Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
So how does AA win that US flyer over when they can't promise a stellar upgrade rate, be it comped or paid? Even over at UA I haven't seen reports of midtier flyers clearing in the 90% range. A lot of them are purchasing paid upgrades prior to departure, which is something new over there, jumping over higher tier elites on the list for a variable upgrade fee.
UA is clearly significantly worse for upgrades than US because of the seemingly random upgrade charges where many people buy their way into F. However, DL is actually pretty good in terms of upgrade percentages for mid-tiers. Several of my employees are DL elites and they report upgrade percentages that are decent, but worse than US. I just had a platinum in my office while I was reading this and he told me he runs about 75%. He says that the routes he misses are Monday morning and Fridays. Conventional wisdom on my staff is that if you have to make lots of last-minute changes, you are better off with DL and if you generally have your schedule set you are better with US. In a straw poll of people I've been in meetings with or who have been in my office this week, it seems that upgrade percentage is a much bigger concern than award redemption to the majority.

I run about 90% on upgrades as a US plat, but I rarely make last-minute changes. IIRC, the only upgrades I missed last year were when I used the move-up to change to earlier flights. I even clear some of those, depending on the route. I do sometimes choose schedules for leisure travel on transcons to optimize my upgrade chances or cash in miles on routes I think might be a tough upgrade, otherwise I might miss more.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; Other Stuff
Less competition usually isn't good for consumers
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Glad to see AA has the bolded piece under control.
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Unadvertised imminent EXP perk?

PS - Okay, sorry for the non-gender-neutral comment. Edit as you see fit
Hell, it isn't like it happened when Horton was in charge. I consider it an omen, it disagrees with how I read the pattern of chicken bones I dropped in the sand, so we will have to see how it plays out.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
[QUOTE=AAExPlat;20289088]Astounding that there are EXPs who think $300 transcons are expensive, use fuel dumps liberally, and consider playing with their home address to get better promo coverage, and think $6k for EXP is too much.

And people here wonder why airlines are considering revenue floors as part of status requirements....[/QUOTE

What's a fuel dump?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
[QUOTE=bubba198;20291446]
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Astounding that there are EXPs who think $300 transcons are expensive, use fuel dumps liberally, and consider playing with their home address to get better promo coverage, and think $6k for EXP is too much.

And people here wonder why airlines are considering revenue floors as part of status requirements....[/QUOTE

What's a fuel dump?
A way to remove carrier fuel surcharges from ticket pricing.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubba198
What's a fuel dump?
It's a complex method of ticket purchase where you can avoid the YQ/YR fuel surcharges, as some airlines mistakenly fail to add them to fares. I think there's a lot of info on these techniques in the mileage run forum.

I'm amazed that airlines haven't figured out a way to confirm that all surcharges have been paid and to deny boarding when they've not been paid.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Astounding that there are EXPs who think $300 transcons are expensive, use fuel dumps liberally, and consider playing with their home address to get better promo coverage, and think $6k for EXP is too much.

And people here wonder why airlines are considering revenue floors as part of status requirements....
^^ I was blown away to learn via this thread that there are people who can achieve EXP for $3-4k - especially knowing my upgrade %. I would easily spend that in a MONTH since my flights tend to be transcons booked with days advance notice. Unfortunately, transcons booked with days advance notice (especially between JFK/LAX and PHL/Anywhere) tend to not be too high up on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyjackjack
Less competition usually isn't good for consumers
, , , and that is why it is outrageous that USDOJ has been approving these airline mergers,

Heck, I would even welcome RyanAir to the US market just to give the oligopoly some competition.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

And people here wonder why airlines are considering revenue floors as part of status requirements....
Well, my hope is that there are not so many of these bottom-feeders* that AA really sees them as a problem that needs to be addressed.

Cheers.

*I use this term liberally to apply to myself as well. Of course, there are even lower levels, it seems
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Couple of things:
- I do hope that US's policy of filling the F cabin far in advance doesn't end up as the standing policy. When I was a US flyer and wanted to buy F last minute, often flights were 'full' and couldn't be purchased. This obviously has an effect on being able to standby or deal with Irrops.
- I flew a UA redeye the other day SFO-BOS (I have been at least pondering a change back to UA from AA). Suffice it to say that it was not a flight that would compel a change: 1. No pillows for a redeye 2. WAY too many announcements (none of which was a reminder to shut the shades) and other noise 3. Lots of announcements about not putting jackets in the overhead and zero done about it. While not the airlines fault, it really felt like a rookie crowd in F that evening.

Not related to my general distaste for the flight was the hammered guy who swore at me for taking the overhead above his seat (I was in F, he in the first row of Y). He actually threw a little shoulder into me on his way by, which to me was way more comedy than threat. The icing on the cake was that after some disagreement with fellow passengers about overhead space he was asked to leave the plane. Good times.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:24 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Consultette
^^ I was blown away to learn via this thread that there are people who can achieve EXP for $3-4k
So, what happens to you when you consider those of us who do it for around $2k or so?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Well, my hope is that there are not so many of these bottom-feeders* that AA really sees them as a problem that needs to be addressed.

Cheers.

*I use this term liberally to apply to myself as well. Of course, there are even lower levels, it seems
Originally Posted by Hoc
So, what happens to you when you consider those of us who do it for around $2k or so?
Mr Parker has sucessfully acquired two larger airlines. I bet he will manage this issue effectively as well.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Hoc
I am in awe and wish I was able to plan that far in advance. How is that even possible? No, really, how?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Consultette
I am in awe and wish I was able to plan that far in advance. How is that even possible? No, really, how?
Wait for AA's IT to fail and book 13 of these http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...stt-150ai.html.

Those extremely low rev EXPs are bottom feeding scum, not like those of us who spend $4-$6k a year.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Wait for AA's IT to fail and book 13 of these http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...stt-150ai.html.

Those extremely low rev EXPs are bottom feeding scum, not like those of us who spend $4-$6k a year.
No, you're middle feeding scum

But, even if that MR is worth 4,000 miles (I didn't add it up), then one needs to do runs like that 25 times and at $150/ea that's still $6k. OK, say there's a DEQM and one does 12-13 of those in the say eight weeks DEQM period, that's still over $3k spend. So, again, how is $2k really possible (unless the answer is a MR and/or FD of greater mileage all done during a DEQM month or two)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.