Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Just a few points for those who are sad about losing their place in *A for an entrance to 1W follow below.

1. *A has a great network in theory, but trying to redeem J or F on SQ isn't child's play. Air New Zealand is a fine airline, and the food on ANA is excellent, and the coverage for Europe from the LH group is outstanding, but the UA/CO mess isn't solved by a longshot, and the repercussions not yet fully understood. Plus, SAS!

2. 1W has fewer airline partners, but the quality of said partners is rather more consistent. CX service on the ground and in the air is excellent, and BA, Finnair, JL, LAN, IB, and Qantas all have generally positive outcomes (with some exceptions that prove the rule that we expect them to do well by their passengers). 50% of the 1W airlines are 5-star airlines per SkyTraxx, if that has any value to you, far superior to the other alliances. I also have good expectations for Malaysia and Air Berlin for the future. In addition, you have a slightly better set of Alaska Airlines and WestJet perks than before.

3. Just think - at least you aren't going to deal with SkyTeam, the grab bag of the air leftovers! Alitalia! Areoflot! The rump of Northworst! China Eastern! Garuda! Hooray!
Agree that it is good that US is not going to ST, however for whY flyers like me J and F on SQ is not relevant. The UA/CO might be a mess now but like with all mergers it will shape up with time. Plus we have to see if the US/AA merger goes smooth.

For those like me who look for decent service the quality of 1W is not as important as the quantity of Star. With BA charging YQ it is a huge loss in terms of partners and IMO you cannot really beat LH in terms of award availability.

Last edited by UA Fan; Feb 15, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Just a few points for those who are sad about losing their place in *A for an entrance to 1W follow below.

1. *A has a great network in theory, but trying to redeem J or F on SQ isn't child's play. Air New Zealand is a fine airline, and the food on ANA is excellent, and the coverage for Europe from the LH group is outstanding, but the UA/CO mess isn't solved by a longshot, and the repercussions not yet fully understood. Plus, SAS!

2. 1W has fewer airline partners, but the quality of said partners is rather more consistent. CX service on the ground and in the air is excellent, and BA, Finnair, JL, LAN, IB, and Qantas all have generally positive outcomes (with some exceptions that prove the rule that we expect them to do well by their passengers). 50% of the 1W airlines are 5-star airlines per SkyTraxx, if that has any value to you, far superior to the other alliances. I also have good expectations for Malaysia and Air Berlin for the future. In addition, you have a slightly better set of Alaska Airlines and WestJet perks than before.

3. Just think - at least you aren't going to deal with SkyTeam, the grab bag of the air leftovers! Alitalia! Areoflot! The rump of Northworst! China Eastern! Garuda! Hooray!
But from what I understand, it can be a challenge to actually get a 1W award on some of these carriers and routes. QF F might be lovely but if availability isn't there because you were busy at the 330-day mark, then its loveliness doesn't much matter. I'll admit I've not found all the legal 1W routings from, say, the US-SYD but I can name 4 on Star without even trying: NZ via AKL (from lax or sometimes YVR); from YVR on AC; via ICN on OZ; and if all else fails, from SFO on UA. I can probably find more if I try. So if there's only one or two of those 5-star carriers who can get you from A to B, you might prefer the alliance that has 4 or more ways. Again SYD is just an example off the top of my head and I know V Australia needs to be accounted for, but there's no doubt that, in certain regions, Star just has more options. And I will take a 4-4.5 star airline that I'll actually give me a premium award space over a 5-star airline whose awards are all taken before I can even book them. Your F cabin can be as nice as it wants and it won't matter to me if I can't sit there.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Interesting how the entire northwest region is almost entirely untouched. Hardly anything north of LAX. As an SFO based flyer, this merger creates an airline that is as irrelevant as AA or US were alone. Would be great for them to invest in SFO and start aggressively taking share from UA in this market.
While true, AA alone is the second largest airline at SFO, and adding US will widen the gap AA has over VX and WN.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by MAH4546
While true, AA alone is the second largest airline at SFO, and adding US will widen the gap AA has over VX and WN.
Interesting to see that, since VX is much flashier at T2 about their presence and, more notably, serves more destinations (including all of the ones AA serves if you count FLL and MIA as being pretty much the same general area, though of course without the frequencies that AA has to the destinations it serves).
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Interesting to see that, since VX is much flashier at T2 about their presence and, more notably, serves more destinations (including all of the ones AA serves if you count FLL and MIA as being pretty much the same general area, though of course without the frequencies that AA has to the destinations it serves).
It raises an interesting question. Presumably AA will want to consolidate in T2, but will there be enough room? Right now AA really only use about five gates and VX have the rest, which is fine when they're only flying ORD, DFW, MIA, and JFK. But now they would be adding PHX, PHL, CLT, and DCA in that same space. I don't know if that's feasible.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:16 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I was in c and d at dfw and if you didn't know there had been a merger announcement you'd be clueless.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abk
I was in c and d at dfw and if you didn't know there had been a merger announcement you'd be clueless.
do you think it's different at some random terminal or gate at PHX?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why not keep the American call-sign and not use Cactus. That goes back to America-West. I can't beleive they will use the airline code HP instead off AA.
Originally Posted by colmc
Umm..they're not going to use HP. It will remain AA. Unless I missed something major
Originally Posted by Himeno
When HP and US were merged to the one AOC, they kept the US IATA code (US) and the HP ICAO code (AWE) and callsign (Cactus).

AA/US, AAL/AWE, American/Cactus. Who knows at this stage which one of each they'll use. They are keeping the American name/brand, so they will likely use the AA IATA code. As for the ICAO code and callsign...

If they keep saying "CACTUS" over the ATC freqs, it might push me over to UA.

What about the certificate? They gonna use American's or will they keep using America Wests?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: 0.4MM
Originally Posted by taliesin
It raises an interesting question. Presumably AA will want to consolidate in T2, but will there be enough room? Right now AA really only use about five gates and VX have the rest, which is fine when they're only flying ORD, DFW, MIA, and JFK. But now they would be adding PHX, PHL, CLT, and DCA in that same space. I don't know if that's feasible.
The original plan was to move AA to T2 to free up space in T3 for the CO flights, and aggregate the *A flights/lounges at the G end of the intl terminal; then once T1 got renovated, AA would move there, and all the 1W flights/lounges would be aggregated at the A end of the intl terminal; then all the non-intl flights in the intl terminal (which were only there because there wasn't enough domestic space before T2 reopened) would move to 2. I don't think this changes that plan.

Edit: apparently they're renovating T3 first?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:41 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
do you think it's different at some random terminal or gate at PHX?
Don't know, wasn't there,but my guess would be yes.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by abk
Don't know, wasn't there,but my guess would be yes.
Even pre-merger announcement, you might not notice that AA had a new logo. I was at DFW last Thursday and apart from checkin kiosks, you would have never known.

It would be interesting to see reports from US hubs. Are there AA signs going up? I can't imagine there would be quite yet.

Out of curiosity, what did you expect to see at DFW? US signs and logos?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Torgen
The original plan was to move AA to T2 to free up space in T3 for the CO flights, and aggregate the *A flights/lounges at the G end of the intl terminal; then once T1 got renovated, AA would move there, and all the 1W flights/lounges would be aggregated at the A end of the intl terminal; then all the non-intl flights in the intl terminal (which were only there because there wasn't enough domestic space before T2 reopened) would move to 2. I don't think this changes that plan.

Edit: apparently they're renovating T3 first?
It might stop US from moving over to T3, since it won't matter to have it with its *A partners relatively soon, but that is probably about it.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:51 pm

IST?

Thought I'd try and get some input here (I am US but I guess we are all together now!), I fly PHL-IST, normally through FRA or MUC on LH or TK. Now, with OW it looks like I can only take BA through LHR. I looked on BA's site, looks like a charge for reserved seats (is this NK or what?). My quetion is, how is the service/connection (I've never been to LHR), etc. from some of you seasoned AA folks for service from PHL-IST? I appreciate any feedback, with this merger my biggest complaint (and to this day Doug never called for my opinion) is the move to OW from *A, thanks....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:51 pm
abk

[QUOTE=jsmeeker;20256985

Out of curiosity, what did you expect to see at DFW? US signs and logos?[/QUOTE]

I don't really know other than something that would let you know there was change in the air. As an aside I think the USair logo would look better on the tail of the new AA planes than what they have.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by abk
I don't really know other than something that would let you know there was change in the air. As an aside I think the USair logo would look better on the tail of the new AA planes than what they have.
I think that would be good. However the color must change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.