Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:23 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILAZXFE
Thank you, I see Travelocity let me search for aa flights, but I don't have destination and time in mind. What I'm looking for is a tool that let me enter the city (Boston) and airline(American), then list all the deals
This thread in the Mileage Run - Discussions forum will be helpful

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ser-guide.html
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HNL
This thread in the Mileage Run - Discussions forum will be helpful

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ser-guide.html
great! found fare compare has a map that I can choose departure and airline. please let me know if there's a better one. thanks a lot!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:28 am

is there a place for people to find AA MR partners? not fun to travel alone and maybe can share hotel cost. I'm from Bos btw.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:21 pm

New here but lurked for a while.

I am curious, why do most people seem to prefer to not rent SUVs and want cars instead?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:53 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Status Matching

Is there a thread out there that covers this subject...?

When it comes to status matching, am I supposed to be making the first step by flying before they do a status match? I recently earned a United 1K status. On an application that AA sent me, one of the questions was 'What is the flight number of my next flight?'.

I haven't flown on AA for a while. The last two times that I've flown on AA, I was in the back of the plane between the two engines of an MD-80.

Does it make sense for American to expect me to make six flights with AA w/o any Gold/Platinum privileges in order to do a status match? Here is my choice:
  • Keep flying on United to Austin with 1K privileges
  • Go back to American and let them make me sit again in the back of an MD-80 as if I were (what are they called...?) a kettle

Which would you choose?

Maybe I don't understand their program.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:57 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
SUV Rentals answer

Originally Posted by salesflyerguy

I am curious, why do most people seem to prefer to not rent SUVs and want cars instead?
They usually cost almost twice as much. My employer will only reimburse me for the rental cost of a full-size car. They won't pay for an SUV. The only time that they did allow me to rent an SUV was when I landed in a city where there was already several inches of unplowed snow on the ground an I wasn't going to get out of the airport unless I had a 4x4.

But the main reason is cost and company policy.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, then, welcome down from lurkerspace.

Please take a moment to look over our forum - it is about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program; it has a FAQ, where information, links and resources can be found,, as well as a Wiki and - at the top of the page - an Announcement: NEWCOMERS: PLEASE READ FIRST.

FlyerTalk has many fora - for rental cars, Avis, Budget, Dollar,Hertz, National, Sixt and Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise). These are the appropriate fora to inquire about car-rental issues, unless they are very general, and then TravelBuzz! might be a good place for a non-specific travel topic.

The top of the forum page usually has a statement about what the forum is intended for.

So, as this is the American AAdvantage Forum, though this is a flame-free "NEWBIE LOUNGE" thread, it is not likely you will get a lot of responses, and may attract some negative commentary - it's not allowed and will be deleted, but it can happen.

Feel free to settle in and get a good look at which fora will be useful to you. Your favorite airlines, car rental companies, destinations and more - they're probably covered, often in depth by some very knowledgeable travelers.

As to your question, I prefer better mileage and a lower profile, and if on business, my clients will rarely pay for SUVs - I have even had interesting times convincing an Orange County based client to pay for an SUV rental if they send me to their facilities in Minnesota in the winter (not so much snow and ice in Irvine, I guess).

JDiver
senior moderator

Originally Posted by salesflyerguy

Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:10 pm

A question in regard to status/how quickly the change takes place.

So I'm registered for the AA elite status promo they offered last week. It requires 6k EQM for Gold. Gold and up receives 500 EQM per segment minimum, correct? So I'll cross the threshold to Gold (6k EQM) part way through a flight to LAX. From LAX I'm going to SFO, will I receive the 500 EQM for the LAX-SFO flight on the same day?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Pinned
A question in regard to status/how quickly the change takes place.

So I'm registered for the AA elite status promo they offered last week. It requires 6k EQM for Gold. Gold and up receives 500 EQM per segment minimum, correct? So I'll cross the threshold to Gold (6k EQM) part way through a flight to LAX. From LAX I'm going to SFO, will I receive the 500 EQM for the LAX-SFO flight on the same day?

Thanks!
Yes. Although it's not really a question of how quickly the status change takes place.

The status will definitely not have posted when you're boarding LAX-SFO, but when the miles for your XXX-LAX flight posts, that's when the status will post.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:48 am

My question concerns the paid AA Elite Status Challenges. I couldn't find anything directly related
by searching, so I thought I would give this thread a try..

I've understood that besides AA (and AA codeshare flights), also any suitable flight (with or without an AA codeshare) on BA, QAT, IB or JAL has counted towards the chosen challenge. I was wondering that since Finnair recently announced a more tight co-operation with AA/BA/IB and has also been popping up in some of the recent AA promotions as an eligible carrier, would somebody have recent information if AY flights (without the AA codeshare) would count towards the AA Challenges aswell?

Thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by tujum
My question concerns the paid AA Elite Status Challenges. I couldn't find anything directly related
by searching, so I thought I would give this thread a try..

I've understood that besides AA (and AA codeshare flights), also any suitable flight (with or without an AA codeshare) on BA, QAT, IB or JAL has counted towards the chosen challenge. I was wondering that since Finnair recently announced a more tight co-operation with AA/BA/IB and has also been popping up in some of the recent AA promotions as an eligible carrier, would somebody have recent information if AY flights (without the AA codeshare) would count towards the AA Challenges aswell?

Thank you.
Welcome to FT tujum

One small problem with the elite status challenge is that it is an unpublished benefit, so any "rules" are discovered piecemeal by users, and reported here for us all to know

So, no one has reported that AY marketed flights are eligible for the challenge (AA marketed flights on AY metal will of course be eligible).

The most recent post, that I could find, giving feedback on which marketing carriers are eligible is this, from April this year
Originally Posted by ashkale
Thanks DN for the feedback!

UPDATE: As of July 2012, flights marketed and operated by certain partners will also be eligible to earn points that count toward the completion of a Challenge: British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas. (Cathay Pacific is notably missing.) The specific language from the challenge confirmation says "And now you have more opportunities to complete your Challenge because points earned on qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your Challenge."
And by the way
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:36 am

Welcome to FT, tujum.

Not long ago, it HAD to be AA; with the Joint Business Agreements, they have extended eligibility to flights by BA, IB (the IAG symbionts), JL and QF. AB, AY, CX / KA, LA and family, MH, RJ and S7 will not count for the Challenge by all accounts (according to e-mails members have received and reproduced - check the thread you were referred to). I don't expect that in the near future LATAM - JJ, QR or UL will count either.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:08 pm

another newbie question: I'm trying to book this trip and wonder if they are the same flight?(so I don't have to worry about delay). Also, wonder how AA thinks about MR like this? is it safe to book for the fast track deal?

4:00 pm – 7:40 pm
American 279 · Dallas to Anchorage DFW-ANC
6h 40m
Economy – Boeing 757
Anchorage – BostonMonday, September 30
8:55 pm – 6:05 am+1
American 278 · Anchorage to Dallas ANC-DFW
6h 10mOvernight flight
Economy – Boeing 757
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:04 pm

Newbie - wants to take my family of 4 to Japan

All - I've got a family of four. I want to take them to Japan (NRT), ideally in Business Class - home airport is IAD. My goal is to have enough AA miles to do this in 2 years through a combination of Citi and SPG miles and points, participating in a Bank Direct account for 1 year. I've got a 1st year line of site to 170k miles with this. It looks like this trip will take 400k miles. I've initially decided to accrue miles under my name with additional cards for my wife. I get to travel at most 3 to 4 trips a year domestic US. My primary interest in going on such a long flight in Business Class is to avoid the misery of coach class for a 17 hour plus journey.

Question 1: Given my proposed strategy, is 400k miles in 2 years time considered a slam dunk simple, intermediate level of difficulty or no way on earth from the professional mileage earning experts? Tough love appreciated.
Question 2: Is AA the best program for my goal journey? I would like to subsequently go from IAD to CDG every other year as well and save some with award travel (Business class not necessary for that journey due to shorter length).
Question 3: If I plan enough in advance with my IAD to NRT proposed itinerary, is finding 4 BC seats on one flight a fool's errand? I looked at the AA site and was surprised because this didn't seem to be the case - depending on when I looked there seemed to be lots of availability.
Question 4: What bonus mile opportunities come up for mere mortal level members of AAdvantage throughout an average year?
Question 5: What's the real verdict on the value of the AA dining program as a viable way to earn max miles?
Question 6: Assuming good credit for both my wife and I, how many miles are viably earnable via Citi Card bonuses during an average single year's time - I'm getting my Citi Personal in the mail today.

Thanks very much for your time in reading this.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:00 pm

I'm not exactly how your MR would work, as it seems there may be a segment missing and I'm having difficulty reading your itinerary. But if you can buy it and it's not nested tickets violating TOS, no problem. They're domestic flights, don;t see a problem as you do not have to do Immigration and Customs or go back through security.

Why would they care about a MR (AA has already demonstrated they don't think much anyway - ) ? They want your business / money.

Originally Posted by ILAZXFE
another newbie question: I'm trying to book this trip and wonder if they are the same flight?(so I don't have to worry about delay). Also, wonder how AA thinks about MR like this? is it safe to book for the fast track deal?

4:00 pm – 7:40 pm
American 279 · Dallas to Anchorage DFW-ANC
6h 40m
Economy – Boeing 757
Anchorage – BostonMonday, September 30
8:55 pm – 6:05 am+1
American 278 · Anchorage to Dallas ANC-DFW
6h 10mOvernight flight
Economy – Boeing 757

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.