Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Should I stick with the "new American" or move to XYZ airline? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I stick with the "new American" or move to XYZ airline? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
We'll find out what happens over the next few months. For my part, I (literally) just signed up for the Barclaycards US Airways Mastercard 50,000 mile card offer. 40,000 points after first use? Sure, I'll spend $20 somewhere, collect the points, and wait for them to be shifted over to AA when the programmes are finally merged. And in the meantime, I've $12,000 of extra credit I didn't have before and that I won't be using, so my credit score will go up as well.

So far, what's not to like? You know, so far at least.
On US Airways home page, I'm seeing a cc offer for 40,000 miles (30,000 after first use + 10,000 for balance transfers within 90 days of account opening). Is that the one, or is there another place for the 50,000 miles offer?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by miamigrad
On US Airways home page, I'm seeing a cc offer for 40,000 miles (30,000 after first use + 10,000 for balance transfers within 90 days of account opening). Is that the one, or is there another place for the 50,000 miles offer?
Although that is the one, a couple of people on TABB have reported that the offer was withdrawn. I applied a week ago, and have the card. For our purposes it seems likely to be 40,000 miles because the extra ten probably will not happen before the merger goes through and the card becomes moot.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
A few of the affiliate links(MMS,Gary) still seem to work for 40,000 miles at 3:15EST. They don't have the 10,000 annual bonus however.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by aktchi
This is stated in just about every communication I have seen including emails from AA as well as US. It is also an expected step: Meshing two large and different structures takes time and, in order to conduct business during transition, each has to operate "business as usual" for a while.
It's a joke. Those verbatim words were in literally every single response to the FAQs posted above. Sorry my snark didn't translate well electronically.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by nall
They're safe.
That terminology brings back bad memories. When DL took over NW the recording on the phone said ''dont worry, your miles are safe'' which turned out, as expected to be absolute horsehockey. Yes your account showed the same number of miles, but valuable Worldperks miles were milejacked into inflated SkyPesos. It was like merging US dollars with Zimbabwe dollars.

Every recent merger of major airlines has brought a merger of ff programs that downgraded the previous programs of both predecessor airlines. With DWI Parker in charge, one can bet that will happen this time, too.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
It was well said in the main merger thread... they'll construct a program with elements of both that will be equal to the other Final 4 carriers (DL, US, AS) but a tiny bit better on 1 or two items - so they can say "best in the world". And they'll add in a few low/no cost unique twists for market purposes.

The bigger route map gives them one of them - "More places to travel to when you redeem your AAdvantage Kilometers"
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
There's a "special offer for Chairman preferred" link somewhere that gives 60,000 miles I believe. I think this works for anyone but no guarantees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.