Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:30 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Thanks incognitoMD & HNL!

It sounds not very straightforward... I am UK-based, it seems to take a longer to redeem it. Mmm more inconvenience...
While not ideal, the process does work. You just have to plan ahead a little. You can also use the voucher at any ticket counter. So if you will be traveling past LHR or MAN you can stop in a purchase a flight.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Hello! I need some help right now tomorrow im flying MIA-SCL operated by LAN i want to know as a gold member if i can use the mileage multiplier even if I'm flying LAN because I'm sort of close to platinum and it would be great if i could. I also want to know (pardon my question) is that if the J cabin is not full can i ask for an upgrade even though I'm flying class M ?

Thanks for any answers!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 1:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmia
Hello! I need some help right now tomorrow im flying MIA-SCL operated by LAN i want to know as a gold member if i can use the mileage multiplier even if I'm flying LAN because I'm sort of close to platinum and it would be great if i could. I also want to know (pardon my question) is that if the J cabin is not full can i ask for an upgrade even though I'm flying class M ?

Thanks for any answers!
The Mileage Multiplier is not offered on partner airlines. Additionally the miles purchased through the Mileage Multiplier are Redeemable Miles (RDMs) and do not count toward Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs).

LAN does not offer any upgrade instruments to partner airlines frequent fliers. You will not be able to upgrade as an AA Gold. You can pay the difference in fare to ride in Business.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jenjen2606
Hi, I have an URGENT question. My AA miles will expire tomorrow and I bought some things through Advantage e-shopping. I cannot confirm that I have been credited miles for these purchases and as far as I can tell it will take weeks for them to come through. Will my mileage account be cleared tomorrow and then reinstated once the Advantage e-shopping miles are credited? I have found Advantage to be really unhelpful, unlike United who just gave me a mile! thanks in advance!
The eShopping miles will post with the date of your purchase. That should be enough to keep your miles alive. If it doesn't happen that way, call AA.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, ITA
Talking Receiving ExPlat benefits using someone else's miles

Hi All,

Searched high and low for an answer to this question, but couldn't find anything definitive.

I am planning a trip to Europe soon using my dad's miles and he is an AA ExPlat. Will I receive the same ExPlat benefits at the airport/onboard as he does because I am using miles from his account or will I be treated normally as an economy passenger? Also, I have AA Gold status if that makes any difference (I am guessing not). If I do receive any benefits, will they extend to other OneWorld carriers? Also, he is an Admirals Club member, will I be able to piggyback on access?

Any and all answers welcome!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 5:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by waveloch
Hi All,

Searched high and low for an answer to this question, but couldn't find anything definitive.

I am planning a trip to Europe soon using my dad's miles and he is an AA ExPlat. Will I receive the same ExPlat benefits at the airport/onboard as he does because I am using miles from his account or will I be treated normally as an economy passenger? Also, I have AA Gold status if that makes any difference (I am guessing not). If I do receive any benefits, will they extend to other OneWorld carriers? Also, he is an Admirals Club member, will I be able to piggyback on access?

Any and all answers welcome!
Welcome to FT!

You will be treated as a Gold member, not Executive Platinum. Treatment is based on passenger status, not the giver of the miles. LIkewise, you will not be able to access the Admiral's Club based on his membership.

You do receive benefits on other OneWorld carriers because of your Gold status, which is OneWorld Ruby:
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA, US
Just booked a first class seat via mileage on an Alaska flight through AA.com. The seating is left unassigned. Will I get a first class seat or am I just going to get bumped to an exit row or something?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by jys55
Just booked a first class seat via mileage on an Alaska flight through AA.com. The seating is left unassigned. Will I get a first class seat or am I just going to get bumped to an exit row or something?
You won't get downgraded to Y.

Call AA for a seat assignment.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:36 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by jys55
You will be seated in the First Class cabin. Call Alaska Airlines or American Airlines for a seat assignment.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:51 am

Does exit row / good seat on OW member (BA) or partner (Alaska) free for AA plat ?
Assume we should call the airline and AA can't book them ?

Separate question : I have a CDG-LHR-LAX-SEA, booked on AA.com and that involves AA, BA & Alaska, do I have a BA & Alaska "file number" ? Would like to change the assigned seats on line if possible.

Thank you
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:43 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Does exit row / good seat on OW member (BA) or partner (Alaska) free for AA plat ?
Assume we should call the airline and AA can't book them ?

Separate question : I have a CDG-LHR-LAX-SEA, booked on AA.com and that involves AA, BA & Alaska, do I have a BA & Alaska "file number" ? Would like to change the assigned seats on line if possible.

Thank you
Call AA and ask for the BA and AS record locators. With that information you will be able to visit the respective airlines and change your seats. As an AA Plat you will have access to "premium" seats in economy on AS. On BA you will need to pay for the seat assignment if done in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Some noob EXP questions and question about ticketing.

Referenced this: http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/d..._Mktg_Page.jsp

First: EXPs get free domestic upgrades...does an EXP have to purchase a Y or B fare like Plats and Golds to receive the upgrade or does even the cheapest discount economy fare qualify?

Second: EXP companion upgrades, AA says the companion must be on a Y or B fare to be eligible, or "If they purchased any other type of fare, he or she can still be upgraded with you, but we will deduct an upgrade from your account for every 500 miles of travel." I thought EXPs didn't get 500 mile upgrades/stickers?

Last: A friend is going to be flying home in a couple months for a visit, if I offered to buy the ticket would I receive the mileage from his flight if purchased through my account (I would not be accompanying him)? And if so, would said mileage count towards EQM/EQP or just RDM?

Thanks as always!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Pinned
First: EXPs get free domestic upgrades...does an EXP have to purchase a Y or B fare like Plats and Golds to receive the upgrade or does even the cheapest discount economy fare qualify?
Any published fare will do.

Second: EXP companion upgrades, AA says the companion must be on a Y or B fare to be eligible, or "If they purchased any other type of fare, he or she can still be upgraded with you, but we will deduct an upgrade from your account for every 500 miles of travel." I thought EXPs didn't get 500 mile upgrades/stickers?
You'll accrue upgrades as a Gold or Platinum that can be used as they don't expire. Once you're out of those you'll need to buy them. It's cheaper to buy them on-line than in-person at the counter.

Last: A friend is going to be flying home in a couple months for a visit, if I offered to buy the ticket would I receive the mileage from his flight if purchased through my account (I would not be accompanying him)?
You'll only get miles if you're the one doing the flying.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:29 pm

I have an award ticket booked through AA for LAX-NRT-BKK with a 1 hr 10 min connection in NRT. If I miss the connection in NRT, will AA rebook me on a flight of their choosing or am I screwed?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:20 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonz9238
I have an award ticket booked through AA for LAX-NRT-BKK with a 1 hr 10 min connection in NRT. If I miss the connection in NRT, will AA rebook me on a flight of their choosing or am I screwed?
Provided all the flights are on oneworld airlines (AA, JL, CX, MH in Asia) then you will be protected. If you are connecting to a NH or UA flight and the flights re booked on two different bookings then you will face more of a challenge to get from NRT to BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.