Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:30 pm

Can I book a ff one-way now and a return later when I have enough miles?

Sorry, couldn't find an exact answer.

I want to use my miles for a round trip from JFK to HND Tokyo next spring. However since I will return after 4/30 when the amount of miles needed go up, right now I do not have enough miles in my account.

My question is: can I book the one-way trip JFK->HND now - 25,000 ff miles and book my return HND->JFK in a couple of months when I will have the 32,500 either from credit cards purchases or another trip?

There is no penalty for booking a round trip separately?

Of course, I know the ff seat still has to be available - I am checking once a week and I guess if it starts looking like it's getting sold out I can always buy the extra miles...

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Hello,
I'm looking at a new booking online (LHR-RDU-LGA-YUL-LHR) and in the 'request upgrade' section, I'm not seeing the normal option to request on the only segment on which it's possible. Yesterday I couldn't request it either, but it had a notation 'riN/A', which is gone now. It's a CR7, which IIRC, has first class. I'm wondering if this might happen when a booking has international legs? Although, I seem to recall being able to request upgrades online on other mixed itineraries. I will call AA to request, just asking out of curiosity.
Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mbnyc
There is no penalty for booking a round trip separately?
No. All roundtrip awards are really just two one way awards put on the same pnr. However, if booked separately as two awards, and for some reason you need to cancel and redeposit the entire trip, or change the award in some way that require extra fees, you will be charged twice the fees, as you booked them as two separate one way awards. If you booked them as a roundtrip, you will only be docked the fees once.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"However, if booked separately as two awards, and for some reason you need to cancel and redeposit the entire trip, or change the award in some way that require extra fees, you will be charged twice the fees, as you booked them as two separate one way awards."

Not exactly.

If both awards are redeemed with miles from the same account, and if both awards are subsequently canceled (and the miles re-deposited) at the same time, then you will only be charged an additional $25 for re-depositing the miles associated with the second award.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Actually, booked on the same PNR, rather than 2 x $150 it will be $150 + $25.00 for redepositing the miles (as long as the ticket is valid, not flown and not expired, of course). Rather than being $300, the redeposit fee will be $175.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:25 pm

Can I book a ff one-way now and a return later when I have enough miles?

Thanks for your replies, incognitoMD, guv1976 and JDiver.....now my only issue is what's a PNR.....I'm sure it's something very easy....but I don't know it.....

I guess I was concerned as a couple of years back after I found out that a one-way ff ticket was allowable I thought, oh, I have enough miles for one way so I'll get an one-way ff ticket and come back on a paid ticket - well, when I priced it the one-way paid ticket would have been more than two rt tickets.....so I couldn't believe that it was so easy with miles.

Thanks again for your patience.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for your replies, incognitoMD, guv1976 and JDiver.....now my only issue is what's a PNR.....I'm sure it's something very easy....but I don't know it.....

I guess I was concerned as a couple of years back after I found out that a one-way ff ticket was allowable I thought, oh, I have enough miles for one way so I'll get an one-way ff ticket and come back on a paid ticket - well, when I priced it the one-way paid ticket would have been more than two rt tickets.....so I couldn't believe that it was so easy with miles.

PNR is the abbreviation for Passenger Name Record, or your confirmation number.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

PNR = Passenger Name Record. It is your reservation record. If you book both flights simultaneously, you'll have one PNR; if you book the flights at different times, you'll have two PNR's: one for each flight.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JY1024
MCE = Main Cabin Extra, basically AA's version of "economy plus" (UA) or "economy comfort" (DL).

Here are some threads to peruse:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
cool! Extra space is always good. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've got a great set of tools in the AA Wiki - including a glossary - a very extensive glossary at that.

Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
We've got a great set of tools in the AA Wiki - including a glossary - a very extensive glossary at that.
Didn't know that - will bookmark it so maybe next time I won't have to ask stupid questions...

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
DFW-ANC-DFW?

Has AA eliminated the non-stop flight on this seasonal route? Can't find anything even in June 2014.
Anyone knows the schedule? Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:39 pm

Hello. If I make a reservation for a friend will I be able to use my elite (brand new Gold, soon to be Platinum) status to choose better seats?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by 323kid
Hello. If I make a reservation for a friend will I be able to use my elite (brand new Gold, soon to be Platinum) status to choose better seats?
Unfortunately, no. Preferred seating availability is dependent on the status of the traveler, not the person booking the reservation.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:27 am

Who would clear first?
Someone with EXP status 5 days out
Someone with Plat status with same fare code 3 months out, and request stickers upgrade 3 months out?

Or in this case
Someone with Plat status with higher fare code 3 months out vs. someone with EXP status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.