and found it interesting that there were many open non Q-blocked seats in J. The average flyer is missing a great opportunity.

I say we call this phenomenon of ignorance the "I"Q seat block.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Red face

When I would work this JFK-MIA-JFK 762 flight, I would often get asked why an Elite did NOT receive any seats between 7 and 11. Well, because this particular flight is sold as 2-Class and those seats are generally sold as Y. Sure, there are a few seats that agents will give to ExP/PL/GLDs, but it is NOT guaranteed (from what I understand) that these seats are reserved solely for Elites.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I believe it used to be that way, where those seats were elite-only. However I just looked up a random date in march both while logged into aa.com and logged out. Both showed the same J-sold-as-Y seats available.

Interestingly enough, though, only elites may reserve J-sold-as-Y seats on the ORD-DFW 777.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JumboD
I believe it used to be that way, where those seats were elite-only. However I just looked up a random date in march both while logged into aa.com and logged out. Both showed the same J-sold-as-Y seats available.

Interestingly enough, though, only elites may reserve J-sold-as-Y seats on the ORD-DFW 777.
Are you sure these are limited to elites? Preferred seats are generally open to those booking full Y or using an Aanytime award (books as Y). Is this different when using the BC section for a flight sold as 2 class? I thought they were simply treated as "preferred" seats and open to anyone entitled to a preferred seat (not just elites)
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you sure these are limited to elites? Preferred seats are generally open to those booking full Y or using an Aanytime award (books as Y). Is this different when using the BC section for a flight sold as 2 class? I thought they were simply treated as "preferred" seats and open to anyone entitled to a preferred seat (not just elites)
I'm sure you're right. What I did was log out of aa.com, then go look at flight schedules for the two flights. the JFK-MIA showed plenty of available "J" seats, while the ORD-DFW flight showed none. I logged in, and the seat map was identical on JFK-MIA but entirely blocked out on ORD-DFW. I don't know under what circumstances they unblock, but I would imagine full Y/B, AAnytime award or AAirpass would qualify, in addition to elite level status.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
For some general info, see:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...Seats_%28AA%29

(Although the lists are probably out of date)
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Also, there are paxs that come to the airport with no seat assignment or standbys that need to be accomodated. The flights between JFK/MIA typically have a stand by list rolling onto a second page. And at times the only seats left are in the J section. Since its the same class of service, the agent has no choice but to put them into those seats.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Also, there are paxs that come to the airport with no seat assignment or standbys that need to be accomodated. The flights between JFK/MIA typically have a stand by list rolling onto a second page. And at times the only seats left are in the J section. Since its the same class of service, the agent has no choice but to put them into those seats.
I also thought that at the airport anyone could request the seat if available (seeing as AA has no formal policy like UA and the way they sell E+). In my pre-elite days I used to go to the airport early and request an exit row, which usually was available due to an upgrading elite member.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JumboD
I also thought that at the airport anyone could request the seat if available (seeing as AA has no formal policy like UA and the way they sell E+). In my pre-elite days I used to go to the airport early and request an exit row, which usually was available due to an upgrading elite member.
You probably could, however, most infrequent flyers at AA don't know that the J section is sold as Y (most of them likely no nothing about the difference between a 2 and 3 class a/c). On that flight a few years ago, a gentleman sat down next to me and asked if he was in the right cabin. I explained that this section is sold as a coach seat, including the duvet and big pillow, and he was totally blown away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.