Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by morrisunc
Read under "Rookies Together" - Horton's idea for the merger - so he says.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...-the-storm.ece

Airline execs are underpaid IMO - my boss makes much more and only has to manage 300 employees - and NO unions. DP has been very open with US employees about how he is compensated - He definitely deserves what he has been awarded by the board, if not more.
Airline execs aren't underpaid when you consider how little (any?) profit the industry as a whole has made over its history. I do agree they have a lot to deal with - it's a tough business.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Airline execs aren't underpaid when you consider how little (any?) profit the industry as a whole has made over its history. I do agree they have a lot to deal with - it's a tough business.
Parker's compensation is largely based on financial success - the airlines have to be run by someone and Doug Parker could make a lot more money going into PE and having 5 employees. Tough business is an understatement - I do think Parker/Horton/Anderson are passionate about the business which helps - no so sure about Smiseck - I think he just kinda landed on the throne and would be just as happy running a fast food chain.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Read under "Rookies Together" - Horton's idea for the merger - so he says.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...-the-storm.ece

Airline execs are underpaid IMO - my boss makes much more and only has to manage 300 employees - and NO unions. DP has been very open with US employees about how he is compensated - He definitely deserves what he has been awarded by the board, if not more.
Thanks for the link! It seems a bit of "revisionism" to me however. Also from the article:

"But it won’t be Horton at the top. And that has to sting mightily. "

Also, regarding him not being at the top:

"Horton refuses to go there." He sidesteps that and talks about "team".

The article also states how Parker went behind the back of Horton.

The article does support one of LAXJFKesq's comment of:

"Horton said he initiated talks with Parker about a possible merger in September 2011, shortly after American announced its blockbuster airplane deal for 460 Boeing and Airbus jets, with options for 465 more."

Parker's compensation is largely based on financial success - the airlines have to be run by someone and Doug Parker could make a lot more money going into PE and having 5 employees. Tough business is an understatement - I do think Parker/Horton/Anderson are passionate about the business which helps - no so sure about Smiseck - I think he just kinda landed on the throne and would be just as happy running a fast food chain.
All of the carriers lately have been financially "successful" -at least profitable.

Also, part of US profitabilty was due to below-industry average wages.

I can't wait to see how all of this turns out the next 2-3 years.

Like I said, "pass the popcorn please".
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Thanks for the link! It seems a bit of "revisionism" to me however. Also from the article:

"But it won’t be Horton at the top. And that has to sting mightily. "

Also, regarding him not being at the top:

"Horton refuses to go there." He sidesteps that and talks about "team".

The article also states how Parker went behind the back of Horton.

The article does support one of LAXJFKesq's comment of:

"Horton said he initiated talks with Parker about a possible merger in September 2011, shortly after American announced its blockbuster airplane deal for 460 Boeing and Airbus jets, with options for 465 more."

It seems to say TH approached DP before entering 11 -- and thought DP was willing to wait until post - 11 --- and that DP blindsided TH - as TH thought they had a gentleman's agreement.

While that may have happened, it certainly doesn't make a lot of sense -- why would DP wait on the sidelines - after having been a dumped date multiple times before? What would DP have told his BoD if AMR had like the others jilted him? Why would DP wait for AMR to emerge from 11 when it would be strong instead of making the move when it was weak?

All in all - a very interesting piece -- however - it seems like a real stretch that Parker would have some type of gentleman's agreement to "stand down" during 11.

I do think the piece also underscores where Horton is tone-deaf to the Unions, continuing to refer to his "good-friend" AArpey. While Horton may be a really good friend and stand up guy - his only way to get the Unions on his side would be been throwing his 'good friend' under the bus.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
In the end Parker outfoxed Horton. He took the lessons from failed DL and UA and used them well. No whether he can deliver time will tell.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Some routes may be moved/reduced, like some of the European schedule from CLT and PHL. Neither city produces very much European O&D compared to BOS, NYC or MIA (or CHI, LAX, SFO, etc) but if new AA does not expand some more to Asia, it will not succeed long-term.
What are the 2011-2012 O&D numbers for PHL - Europe?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:06 pm

As flights are cut, airfares go up, at least at first

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...lines/3650281/

"In the past eight years, a period when the airline industry experienced a flurry of mergers, escalating fuel costs and a global recession, many airports that experienced deep cuts in service have seen steep spikes in fares.

A USA TODAY Network analysis of the country's top 100 airports in the 48 contiguous states found that on average, those that lost at least a quarter of their domestic seats since the start of 2005 saw nearly twice the average fare increase over the past eight years. The analysis is based on inflation-adjusted fare data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and airline schedule data from OAG Aviation Worldwide."

There is an illuminating chart included with the article:

"FARES AT 100 LARGE U.S. AIRPORTS
First-quarter 2013 average domestic fares, the change since first-quarter 2005 after adjusting for inflation, and the change in available seats on domestic flights for the same period:"
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Agree - It's not DP's company to have an gentlemen s agreement with - it's own by the shareholders and his fiduciary responsibility is to them - I would say that he has served their interests well - I just wish I had bought their stock back when it traded for $5.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
It seems to say TH approached DP before entering 11 -- and thought DP was willing to wait until post - 11 --- and that DP blindsided TH - as TH thought they had a gentleman's agreement.

While that may have happened, it certainly doesn't make a lot of sense -- why would DP wait on the sidelines - after having been a dumped date multiple times before? What would DP have told his BoD if AMR had like the others jilted him? Why would DP wait for AMR to emerge from 11 when it would be strong instead of making the move when it was weak?

All in all - a very interesting piece -- however - it seems like a real stretch that Parker would have some type of gentleman's agreement to "stand down" during 11.

I do think the piece also underscores where Horton is tone-deaf to the Unions, continuing to refer to his "good-friend" AArpey. While Horton may be a really good friend and stand up guy - his only way to get the Unions on his side would be been throwing his 'good friend' under the bus.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Agree - It's not DP's company to have an gentlemen s agreement with - it's own by the shareholders and his fiduciary responsibility is to them - I would say that he has served their interests well - I just wish I had bought their stock back when it traded for $5.
LCC stock is not for the faint of heart. Yeah hindsight is great and I DID buy it back at $6/share, watched as DP played around with shareholders every couple months. The price would go up, and DP would dump $200mil worth of more shares on the market, driving the price down. It's a mess of a stock, and I held on till $10, but that took almost 3 years. DP is a smart businessman, but in no way looking out for common shareholder interests. It's all about institutional investors.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
Alioto is the same guy that filed lawsuits challenging the DL-NW, UA-CO, and WN-FL mergers. I doubt anyone is taking him seriously anymore. I hope he wins, but I'm not betting on it.
We will have Judge Lane's ruling on the private antitrust complaint before Thanksgiving...
Judge: I’ll rule as quickly as I can in American Airlines-US Airways case, maybe today
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by perseus11
What are the 2011-2012 O&D numbers for PHL - Europe?
Annual passengers:

Frankfurt

Chicago - 120,000
Miami - 140,000
New York - 469,000
Philadelphia - 60,000

London

Chicago - 377,000
Miami - 490,000
New York - 2,400,000
Philadelphia - 152,000

Paris

Chicago -174,000
Miami - 245,000
New York - 1,080,000
Philadelphia - 66,000

Rome

Chicago - 95,000
Miami - 125,000
New York - 455,000
Philadelphia - 64,000

Venice

Chicago - 21,000
Miami - 35,000
New York - 132,000
Philadelphia - 16,000

Zurich

Chicago - 60,000
Miami - 125,000
New York - 341,000
Philadelphia - 18,000
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by RDUpax
We will have Judge Lane's ruling on the private antitrust complaint before Thanksgiving...
Judge: I’ll rule as quickly as I can in American Airlines-US Airways case, maybe today
Judge Lane is a bankruptcy judge in New York. The private antitrust complaint is in the Northern District of California.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
Judge Lane is a bankruptcy judge in New York. The private antitrust complaint is in the Northern District of California.
Yes, exactly! I don't understand why Alioto is not asking a judge in California for the Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) but he was in Judge Lane's court today asking for a TRO.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by RDUpax
Yes, exactly! I don't understand why Alioto is not asking a judge in California for the Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) but he was in Judge Lane's court today asking for a TRO.
Try judge Judy or Judge Joseph Albert Wapner (born November 15, 1919), a retired American judge and former television judge. He is the first star of the ongoing reality courtroom series, The People's Court.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by elitetraveler

I also believe the reason is below:

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
In the end Parker outfoxed Horton. He took the lessons from failed DL and UA and used them well. No whether he can deliver time will tell.
+1. That's basically what it boils down to IMHO.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...lines/3650281/

"A USA TODAY Network analysis of the country's top 100 airports in the 48 contiguous states found that on average, those that lost at least a quarter of their domestic seats since the start of 2005 saw nearly twice the average fare increase over the past eight years. The analysis is based on inflation-adjusted fare data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and airline schedule data from OAG Aviation Worldwide."
Very interesting link (thank you).

Thanks DOJ..spineless jerks.

Like him or hate him, he really stepped up to the plate and delivered.

Now lets see how does going forward. IMHO, he won't be as effective as promised or is claiming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.