Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by realgm
Ok it might be a silly question but hopefully I get an answer.

My parents and sister are travelling to California next month. I want to book their ticket using my AA account to get miles.

Is it possible to book for them using my account and get miles? I am not going to be flying with them.

Thanks in advance!
The AAdvantage program members earn miles for flights they fly, not anyone they know. You can use your miles for their tickets/upgrades, but any miles for flying will go to their AAdvantage account (if they have one). This applies even if you're flying with them.

Personally, I'd suggest you set them up with AAdvantage accounts. There are several programs to keep the miles from expiring and use/transfer their miles when needed.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Got the AADVANTAGE world master card from Citi last Friday, just used it to book my flight for a march trip, should I notice the added free checked bags right away? Tickets say pending now, or do I wait for closure to when I finally check in
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I haven't been offered a cash upgrade in a while, but that's probably because I fly a lot of the heavy LHR routes. You cannot "uncheck in", but you can go to the kiosk when you're at the airport, go through the check in process again, and see if there's an upgrade available then.

Hard to say. Obviously, the more open a flight is, the more likely a cash upgrade will be offered. I'm not sure if the simple existence of C inventory means there's a good chance, but C7 might, plus some U inventory too.
Thank you very much
No cash upgrade offered at OLCI
We'll check tomorrow at the airport
We'll have to check in economy and this is a big zoo as there is no kiosk at the "basement" (elite check in is at the basement, don't deserve better
Wonder if it's really worth it as economy is not that full and I have understand that is also a factor for kiosk upgrade.

By the way, it's impossible to know if cash upgrade were offered at OLCI later in the day ? (except by guessing the inventories or asking the J pax on board

Speaking about LHR, on Friday last month on LHR LAX, they told me that the waiting list was over 30 people from Y to J, not bad
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:33 pm

thank you all for the very detailed replies!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:55 pm

EQMs to reach Gold - questions

mistake, sorry
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:58 pm

Sorry for the dumb questions...

In December I have the following itineraries already booked in discounted economy class tix

Dec 5 - MCO-MIA-GIG
Dec 22 - GIG-DFW-MCO
Dec 24 - MCO-ORD-MSN
Dec 31 - MSN-ORD-CUN

Just became gold, and now I have 34,400 EQMs. I would like to hit platinum by the end of the year. Based on my calculations I dont know if I will or not, because
1. I dont understand if there is still a minimum 500 EQM for Gold for short segments (ORD-MSN or MCO-MIA) that applies for me
2. I dont know if the 25% bonus that Gold receives on flights are considered EQMs and therefore apply to reach the 50,000

Help and sorry for the ignorance!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by naardski

In December I have the following itineraries already booked in discounted economy class tix

Dec 5 - MCO-MIA-GIG
Dec 22 - GIG-DFW-MCO
Dec 24 - MCO-ORD-MSN
Dec 31 - MSN-ORD-CUN

Just became gold, and now I have 34,400 EQMs. I would like to hit platinum by the end of the year. Based on my calculations I dont know if I will or not, because
1. I dont understand if there is still a minimum 500 EQM for Gold for short segments (ORD-MSN or MCO-MIA) that applies for me
2. I dont know if the 25% bonus that Gold receives on flights are considered EQMs and therefore apply to reach the 50,000

1. There still is a 500 EQM minimum.
2. The 25% bonus miles GLD gets is redeemable miles (RDM), and not status-qualifying EQM. They don't help you towards status qualification.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by naardski

Dec 5 - MCO-MIA-GIG
Dec 22 - GIG-DFW-MCO
Dec 24 - MCO-ORD-MSN
Dec 31 - MSN-ORD-CUN

Yes - as a gold you will get a 500 mile minimum for your short segments.

No - the 25% bonus does not count towards EQMs.

Using Great Circle Mapper and the the 500 mile minimums, I am getting 14319 EQMs. That would put you about a thousand miles short of Plt.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:44 am

DFW to HRE

Hello my wife and I are going to Harare Zimbabwe in August 2014 for about 10 days. I have 150K AA and 108K Avios points. I tried using the AA, BA and oneworld websites but they don't seem to like HRE. I can see options for BA and AA on other websites though.

Here are my questions.

How do I book a DFW to HRE flight using miles?
Do I have enough miles?
If I don't have enough can I purchase economy tickets then upgrade using miles?

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:48 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Presuming you are checking original luggage through to final destination, I'm not aware of any checks being done on already checked bags. When you return to LAX, just check your new bag using the BP from LAX.
Thanks! Alternately, if I want to bring the suitcase with me in LA. Can I keep it after going through the customs at LAX, instead of dropping it off at the bag drop? I imagine that should be okay too, but should I tell the check-in counter at NRT that I want to check to LAX or ORD?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:20 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasongifty
Hello my wife and I are going to Harare Zimbabwe in August 2014 for about 10 days. I have 150K AA and 108K Avios points. I tried using the AA, BA and oneworld websites but they don't seem to like HRE. I can see options for BA and AA on other websites though.

Here are my questions.

How do I book a DFW to HRE flight using miles?
Do I have enough miles?
If I don't have enough can I purchase economy tickets then upgrade using miles?

Thanks for your help!
To get to HRE you will need to get to JNB first then make a connection on BA partner airline Comair.

check ba.com and aa.com to see the respective award charts to determine how many miles you will need.

To upgrade paid economy tickets on BA with AA miles you must purchase the most expensive economy fares.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:12 am

I'm EXP on AA. I have a confirmed upgrade on a 5PM flight from SFO to ORD this Friday.
I am unable to get on that flight. I want to standby for the red eye. The flight is over sold per EXP desk.I cant even do the $75 confirmed standby.
Was told i cant roll over to the next day. My fare was < 200 one way and well that'd be gone....
Do I have any other options.
I can route through lax or dfw. but lax red eye is also oversold.
I have a return ticket as a separate one way and well that's gona go to waste if i cant an outbound. i just cancelled my hotel reservations

thx
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
The flyer, not the purchaser, receives mileage credit from the flight.
Why do airlines (not just AA) credit the traveler and not the one who pays, but hotel programs require that the traveler must pay and not a client? Guess it makes sense to the companies involved.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes
I'm EXP on AA. I have a confirmed upgrade on a 5PM flight from SFO to ORD this Friday.
I am unable to get on that flight. I want to standby for the red eye. The flight is over sold per EXP desk.I cant even do the $75 confirmed standby.
Was told i cant roll over to the next day. My fare was < 200 one way and well that'd be gone....
Do I have any other options.
I can route through lax or dfw. but lax red eye is also oversold.
I have a return ticket as a separate one way and well that's gona go to waste if i cant an outbound. i just cancelled my hotel reservations

thx
Ok first of all, there are two different things: same day standby (free for elites), and same day confirmed flight change ($75 regardless of status). Which one are you trying to do?

If there's no E inventory for that flight, then you won't be able to CFC onto that flight. But there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to standby for that flight. Did you ask to standby, and was refused? If so, call again.

Are you talking about the AA1522 redeye on Friday? That flight is currently Y1, but there more than 1/3 of the seats are unoccupied (mostly premium seats). Possibly lots of non-elites have tickets but opted not to pay for a seat, or maybe they're restricting inventory for some other reason.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Nov 7, 2013 at 12:54 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by relangford
Why do airlines (not just AA) credit the traveler and not the one who pays, but hotel programs require that the traveler must pay and not a client? Guess it makes sense to the companies involved.
I'm not sure I understand. There is no such restriction on hotel programs that I know of. It makes no sense to allow the purchaser to earn miles if he/she is not flying. I could simply pay for all my friends' and family's flights and earn EXP without taking a single flight, etc. Same for hotel elite status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.