FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1438326-aa-us-merger-agreement-announcement-doj-action-discussion-consolidated.html)

Xero Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I am just waiting and seeing. Depending on the situation I'll decide whether to stick with the "new AA" or move to UA.

FWAAA Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by jsmeeker (Post 20242618)
:(

Probably had my last meal ever on a plane Sunday night.

I disagree. I don't think that Parker is so stupid as to LCCify the high-revenue AA that he worked so hard to takeover.

Ritz Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by grahampros (Post 20242586)
That was gonna happen merger or no. So folks just have to get use to it's the new model going forward. That's not even related to the merger. The days of easy miles and lots of free upgrades for little spend are coming to an end

Really? AA seemed to reinforce its traditional reward structure by eliminating the backdoor MM requirements/qualifications 2 years ago. Since then, everything had been status quo.

TrojanHorse Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm

I think I'm going to Barf now

excuse me while I get up from the table

xliioper Feb 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Northwestern? Nice job aviation reporter :) Oh jeez, he also muffed with "US Air".

drewbles Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan (Post 20241103)
Star is only weak in South America (specifically, deep South America). But at least they have some presence via Avianca-Taca. Oneworld ? Zero carriers in the whole continent of Africa (marginally if you count Comair).

US wasn't any crown jewel within Star to begin with, so losing it wasn't a really big deal. And bringing in Sri Lankan isn't going to help much either (that's assuming the hub airport is safe from the separatist militants).

Star is 100% weak in Australia. No domestic coverage at all. There's UA and NZ flying to MEL/SYD, but that's it. There's a reason *A has been courting VA (without much success, obvious why).

jsmeeker Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 20242641)
I disagree. I don't think that Parker is so stupid as to LCCify the high-revenue AA that he worked so hard to takeover.

I think that's exactly what he wants. To build a massive LCC. Drive to the bottom. Take it over and make it exactly like Cactus.

GRALISTAIR Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I think it is a good thing. Longer term - one of those hubs will be downsized. New York and PHL are fairly close ----

travelsg Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 20242636)
I am just waiting and seeing. Depending on the situation I'll decide whether to stick with the "new AA" or move to UA.

that... is really a hard choice..:D

FWAAA Feb 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jsmeeker (Post 20242657)
I think that's exactly what he wants. To build a massive LCC. Drive to the bottom. Take it over and make it exactly like Cactus.

Yikes. I really (and I mean really) hope you're incorrect. :(

jsmeeker Feb 13, 2013 6:18 pm

:(

Good bye, AA. We hardly knew ye. And will never know what you could have become anew.

nall Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm

The facts thread doesn't list DCA and LAX as hubs of the new airline. Do you know something we don't? :)

Xero Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm

I noticed that LAX is absent from the list of hubs for the combined carrier.

Xero Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by travelsg (Post 20242666)
that... is really a hard choice..:D

Today the choice is easy, AA all the way! But tomorrow, who knows.

TrojanHorse Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Enjoy AA this year

See what you can find better next year (maybe this is the best *barf* option left) and bail (if applicable in 2015)

at least that's my plan