Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Old Feb 13, 13, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
WOW - nothing but gloom and doom here. I personally was not a fan of the deal, but after some reading, further reflection, there may be cause for optimism.

As some have indcated in the earlier thread, we can only hope that Parker has learned his lessons well, will follow the path of quality over quantity - focusing on higher yielding routes, willing to give up on unprofitable one - which means a bunch of current US flights under the new labor agreements.

AMR was looking to hire a few thousand pilots, so there should be plenty of openings for displaced US pilots - same goes for FAs. There should also be lots more opportunities to outsource regional jets to Republic - unless US partner Mesa plays a larger role.

I am also not convinced that Parker will immediately undo efforts to attract disaffected elites from UA and DL, as the current AMR strategies are working, are not unlike some of what Parker has attempted to do with his severe financial constraints. If this proves to be the case, management will go out of their way, attempts to smooth out the many bumps in the consolidated road ahead for elites.

At the end of the day, what choice do we have?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
Old Feb 13, 13, 8:51 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,7MM), WN
Originally Posted by Dreamworks View Post
Us US folks aren't excited about this either. But we're not on the ledge. The biggest fear for US people is the end of the Star Alliance. I know tha OW is supposed to be quantity and not quality, but I'm not buying it. Anyone think OW is better?
It's quality and not quantity. And, yes, it is better than Star.
Old Feb 13, 13, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
AA will also obviously become the largest airline at PIT (PITLAX and PITLHR anyone?), but also once again the largest at RDU.
RDU has almost as much domestic O&D as CLT, despite being a substantially smaller metro area. And a nice new terminal to replace the old AA hub terminal.
Old Feb 13, 13, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
As some have indcated earlier, we can only hope that Parker has learned his lessons well, will follow the path of quality over quantity - focusing on higher yielding routes, willing to give up on unprofitable one - which means a bunch of current US flights under the new labor agreements.

AMR was looking to hire a few thousand pilots, so there should be plenty of openings for displaced US pilots - same goes for FAs. There should also be lots more opportunities to outsource regional jets to Republic - unless US partner Mesa plays a larger role.

The only constant will be change, uncertainty is the only certainty - strap in and enjoy the ride...

It seems to me that his lesson is cut cost and service and you win. Exactly what lesson are you talking about?
Old Feb 13, 13, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Interesting merger factoid: the combined carrier will be a very strong #2 at LaGuardia, holdind roughly one-third of the airport's slots.

The combined airline will also zoom ahead of UA and be the largest airline at LAX (even without US, AA-UA are virtually tied for the largest as is).

AA will also obviously become the largest airline at PIT (PITLAX and PITLHR anyone?), but also once again the largest at RDU.
I'm expecting that soon if I want to fly anywhere out of LGA I will be connecting in PHL. US seemed to be reducing, I expect that to continue.
Old Feb 13, 13, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
I agree we will see a fourth tier; I don't think AA, nor UA, will adapt revenue-based elite levels. I expect the opposite: take advantage of the fact it doesn't use them and DL does (combined with DL's industry-worst FF program).
Doubt that once the dust settles on the merger. UA is only holding off right now because of the merger drama. If the settle down which is likely, they will likely implement. There were the first actually with the idea back in 99/2000 and never implemented because of 911 and their labor issues at the time.
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
For me, this could only enhance my AA experience with the US routes. As a United FF, it has been nearly a decade since I have been on an America West flight (i.e., before the takeover of old US).
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by 787fan View Post
Japan is not connected to Eurasia. If you think like that (just to make oneworld look good), then why call Japan Asia at all ?

Even if we use your definition that NZ is worthless and only Australia mean something, you're seriously comparing Australia (population 22.6M) to Africa (population 1.03B) ??
22.6M who can afford to fly > 1.03B when most of those 1.03B have no possibility of paying a fare that would ever generate a profit. Talk to or at least listen to AA route planning people and you'll find that the data they have gives them little inclination to expend any effort growing into Africa.

It may seem foolish to care so little about an entire continent with 1B+ people, but the economies there simply don't justify significant flying. AA's focus for expansion is the routes that will generate the highest profit. That is primarily additional South America routes, with flights into mainland China maybe slightly higher on the priority list, if they can get slots in PEK/PVG.
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What "displaced US pilots"?

Horton had told the pilots that he planned to hire 2,500 over five years to support his plan of 20% growth at the key business markets - the cornerstones.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...five-years.ece

With this merger, that alternative growth plan is probably not going to happen. Accordingly, the work rule improvements that AA gained in bankruptcy will probably mean a surplus of pilots, not a shortage that would require the hiring of 2,500 over five years. No way will AA be hiring a "few thousand" new pilots over the next five years.
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:03 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
A few points

WOW - nothing but gloom and doom here. I personally was not a fan of the deal, but after some reading, further reflection, there may be cause for optimism.

As some have indcated in the earlier thread, we can only hope that Parker has learned his lessons well, will follow the path of quality over quantity - focusing on higher yielding routes, willing to give up on unprofitable one - which means a bunch of current US flights under the new labor agreements.

I am also not convinced that Parker will immediately undo efforts to attract disaffected elites from UA and DL, as the current AMR strategies are working, are not unlike some of what Parker has attempted to do with his severe financial constraints. If this proves to be the case, management will go out of their way, attempts to smooth out the many bumps in the consolidated road ahead for elites.

At the end of the day, what choice do we have?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
1. If you all are leaving, dont let the door hit you in the crack on the way out. More upgrades

2. As a CP flying 150+ segments per year (75% Eastern time, 15% central, 10% pacific), I have had 4 flights I upgraded using miles, other than that, I have a 100% upgrade success for 27 months now. No stickers, nothing. Though our jalopies may be not the prettiest, the seats are big, and comfy and the beer is as cold in plastic, as it is in the occasional glass. That is what I am most worried about.

3. For frequent fliers, presumably for business, many of you must have failed business 101. You cant give the house away for cheap fares, coupled with union wages for long.

4. Step away from the keyboard for a week and lets see what happens. I moderate some other message forums and I would have locked this whine fest after post #2
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:08 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by etsmyers View Post
1. If you all are leaving, dont let the door hit you in the crack on the way out. More upgrades

2. As a CP flying 150+ segments per year (75% Eastern time, 15% central, 10% pacific), I have had 4 flights I upgraded using miles, other than that, I have a 100% upgrade success for 27 months now. No stickers, nothing. Though our jalopies may be not the prettiest, the seats are big, and comfy and the beer is as cold in plastic, as it is in the occasional glass. That is what I am most worried about.

3. For frequent fliers, presumably for business, many of you must have failed business 101. You cant give the house away for cheap fares, coupled with union wages for long.

4. Step away from the keyboard for a week and lets see what happens. I moderate some other message forums and I would have locked this whine fest after post #2
Glad you don't moderate here then. Hope it stays that way.
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
At first I was opposed to this merger as I see the AA product being degraded. But then I realized that CLT will now become an AA hub and since I'll be achieving status on AA this year, I'll have another option besides DL through ATL or DTW from where I live when I fly home to NC, as US and DL are the only options (I refuse to fly UA). AA wasnt an option AA doesn't fly ORD-GSO and I'm not going down to DFW to get to NC.

Anyway, best wishes for the AA and US employees in all of this. Hope all/most come out okay and get to keep their jobs.
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:17 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The interesting thing for me here is how they'll manage upgrades. On AA, you can usually buy F right up until departure (i.e., they don't fill it with upgraders at the windows). US isn't like that - if you need to make a change within the upgrade windows, you can kiss your seat in the front of the bus goodbye.

That's a major difference for me since I tend to book close in and often have to make changes.

In theory, if they integrate FFPs realtively quickly, this benefits me as I wound up just missing CP by 6 segments and 5k miles, landing at 114/95k. On AA, I only did about 40/40k. Combined, it's fat city. Heck, if they just stick with AA's segment requirements I'm golden.

... also makes the 1k comp and subsequent 25k of January flying look even dumber on my part than it already did.
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by AAClubGeek View Post
22.6M who can afford to fly > 1.03B when most of those 1.03B have no possibility of paying a fare that would ever generate a profit. Talk to or at least listen to AA route planning people and you'll find that the data they have gives them little inclination to expend any effort growing into Africa.

It may seem foolish to care so little about an entire continent with 1B+ people, but the economies there simply don't justify significant flying. AA's focus for expansion is the routes that will generate the highest profit. That is primarily additional South America routes, with flights into mainland China maybe slightly higher on the priority list, if they can get slots in PEK/PVG.
Agreed. Africa is at the bottom of the list to worry about for AA. The few lucrative routes are already taken. 10-20 years from now who knows.

AA def makes most of the money it does in South America these days. That's why MIA is the most profitable hub. China so far, they and most carriers are not making that much money. Great potential, but yet proven that profitable. Very expensive to operate, limited slots, tight control by the Chinese government etc has made it difficult to make money. It's more a future investment rather then making much if any money.

Last edited by grahampros; Feb 13, 13 at 9:40 pm
Old Feb 13, 13, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL
One hope of mine is that when the combined frequent flier program is sorted out, it will retain the one-way awards that AA currently has.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: