Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I hit a million miles on UA just before the merger. And with the merger saw that million mile status severely downgraded. I am about 25,000 miles from 2 million miles on AA, and lifetime, who knows. But probably not Platinum, or at least not second tier. Maybe third tier, next to worthless, or nothing.
I made 1MM at UA in 2010 and walked away from them at the end of 2011, solely because of the change in benefits for that tier (that's 1MM BIS miles for those not up on UA). I'm willing to give AA the benefit of the doubt right now that they're not going to mess with the million miler program, just as I am the EXP program, particularly in light of the changes they made a year or two back to limit lifetime status to flight miles.

If AA does match UA, when I do drop from EXP I'll just split my miles between the two of them. Not expecting that to happen for a few years, though.

Did US have a lifetime status tier(s)?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak:20243257
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Interesting merger factoid: the combined carrier will be a very strong #2 at LaGuardia, holdind roughly one-third of the airport's slots.

The combined airline will also zoom ahead of UA and be the largest airline at LAX (even without US, AA-UA are virtually tied for the largest as is).

AA will also obviously become the largest airline at PIT (PITLAX and PITLHR anyone?), but also once again the largest at RDU.
I'm expecting that soon if I want to fly anywhere out of LGA I will be connecting in PHL. US seemed to be reducing, I expect that to continue.
I think we will see a lot of the old US slots re-alloctaed into stronger AA markets e.g. LGA-MCI, IND etc.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by IggySD
For those of you who are cautiously hopeful I wish I could share your optimism. But can anyone come up with an example of an airline merger that actually benefited the consumer? They always seem to claim to with the expanded route network and all that but from observing the DL/NW merger and suffering through the CO takeover of UA I just fail to see how this could in any way be good news for anyone who actually flies (excepting of course the possibility that one or both of the carriers would have just ceased to exist).
For at least some of us, it means more options. When AA implemented the cornerstone strategy, many lost some point-to-point service.

I would also like to believe that the expanded network will bring more award redemption opportunities - domestically and TATL. In the latter case, alternatives to connections in LHR on BA,, PHL instead of JFK. For Mexico, Central America and the Carribean, PHX becomes an alternative to DFW.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:44 pm

I suspect a number of things will happen at the new AA under Parker's leadership, including the following:

1) Mixed fleets are here to stay. With an airline as large as the New American there will be little cost savings in rationalizing the mainline fleet under one manufacturer. I suspect with A350's and 787's coming down the pipeline.
2) Three-Classes of service internationally is likely to be eliminated to allow greater fleet flexibility.
3) AAdvantage will probably the surviving brand at the New American, but will probably be dominated by the best practices from the Dividend Miles Program.
4) Horton's domestic IFE will be the first thing on the chopping block as it probably costs more to install than generates in additional revenue.
5) Likely the AA A321 3-Class Premium service will go away in favor of a simpler 2-Class arrangement that can be supported by US's existing A321 fleet. Niche products are not necessarily Parker's greatest strengths and may be a huge source of expenditure for the existing AA.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
A partition has been installed at LAX gate 45 this evening. Chairs and monitors have been set up behind the curtain and the area has the feel of a remote press conference. Is something else going on at LAX or could this be merger announcement related?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I disagree. I don't think that Parker is so stupid as to LCCify the high-revenue AA that he worked so hard to takeover.
I'm not too sure about this. After the US Airways-America West merger, Parker discontinued all in flight entertainment on narrow-body flights, downgraded the first class product, tried to charge for all drinks (he backed off when competitors didn't match), and is experimenting with selling meals on Trans-Atlantic flights. Could he do the same with the new AA? I hope not. We shall see.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:46 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I for one am going to take the lemonade viewpoint, and I will look forward to traveling to AMS, BRU, MUC, and especially TLV on AA metal, hopefully without having to pay baksheesh to Willy.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by grahampros
No, loss of competition is not always bad. Sometimes it's exactly what's needed for an industry like the airline industry to allow it to survive. There is such a thing a destructive competition and the airline industry is famous for that. It's finally stabilizing to a point it can earn it's costs of capital.

Yes, it's oneworld, that's been known from the beginning that AA brand stays and it stays in oneworld.
It depends. VX has been relentlessly attacking AA at SFO while losing scads of cash. AA has responded by cutting flights right and left. Maybe a combined US/AA will be strong enough to put some pressure on VX.

Still, I'm worried. I'm a loyalist to AA. I feel they have generally treated me well (recent NYC blizzard notwithstanding). I rarely sit in the back and I don't pay anything extra to sit up front except for the occasional UK luxury tax. It's hard to imagine there won't be at least a few changes I don't like, and it's hard to imagine there won't be some operational days down the road that make me pull out what's left of my hair.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by fluglux
I suspect a number of things will happen at the new AA under Parker's leadership, including the following:

1) Mixed fleets are here to stay. With an airline as large as the New American there will be little cost savings in rationalizing the mainline fleet under one manufacturer. I suspect with A350's and 787's coming down the pipeline.
2) Three-Classes of service internationally is likely to be eliminated to allow greater fleet flexibility.
3) AAdvantage will probably the surviving brand at the New American, but will probably be dominated by the best practices from the Dividend Miles Program.
4) Horton's domestic IFE will be the first thing on the chopping block as it probably costs more to install than generates in additional revenue.
5) Likely the AA A321 3-Class Premium service will go away in favor of a simpler 2-Class arrangement that can be supported by US's existing A321 fleet. Niche products are not necessarily Parker's greatest strengths and may be a huge source of expenditure for the existing AA.
6) Existing IFE on current AA aircraft will be discontinued.
7) Hubs: DFW, MIA, PHL, CLT, ORD, PHX, and to a lesser extent DCA.
8) JFK and LAX to be restructured to focus on O/D traffic.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by austin_res
I'm not too sure about this. After the US Airways-America West merger, Parker discontinued all in flight entertainment on narrow-body flights, downgraded the first class product, tried to charge for all drinks (he backed off when competitors didn't match), and is experimenting with selling meals on Trans-Atlantic flights. Could he do the same with the new AA? I hope not. We shall see.
Yes, he did. He discontinued all in-flight entertainment in domestic USA. That's why we couldn't watch the movie anymore. Oh well! Those passengers who want to watched in-flight movie & flight tracking, and satellite TV as well.

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by etsmyers
1. If you all are leaving, dont let the door hit you in the crack on the way out. More upgrades
Think you need to look at Math a little more. US with 25% Less Premium seats in their short haul fleet actually mean LESS Upgrades for everybody.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by fluglux

Unlikely with regards to number 5. US's 321's are range limited for the route and AA's it's taking starting this year have the "Shark" winglet that improves the range enough that the route can be operated reliably year round without fuel stops. The JFK transcons are the last they want to have diverted on relatively regular basis do to range limitations.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by diver858
For at least some of us, it means more options. When AA implemented the cornerstone strategy, many lost some point-to-point service.

I would also like to believe that the expanded network will bring more award redemption opportunities - domestically and TATL. In the latter case, alternatives to connections in LHR on BA,, PHL instead of JFK. For Mexico, Central America and the Carribean, PHX becomes an alternative to DFW.
Fair enough. And that was the one thing I was looking forward to with CO arriving in *A - I looked at their Latin American routes, especially Mexico and Central America and drooled. Unfortunately the cost of having all those new interesting destinations available for awards was a complete gutting of the flying experience. Hopefully this merger will go better but history seems to show that when the two carriers have different ways of doing things, it's the most customer unfriendly method that survives.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by AAClubGeek
22.6M who can afford to fly > 1.03B when most of those 1.03B have no possibility of paying a fare that would ever generate a profit. Talk to or at least listen to AA route planning people and you'll find that the data they have gives them little inclination to expend any effort growing into Africa.

It may seem foolish to care so little about an entire continent with 1B+ people, but the economies there simply don't justify significant flying. AA's focus for expansion is the routes that will generate the highest profit. That is primarily additional South America routes, with flights into mainland China maybe slightly higher on the priority list, if they can get slots in PEK/PVG.
Ya ... It's so important of a market that I can't find any flights that one could use an AA eVIP on

Canada has 30-some million people who can equally afford to fly and one world has no carriers that hub there ... same situation.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:59 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I for one am going to take the lemonade viewpoint, and I will look forward to traveling to AMS, BRU, MUC, and especially TLV on AA metal, hopefully without having to pay baksheesh to Willy.
Haha. I'll agree to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.