Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, DL, most hotels etc
Question Did I goof with my very first post?

Originally Posted by cpmgrp
... a small sentence or two on the AA page caught my attention (something to the effect of): Business One-World points travelers must fly coach on partner airlines. Ouch! Did I mis-read that? Is it a firm policy or only if First/Business is not available?
The above is from Post 2032/page 136 (my first on FT) and garnered no replies. I'm wondering if I did somethng wrong, like blast into an existing thread with an off-topic question. If so, please point me in the right direction, if not maybe it's just that no one knows the answer? Though experienced with several other forums: here at FT, I deliberately put it in the newbie section, 'cause I yam what I yam - and that's what I yam (to quote Popeye).
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:34 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The above is from Post 2032/page 136 (my first on FT) and garnered no replies. I'm wondering if I did somethng wrong, like blast into an existing thread with an off-topic question. If so, please point me in the right direction, if not maybe it's just that no one knows the answer? Though experienced with several other forums: here at FT, I deliberately put it in the newbie section, 'cause I yam what I yam - and that's what I yam (to quote Popeye).
Nothing wrong. I think was more a case of "not sure what the question is." That's what it was with me. Let me take a stab at clarifying...maybe even answering

This is a case where you have a Business Class award on AA metal, and onward travel with a partner. And the question is what class of service one would fly on the partner in this case?

You will get Business on the partner, if they offer it. However, I don't think you get First if they only have First/Coach.

If this is purely a partner award, there will be no options for a Business award, AFAIK, if they do not have that class.

Let me know if this hits the mark on the underlying question.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Aug 28, 2013 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AS MVP
cpmgrp: Welcome to Flyertalk! You can click through some bookings to check, but Business class awards get Business class seats unless they are not available for a particular segment.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by incognitoMD
Yup.
Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, most hotels etc
Thanks!

Thanks, BRP & Kenny. Probably not the best writing I've ever done, but that was the basic question: If there is no business class on a partner, I will not be upgraded to first, but sent to the back with the chickens and goats.

So my job is to ensure that the partner has a business class on those legs I book with them. On very short hauls, I can deal with coach - so I'll take that into consideration as well. I know I must use at least two partners on a One World award.

Thanks again - and thanks for this site, I'm sure I'll be back many times as I plan this trip (if I don't croak before I take it).
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, BA, DL, UA, TK, SPG Gold
AA Elite Status Promo MR Question:

Hi I signed up for the AA Elite Status Promo and was wondering if these two MRs would qualify towards the status.

AUS-DFW-ANC-DFW-AUS - 6450 EQM = Gold Status - September

AUS-LAX-ORD-CDG-LHR-JNB-LHR-DFW-AUS - 23526 BIS miles + 500 Mile Elite Guarantee for CDG - LHR and DFW - AUS - Mid November.

Per my estimates this would give me the EXP status for about 5.6 cpm. The advantage is that with a US passport, i would not be needing visa.

Can any of the experts on the site confirm the above assessment? I have the second itin on hold till tomorrow night.

thanks

mullisingfb
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Thanks, BRP & Kenny. Probably not the best writing I've ever done, but that was the basic question: If there is no business class on a partner, I will not be upgraded to first, but sent to the back with the chickens and goats.

So my job is to ensure that the partner has a business class on those legs I book with them. On very short hauls, I can deal with coach - so I'll take that into consideration as well. I know I must use at least two partners on a One World award.

Thanks again - and thanks for this site, I'm sure I'll be back many times as I plan this trip (if I don't croak before I take it).
I think you will find relatively few flights on AA's oneworld partners that offer First and Coach, but not Business. Mostly the configurations are First, Business, and Coach; Business and Coach; or Coach only.

Whether you will be able to find award-seat availability in Business on a flight that has a Business Class is, of course, another matter.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Dumb CC question here - how does AA know you have a card (e.g,. Platinum Select card)? For free bag, priority boarding? Do you need to link it in your AA card? Does AA have a direct feed to city (if so, how frequently updated)? Will be traveling next week but may not be able to pick up card from my mailbox in time.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:51 pm

When does AA post the following months IFE on entertainment.aa.com?

Did a search here but came up dry, but I know someone must have already answered this.

Last edited by sinecure; Aug 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
Dumb CC question here - how does AA know you have a card (e.g,. Platinum Select card)? For free bag, priority boarding? Do you need to link it in your AA card? Does AA have a direct feed to city (if so, how frequently updated)? Will be traveling next week but may not be able to pick up card from my mailbox in time.
AA knows. It's linked to your AAdvantage account. When you apply for the card, the application asks for your AAdvantage number (if you don't have one, they make one for you), and then your credit card and FF accounts are linked.

You don't actually need to have the card to get any of it's benefits. Keep in mind that the T&Cs require that the card be open for 7(?) days for the benefits to apply.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

Any intel on whether ill have to activate the card to get free checked bag/group 1 boarding? Tough world shifting to alliance w/o status...

Last edited by A5Globetrotter; Aug 29, 2013 at 6:11 am
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
Any intel on whether ill have to activate the card to get free checked bag/group 1 boarding? Tough world shifting to alliance w/o status...
Yes, you will need to activate the card to get those benefits. Not only that, some benefits kick in only after 7 days of being a card member (it is not very clear whn does the 7 days clock start; when you get approved? When you activate the card? etc.).

Cheers!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Hello all! Not new to FT but new to the AAdvantage forum. I've searched and have been unable to find information on this subject, however I'm looking at purchasing an MCO-LAX NetsAAver fare for ~$230. There's a small green symbol with a $ sign in the middle of it below the select fare circle saying certain restrictions apply.

Additionally, in the NetsAAver email terms and conditions it states, "Unless specified, AAdvantage miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count towards elite-status qualification or Million MilerSM status." As I understand it, if I purchased this fare, I would earn no EQMs for this trip. Is that correct, and are all sAAver fares subject to zero EQM?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Hello all! Not new to FT but new to the AAdvantage forum. I've searched and have been unable to find information on this subject, however I'm looking at purchasing an MCO-LAX NetsAAver fare for ~$230. There's a small green symbol with a $ sign in the middle of it below the select fare circle saying certain restrictions apply.

Additionally, in the NetsAAver email terms and conditions it states, "Unless specified, AAdvantage miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count towards elite-status qualification or Million MilerSM status." As I understand it, if I purchased this fare, I would earn no EQMs for this trip. Is that correct, and are all sAAver fares subject to zero EQM?
You do earn EQMs on NetSAAver fares. I assume the miles they are referring to in the T&Cs are the additional bonus miles given to you by the promotion, which are RDM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:43 am

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'm not sure exactly how to search for an answer. Last night I was looking for award flights (JFK-CDG) for next June, and there appeared to be good availability around the dates I was interested in. But when I checked again this morning (ready to book), there was only 2 dates in June, both too early for me. Also, the qantas.com still shows availability on most days in June. So... will I get a different answer if I call AA? Is qantas.com just not up to date for some reason? Should I just wait and keep checking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.