Search

Comparing value of Avios and AAdvantage Miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Comparing value of Avios and AAdvantage Miles

Hi,

So I'm wondering about other people's comparative values. I'm looking at an award ticket and the relative costs are either:

17.5K AAdvantage
10K Avios

The tax costs otherwise are the same; I see this as pretty much a wash, but wondering about other people's thoughts on it?

Note, I'm looking at this specific comparison.

Thanks.

Last edited by jabrams72; Nov 28, 2013 at 6:29 am
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Depends on how hard the points are to get, and to spend...I save my AA miles for International travel.

Avois are for Midwest hops...in my case"

To each his own
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Avios are terrible value for intercontinental travel.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator with 1 */Hilton Diamond for Life / Starwood Gold for Life /Marriott Platinum
The only way that Avios are good value is if you take advantage of the BA/AMEX affiliate card that gives you a 2 for 1 voucher once a year. Save 100k, and take your partner to (in my case Barbados in Club World) OK, the tax is punitive, just over £1,000 for the two of us, but it means you get to travel Club World for the same price as a basic economy ticket. BA/AMEX gives the 2 for 1 each year after you have spent I think £10,000 on the card. If you travel regularly on business, then this is easy. I rarely travel BA on paid flights, and always manage to accumulate 100k Avios by using this card as much as possible.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
I have been looking at American Airlines availability next year between California and UK. Not good and unlike BA whereby you pay a set rate in Club depending on the route AA will offer a Business Seat at eg 50,000 and 100,000 for the same route. The website appears to be days out of date as when I looked a few days back, a search I entered came back with a message saying the seats were no longer available. Fair enough but the same seats showed availability again today and when I went further on the site it came up with the same message as three days back. I don't know whether this is a glitch with the AA advantage site or whether it is common practice with AA. I don't know whether it is better to ring BA up and try to book the seats but there would be cost implications I presume.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
In my opinion, I use BA solely for domestic US travel and AA for international travel. In order to add alot of AA miles, I use AMEX MR's, which goes 3x points for airfare, and then almost always bonus miles into BA.

Sure you wont find Avios availability on peak flights on peak days, but I've NEVER had an issue working around it. And I sure love those 9k mile roundtrip rewards...LOL.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Avios are also (unsurprisingly) a decent value for intra-European travel. In addition, Avios redemptions aren't so bad for itineraries that terminate in Hong Kong--there are fuel surcharges but they aren't so bad compared to BA longhaul flights.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by UKdiver
Avios are terrible value for intercontinental travel.
Except for intercontinental travel on AB, EI, and LA.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Avios are also excellent for short haul international travel in North America. We are based in SAN, have used Avios several times to book SAN-SJD on AS; should be the same for short hops on AA from JFK, ORD to Canada; DFW, MIA to the Caribbean.

We also use Avios to fly SAN-OGG on AS - 25k Avios versus 35k miles.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Avios has liberal booking and cancellation policies. No crazy late booking or redeposit fees; only need to surrender the $2.50 per segment taxes paid.

Also, Avios is great for mixed class itineraries, example ATL-MIA in T MIA-SXM in U, when desired class is not available all the way through.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Avios has liberal booking and cancellation policies. No crazy late booking or redeposit fees; only need to surrender the $2.50 per segment taxes paid.

Also, Avios is great for mixed class itineraries, example ATL-MIA in T MIA-SXM in U, when desired class is not available all the way through.
I pay cancelation fees when I redeposit BA awards, you don't /
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Avios have amazing value if used for certain types of itineraries - specifically, short to medium haul J and F redemptions. For example, I just booked HKG-NRT in J on CX at a redemption value of 17.5 cpm. Earlier this year, I booked TXL-LHR within 24 hours of departure at a similarly amazing redemption rate.

The value is reflected in OP's question - on this particular itinerary, each Avios is worth 57% more than each AAdvantage point.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:42 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by bruins014
BA Golds are exempt.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO

Since BAEC does not make any additional collection when an award is cancelled, cancellation fees will never exceed the amount of cash paid when the award was issued. U.S. domestic awards on AA typically have a cash payment of only $2.50/segment, so if you cancel such an award, it only costs you $2.50/segment to reinstate your miles.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 29, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's only $40 to cancel and redeposit. In the world of airline fees, that is extremely reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.