Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by kma2235
I am looking to book 20K MileSAAver awards to Madrid Spain but run in to the BA fees that cost near as much to purchase a ticket outright. It would be a waste to use my points.

My ideal would be SAN - MAD then AGP - SAN. I am not looking to depart until March 2014.

I have played a bit with the internet bookings and can avoid BA on one leg of the trip if I depart from a different origin airport which is doable -but a big hassle.

I called AAdvanatage reservations and they advised I call in and see if new options come up that may not be available on the website.

Is it the forums experience that calling in is a better option than trying to use the internet? I don't want to waste time w/ daily calls if it is futile.

Or is it best to bite the bullet and pay for a ticket because getting to MAD w/o BA involved with sAAver is near impossible? I know I can book other award levels for higher points but I am trying to use as low points as possible to save and travel in the future with what I have.

I appreciate any advice.
The aa.com website is incapable of showing award availability on partners like IB and TN. IB flies to MAD from many U.S. gateways; TN flies LAX-CDG nonstop, and you might be allowed to connect to IB's ORY-MAD flights, depending on TN's published through-fares. So calling AA periodically makes some sense, unless you use some other website to check availability on one or both of those carriers.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Have not flown AA in a long time just got approved for the Citi Platnium World Card, with 50k bonus miles after 3 months, plan to purchase a ticket DFW to MCO booking code N and Q....can someone tell me if either can be upgraded with miles (not til March so will have Bonus miles by than)
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by john398
Have not flown AA in a long time just got approved for the Citi Platnium World Card, with 50k bonus miles after 3 months, plan to purchase a ticket DFW to MCO booking code N and Q....can someone tell me if either can be upgraded with miles (not til March so will have Bonus miles by than)
N and Q can certainly be upgraded with miles. All published fares are upgradable nowadays.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:24 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by icefire1
A guy I was talking to about this said a lot of seats were "unassigned", and that is why it showed so many available seats the night before.

Can Expert Flyer or the KVS tool show me how many actual seats are left on a flight?
Please see:

Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Two I'm sure very simple questions

Haven't booked a flight in years on AA since moving to an AS city. LT Gold, but still flummoxed about the new website. Two questions:

1) When making the reservation, it asked for a contact cell number, hit SAVE, yet it still didn't "take". Several times.

2) And I'm really confused by the seats. Husband is LT Gold so we can pick whatever we want, so we chose the extra 4-6" legroom ones up the front (not the first row, I read about those getting messed up if you have or don't have a row 7 or 8 on your plane, we picked 3rd row back or so). These are ordinary domestic flights, either an MD 80 or a 738. Did we choose wisely over an exit row? Exit rows confused us because of the "blocked seat".

We confuse easily, , that's why I'm glad this thread is flame free. ^
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Haven't booked a flight in years on AA since moving to an AS city. LT Gold, but still flummoxed about the new website. Two questions:

1) When making the reservation, it asked for a contact cell number, hit SAVE, yet it still didn't "take". Several times.

2) And I'm really confused by the seats. Husband is LT Gold so we can pick whatever we want, so we chose the extra 4-6" legroom ones up the front (not the first row, I read about those getting messed up if you have or don't have a row 7 or 8 on your plane, we picked 3rd row back or so). These are ordinary domestic flights, either an MD 80 or a 738. Did we choose wisely over an exit row? Exit rows confused us because of the "blocked seat".

We confuse easily, , that's why I'm glad this thread is flame free. ^
When adding a contact number to an existing reservation the data is saved to your record, but there is no confirmation message displayed.

I think your strategy of selecting the 3rd row of Main Cabin Extra is a smart move.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:23 pm

Thank you, HNL. When you haven't been on the website in a long time it is very confusing. Surprisingly, I also checked Mileage awards for our flight and the FF section was still the same comforting old format.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
It depends what you would prefer. The MCE seats have some extra leg room and normal recline, the exit row seats have even more legroom, but the first exit row has limited recline and the exit seats are less wide.

In regards to the rows with blocked seats (16&17 on the 738), the middle seats in these rows have a tray bolted in. So it has extra elbowroom and extra underseat storage (or legspace if you angle your legs).

Feel free to check out these 2 threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:59 pm

Ohhh, that is an important tidbit of information - that the center armrest is bolted in. I thought it meant it was only temporarily blocked until someone needed the seat. So the center is more like an F configuration - with the very large armrest in the middle?

I'll go take a look at your links now, maybe that will help.

And another question...I thought I read Gold's could only get the preferred seats until the end of this year - our flight is not until next year, they won't throw us out, will they? As long as we reserve them now they're ours?

Just looked at the link/pictures - perfect! I think I'll change to that one on the 738 with the blocked seat - we like to play cards so that will be ideal.

And I did search for the threads on the seats using "738" (seats had TOO many hits) and got no information, so thank you again. I think we'll keep the exit row 2-side on the MD-80.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Oct 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Hi guys. Quick one.

Today: SFO-LAX-LHR. The LAX-LHR leg is BA.

My connecting flight to LAX is currently delayed. I'm not au-fait with the LAX T4-TBIT transfer procedure. It looks like I might have about an hour to make this connection. Too tight?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by opalfruit
Hi guys. Quick one.

Today: SFO-LAX-LHR. The LAX-LHR leg is BA.

My connecting flight to LAX is currently delayed. I'm not au-fait with the LAX T4-TBIT transfer procedure. It looks like I might have about an hour to make this connection. Too tight?
An hour should be good for a domestic to international connection.
1-10 minute walk, get BA boarding pass, clear security.

Maps and details here:

On behalf of the bay area, I apologize for the fog that likely delayed your inbound flight...

Last edited by SFOPhD; Oct 27, 2013 at 6:17 pm Reason: more details
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
An hour should be good for a domestic to international connection.
1-10 minute walk, get BA boarding pass, clear security.

Maps and details here:

On behalf of the bay area, I apologize for the fog that likely delayed your inbound flight...
Thanks! I understand there's an airside bus or somesuch? I definitely don't need to collect my bag, exit T4 and trundle over to TBIT and then re-clear security?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:33 pm

Thanks! I understand there's an airside bus or somesuch? I definitely don't need to collect my bag, exit T4 and trundle over to TBIT and then re-clear security?
The airside shuttle has the potential problem of being infrequent and slow. You might also need a Quantas boarding pass to use it, I'm not sure. Going through security again is annoying, but sometimes faster. Some debate here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...onnection.html

Is your bag checked through to LHR? Please say yes...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You don't need to deal w/your bag if its checked all the way through. However, you will need to make the transfer landside. Its MUCH faster to walk from the AA terminal to TBIT than take the regular, landside bus, Simply walk out of the AA terminal and its the next terminal over. If you take a bus, it will take you all the way around the airport before TBIT.

As for the airside shuttle transfer, its exclusive to Qantas flights.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
My first AA flight coming up!

BOS - PDX via ORD. I'm newly minted EXP via a status match. How likely is it that I get an upgrade via 500-mile? I booked 2 weeks out. Is it automatically done at the 100 hour window, or is it manually done? I can't imagine the latter but the info from the help desk said "an analyst starts looking at it 100 hours out". Is that true???

Also, is food free in first? My economy ticket says "food for purchase". How is the food on AA domestic?

Is the AA lounge access worth it for $450 a year? Will a CC give you free lounge access?

I haven't yet received my EXP card- will that matter for my trip? Or since it's on the PNR, I'll be fine?

Anything else I should know about flying domestic via AA? Most of my travel is international but I'm going to visit family for a weekend.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.