Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by bubba198
Instead of a bus, they should have shown a Southwest 737, open with AE and US CJ200's, rather than modern widebodies with the new livery, and the dark, dingy US LAX terminal...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
Say it ain't so. If this great airline fails given the work by Horton to restructure AA, I will blame AA's unions, and only AA's unions.

American, US Airways unions still have lots to settle

Posted Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02...#storylink=cpy

The day American Airlines and US Airways announced their merger proposal, their union leaders smiled and shook hands with airline executives and one another.

Some union presidents, including those who represent American's pilots, flight attendants and ground workers, had advocated for a merger of the carriers for months, even signing conditional labor agreements with US Airways executives in April.

Others, such as US Airways' pilots and flight attendant leaders, got involved in the discussions later but willingly signed memorandums of understanding to help ease the integration.

But despite the hugs and good will exchanged when the merger was announced Feb. 13, challenges lie ahead for the unions. Seniority integration lists need to be crafted. Workers must decide which union they want to represent them in contract talks with the merged carrier.

"We're not going to see how amicable this merger is for a few more years, when the difficult questions come," said Gary Chaison, professor of labor relations at Clark University in Massachusetts.

And if the unions, along with airline management, can't solve these issues in a timely fashion, that could limit the financial benefits touted by AMR CEO Tom Horton and US Airways CEO Doug Parker.

"Union issues have to be put away if American is going to be successful going into the future," airline industry consultant Darryl Jenkins said.

AMR has 54,700 unionized workers. US Airways has 30,260.
This may be why Horton is hanging around - he can continue to be the bad cop, responsible for finalizing labor agreements, allow Dougie to continue at least the appearance of playing Santa Claus, rally the troops.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
So nwa.com wasn't better than DL.dumb?
I'm a former Northwest Gold Elite and I always hated the Northwest website so I'm glad to see it gone.

Originally Posted by Carolinian
. . . and SkyPesos are actually worth anything???????
They were worth a last minute trip to the World Series in 2010 and a 2011 trip to Prague, Vienna and Paris in Business for 100,000 miles (low rate)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm a former Northwest Gold Elite and I always hated the Northwest website so I'm glad to see it gone.

They were worth a last minute trip to the World Series in 2010 and a 2011 trip to Prague, Vienna and Paris in Business for 100,000 miles (low rate)
The way I remember it:
No last minute price changes
Better award calendar
Easier to use interface
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Is that what he has done? I hope it will take less time to integrate AA-US than it has taken to attempt unifying East-West (actually US-HP) pilots, employees, etc. because in my opinion seven years is a tad longish. (At least for the first three years after the merger is approved, AA pilots will fly AA aircraft, and US pilots will fly US aircraft, but AFAIK that has left out a lot of other cabin and ground crew, and what happens after the three years are up?) (I will respectfully disagree with LAXJFKesq and say it's not likely to just be an AA union issue - the East-West union issues remain to be solved as well.)

My problem with these kinds of things are that a failure to successfully merge employees into a collaborative culture can result in anything from service failures affecting passengers to serious errors in the cockpit.

I'm certainly willing to wait and see what develops, but I think it's early to imagine how it will all go; I will wait and see.

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
Mr Parker has sucessfully acquired two larger airlines. I bet he will manage this issue effectively as well.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10

Scoring TATL means little without the season attached. If it was low season, that is not much of a score. I could always use Worldperks miles during high season with a lot of choices. When some of them that I could not use in time (I was NW gold myself) got milejacked into SkyPesos, finding TATL uses for them became extremely difficult and I had to settle for using them in shoulder or low season. SkyPesos suck big time.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
My problem with these kinds of things are that a failure to successfully merge employees into a collaborative culture can result in anything from service failures affecting passengers to serious errors in the cockpit.
I'm socially friendly with a number of AA FAs (odd, I know, given that I make no secret of my feelings about APFA), and to this day, many/most still view the TW FAs as a distinct group of outsiders. And in what year did AA acquire TW assets?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA Plat 2 MM, Marriott Ambassador & LTP, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Sooo - I have an upcoming flight from NY to RSW. AA has no good options, and I would normally fly JB to get some RDMs (even though I have to hike out to JFK). Now I am wondering if I should give USAir a try. I normally hate flying with no status (not counting JB - they are decently nice to their coach passengers). Thoughts? Obviously no benefits being AA Elite, but putting a few miles into my USAir account should result in eventually coming over to AA right?
-Shaown
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by shaown
Sooo - I have an upcoming flight from NY to RSW. AA has no good options, and I would normally fly JB to get some RDMs (even though I have to hike out to JFK). Now I am wondering if I should give USAir a try. I normally hate flying with no status (not counting JB - they are decently nice to their coach passengers). Thoughts? Obviously no benefits being AA Elite, but putting a few miles into my USAir account should result in eventually coming over to AA right?
-Shaown
I just got back from there. I was in Marco Island. I flew to Miami and rented a car and drove to Marco Island going down. Coming back flew RSW-ORD-LGA. Depends a bit on where in that vicinity you are going how viable the MIA tactic is.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by shaown
-Shaown
Likely those USAir miles will not count towards status this year as its doubtful the programs will be merged before 2014. Id fly B6 as yes it is the best Y experience around. IIRC more legroom seats on that route are $40 OW.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 3MMiler
I have a quick rant about this exact thing. Have to book travel and always when I had the unfortunate option to use US I had the miles go to United. Well had to book on US and called them to see if they are doing a status match at least in the interim they said NO!!! Would think they would be all over this since I got a status match from Delta just recently and the offer indicated as a "valued AAdvantage member (ExPlat) we would like you to try (Plat Med)" so Doug better get going or UA and DL are going to start trying to pick us off.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
AA needs to start flying to Doha or India! I know mumbai and delhi have a lot of competition but the tier 2 cities are there to be taken! Middle East carriers are making a killing because of lack of completion! And if they decide not to fly to india, at least fly to Doha to take advantage of Qatar flights. Any indication of that happening?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by joejoe666
AA needs to start flying to Doha or India! I know mumbai and delhi have a lot of competition but the tier 2 cities are there to be taken! Middle East carriers are making a killing because of lack of completion! And if they decide not to fly to india, at least fly to Doha to take advantage of Qatar flights. Any indication of that happening?
Middle East carriers are making a killing because they have hubs that are well-positioned to carry traffic to and from India, and have some other advantages on labor and taxes as well.

India is ultra-long haul from the USA. The economics of ULH are bad enough, now add in that you're flying a jet 8000+ miles to a second-tier city... and the only people making a killing is whoever's selling fuel to AA.

I wouldn't hold my breath. DOH is possible, I guess, but QR already serves JFK and ORD. Not really sure MIA/DFW-DOH make sense.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by joejoe666
Ah -- I thought I had seen your exact post once already today!

As I mentioned in the other thread, AA just pulled out of DEL (likely due to fuel costs), and DOH probably isn't such a big priority with the existing relationship with EY in AUH.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated)

Yea I figured I should post in AA forum instead of us. Thanks for the input. Your points make sense I guess. I'm just being selfish and hoping for more options from PHL. I hate having to go EWR or JFK for any long haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.