Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Old Nov 30, 13, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AA777 View Post
If you sit in Y, and just want a plane to get you from point A to B I'm sure you will love Parker. If you are looking for a quality premium experience and spend most of your money on long haul flights I'm sure you have no idea just how bad things may get.

Either way, Parker is a drunk who got pulled twice for DUI. Funny how people give people passes for this crime, guess they never lost someone to a drunk on the roads. He also made a profit off embarrassingly low labor rates. If you have been happy with US out of PHX you simply have no expectations for an airline. We don't call her US Scare for nothing here on the easy coast.

Alan Mulally is making money with Ford, but they still have the same problems they have always had. This airline was going in the right direction, I'm pretty sure Parker will kill that and unless he grounds all his older planes, he will also ensure AA has the same "mixed fleet / old problems" AA looked like it was solving. This merger is simply about stupid unions and debt holders that wanted to get paid, regardless of anything else. Apple had plenty of issues, that they dumped at the feet of Jobs and that investors couldn't deal with becaus they had no patience. We know how that turned out before the man took over again. Because Wall Street things something will get them paid today has nothing to do with whether a decision is the best thing for the long term health of a company.

Cheers,
AA777
Labor rates should be as low as they can be so long as the job gets done properly. The question is whether US (and other airlines/companies) are paying enough to attract the right kind of talent, not whether their profit margins are aided by low ages. Profit margins SHOULD be aided by keeping wage rates as low as possible.

And the DUI thing is entirely irrelevant to running an airline. If Parker was a drunk, that would. Getting a DUI or two doesn't make one a drunk. It makes them drunk (at least legally) at the time. But it doesn't make them a drunk. And let's remember that Parker blew a .096 - barely over the limit - and under the limit of .10 that was common until the states got bullied by MADD/Washington. And of course well under the limit of 0.15 in the 1980s (a number that I believe was too high). But the point is, its not like Parker went out on a bender and then hopped behind the wheel. He went out as people do and miscalculated by a relatively slight margin.

Mind you, I'm not condoning drunk driving. People do lose their lives obviously. But a DUI doesn't equal a drunk and doesn't equal someone not able to run an airline.

Last edited by sts603; Nov 30, 13 at 8:48 am
Old Nov 30, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Your personal attacks are truly classless.

If you sit in Y, and just want a plane to get you from point A to B I'm sure you will love Parker. If you are looking for a quality premium experience and spend most of your money on long haul flights I'm sure you have no idea just how bad things may get.

Either way, Parker is a drunk who got pulled twice for DUI. Funny how people give people passes for this crime, guess they never lost someone to a drunk on the roads. He also made a profit off embarrassingly low labor rates. If you have been happy with US out of PHX you simply have no expectations for an airline. We don't call her US Scare for nothing here on the easy coast.

Alan Mulally is making money with Ford, but they still have the same problems they have always had. This airline was going in the right direction, I'm pretty sure Parker will kill that and unless he grounds all his older planes, he will also ensure AA has the same "mixed fleet / old problems" AA looked like it was solving. This merger is simply about stupid unions and debt holders that wanted to get paid, regardless of anything else. Apple had plenty of issues, that they dumped at the feet of Jobs and that investors couldn't deal with becaus they had no patience. We know how that turned out before the man took over again. Because Wall Street things something will get them paid today has nothing to do with whether a decision is the best thing for the long term health of a company.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Nov 30, 13, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
We all have our feelings one way or another about what will ultimately be the "New American", some strong, some not. However the personal attacks against someone's past transgressions are unhelpful in the discussion.
Old Nov 30, 13, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by morrisunc View Post
Your personal attacks are truly classless.
Classless? Where was the personal attack in there of any member on these boards? Yes, great commentary on Americans when we chastise people for chastising those who drive under the influence MULTIPLE TIMES.

Or do you consider me referencing public records that reveal recorded crimes classless?

TO EVERYONE WHO MINIMIZES THE CRIME OF DUI: if you get caught, government thinks its bad enough that they revoke your Global Entry privileges, it's also can be prosecuted as a felony depending on the circumstances. Many company have it listed as grounds for dismissal or grounds to prevent one from being hired. So I believe that when one commits a crime, they lose the privilege to perform such duties, such as run a publicly traded company. It shows a careless attitude.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Nov 30, 13, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And the moderator team sayeth: stick to the topic and cease and desist with off topic issues more suited to OMNI, or there will be a mass and summary deletion of posts.
Old Dec 1, 13, 2:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Classless? Where was the personal attack in there of any member on these boards? Yes, great commentary on Americans when we chastise people for chastising those who drive under the influence MULTIPLE TIMES.

Or do you consider me referencing public records that reveal recorded crimes classless?

TO EVERYONE WHO MINIMIZES THE CRIME OF DUI: if you get caught, government thinks its bad enough that they revoke your Global Entry privileges, it's also can be prosecuted as a felony depending on the circumstances. Many company have it listed as grounds for dismissal or grounds to prevent one from being hired. So I believe that when one commits a crime, they lose the privilege to perform such duties, such as run a publicly traded company. It shows a careless attitude.

Cheers,
AA777
Yeah. Sure. Ok.

You don't like Douggie and don't want the merger. Got it.

<redacted>

Last edited by miamigrad; Dec 1, 13 at 12:02 pm
Old Dec 1, 13, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Many [companies] have it listed as grounds for dismissal or grounds to prevent one from being hired. So I believe that when one commits a crime, they lose the privilege to perform such duties, such as [running] a publicly traded company. It shows a careless attitude.
A fair and rational point ^
Old Dec 1, 13, 9:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Here's the deal: Doug Parker has two DUI violations, as adjudicated by the courts and seen in the public record. We all know this if we read this thread. He's a public figure, so he can be discussed in the framework of the impending merger.

However, the ongoing concern about Parker's DUIs is becoming disruptive and dilatory to the main issue here, THE AA - US MERGER!

Now move on with the topic, please.

/Moderator
Old Dec 1, 13, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Based on the content since the DOJ caved this thread has clearly run it's course - time to let it die. The agreement has been written, the announcement has been made and the DOJ has caved. Perhaps a new thread about the repercussions of the merger may be in order but this thread has long since stopped being a useful source of opinion or fact.
Old Dec 1, 13, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I think MTS / Stripy is correct.

We will open a new thread soon, but this one has exceeded its shelf life by some days.

Posts have been deleted. The next steps for those declining to follow the TOS they agreed to uphold include words like "warning" and "suspension".

Your persistence has lost this thread.

JDiver

Search this Thread
Search Engine: