Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:49 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsak
I travelled thru Etihad airways from Tulsa to Bangalore on July 3rd 2013. My trip has change of flight at Chicago and Abudhabi. I provided my AA frequent flier # during reservation and it printed in my boarding pass too. But I see under my account, i got miles posted only from AUH to BLR and no miles posted from TUL to ORD and ORD to AUH. I have requested thru Request Credit section today.
My Wife travelled same flight on Apr 24th and the same situation. I requested Credit and nothing is posted yet.
Should i contact AA or Etihad on this?
You will need to contact AA to get the miles credited.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:22 am

AAward flight to BCN or MAD

This is my first time using miles so appreciate help booking my honeymoon.

I have 90k AA miles and no status. Looking to fly to MAD or BCN from OMA October 26-November 3/4 for a week. We are somewhat flexible on those dates, especially into November. Need 2 tickets. We really want to visit BCN but flight availability looks better flying to/from MAD.

I have a found a few combinations but am not sure which is more advantageous:

-Fly to MAD/home from BCN. Disadvantage: Would need to connect to TXL, spend the night in TXL and then fly home on Air Berlin/AA.

-Fly to/from MAD. Disadvantages: Spend extra $ and time on a train back to MAD after exploring BCN. Would need to spend the night at DFW (unless we can standby for an earlier flight) Could do it on 2 flights on AA (vs TXL/AirBerlin.)

-Fly to/from MAD but via JFK on a 757. Fiance is 6' 3" and I think a 767 would be more comfortable for him.

-We are on a tight budget so would like to avoid flying BA and paying their surcharges.

Do I make reservations for the best flights currently available and then try to change if something better opens up? Are fees involved with this? Or do I try and find an award on Iberia?

Would appreciate any thoughts or alternate ideas. Thank you!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:36 pm

Baggage transfer between airlines at JFK

I am flying from the UK (MAN Manchester) to JFK on AA, then transferring to Delta Airlines. I will have checked in online to the Delta flight and received a boarding pass.

I know I need to claim my luggage and go through customs, but can I then drop my bag at a transfer station in the AA terminal, or do I need to take my luggage to the Delta terminal and check in again?

Thanks! I searched the forum but did not find the exact answer I need.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:25 pm

Just received a new offer from AA I hadn't seen before... Buy 62000 miles for $1237.50 Seems like a better deal than I've ever seen in the past..

I'm about 60k shy of 2 first class south pacific tickets so i't pretty tempting..

What do the experts think?

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...NCODE=SoloINTL

Last edited by sl4ppy; Aug 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:20 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sl4ppy
Just received a new offer from AA I hadn't seen before... Buy 62000 miles for $1237.50 Seems like a better deal than I've ever seen in the past..

I'm about 60k shy of 2 first class south pacific tickets so i't pretty tempting..

What do the experts think?

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...NCODE=SoloINTL
That is 1.9 Cents Per Mile. A very good purchase rate if you ask me.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:44 pm

Hello everyone, I hope this is the right place to post and that this is a simple question.

I am trying to book a flight from AUS->DSM on 9/20 and returning 9/23. Outbound I want flights 383 and 2302. Returning I want 1235 and 1654. The problem is that I can't get AA.com to give me what I want.

The only option for the outbound trip on AA.com is a refundable ticket for $970. It is listed as W class. I don't want a refundable ticket. The ticket earlier this week was purchasable as non-refundable briefly but before that only had a refundable option. A number of other flights only have refundable options but deep discount fare codes and the planes aren't full.

I tried a number of non-AA.com sites and had a hard time getting them to show those flights but eventually got Travelocity to price my desired flights at $454.

Any ideas as to why AA.com only lists the outbound leg as refundable but I can book non-refundable through Travelocity? I'd call AA but I don't want to pay a booking fee.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by AusTXTraveler
Hello everyone, I hope this is the right place to post and that this is a simple question.

I am trying to book a flight from AUS->DSM on 9/20 and returning 9/23. Outbound I want flights 383 and 2302. Returning I want 1235 and 1654. The problem is that I can't get AA.com to give me what I want.

The only option for the outbound trip on AA.com is a refundable ticket for $970. It is listed as W class. I don't want a refundable ticket. The ticket earlier this week was purchasable as non-refundable briefly but before that only had a refundable option. A number of other flights only have refundable options but deep discount fare codes and the planes aren't full.

I tried a number of non-AA.com sites and had a hard time getting them to show those flights but eventually got Travelocity to price my desired flights at $454.

Any ideas as to why AA.com only lists the outbound leg as refundable but I can book non-refundable through Travelocity? I'd call AA but I don't want to pay a booking fee.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Welcome to FT! This one is quirky. You clearly did some good research and I think you ran into a complex stumper. All I can say is this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you book first class on the outbound for $735 (less than the refundable economy fare), you can book the return for -$140 in economy, bringing it to a total of $595. It's more than $454, but in the end a funny value. Maybe someone else with more experience than me can explain the funny pricing structure.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Check-in Upgrade -J to F?

Soon flying LAX to MIA on AA B777 3-class service. I’m booked on J and wonder if AA offers to pay for an last minute upgrade during check-in?

If so is there a standard fee for the same or does it depends on the paid fare? Appreciate your feedbacks
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:39 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Atlantico
Soon flying LAX to MIA on AA B777 3-class service. I’m booked on J and wonder if AA offers to pay for an last minute upgrade during check-in?

If so is there a standard fee for the same or does it depends on the paid fare? Appreciate your feedbacks
AA does offer Load Factor Based Upgrades, but they are only offered on the Kiosk or while completing OLCI.

If you search the AA Forum for "LFBU" you can read more about the program, including the current rates.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:47 pm

I travelled thru Etihad airways from Tulsa to Bangalore on July 3rd 2013. My trip has change of flight at Chicago and Abudhabi. I provided my AA frequent flier # during reservation and it printed in my boarding pass too. But I see under my account, i got miles posted only from AUH to BLR and no miles posted from TUL to ORD and ORD to AUH. I have requested thru Request Credit section today.
My Wife travelled same flight on Apr 24th and the same situation. I requested Credit and nothing is posted yet.
Should i contact AA or Etihad on this?
This is the update i got.
"We regret any confusion regarding earning AAdvantage miles for flights
on Etihad Airways. Under our current agreement, Etihad Airways operated
and marketed flights between Abu Dhabi (AUH) and United States /
Canadian cities are not eligible for mileage accrual. We are sorry to
disappoint you."

So is there any possible to get the miles if i open an etihad guest miles program now and use the travel info?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:23 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the update i got.
"We regret any confusion regarding earning AAdvantage miles for flights
on Etihad Airways. Under our current agreement, Etihad Airways operated
and marketed flights between Abu Dhabi (AUH) and United States /
Canadian cities are not eligible for mileage accrual. We are sorry to
disappoint you."

So is there any possible to get the miles if i open an etihad guest miles program now and use the travel info?
Were you booked on an AA code-share or Native EY Flight numbers?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:38 pm

Flight Numbers are EY numbers.
But TUL to ORD was EY number operated by American Airlines.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:39 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Greetings,

As a longtime lurker, I'm thrilled to be making my first post on FT.

I have an itinerary booked for September DCA-JFK-HKG and return in Y. The JFK-HKG sectors are booked on an AA flight number but, of course, operated by CX.

A couple questions I am hoping the gurus can help me with:

1. I want to make sure I'll receive full AA miles for this booking. My understanding is as it is booked on an AA flight number, I will receive full miles, is this correct? The CX flights are in code L per the AA booking page.

2. I am interested in perhaps paying for an upgrade to Cathay Premium Economy for the int'l sectors. Would I need to do this through AA? Do you know if this is even possible to do after the ticket has been booked through AA? Also, I would imagine I'd still receive full AA miles for this.

Thanks so much for any assistance and apologies in advance for the amateurish questions.

Best,
pH
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:24 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pH
Greetings,

As a longtime lurker, I'm thrilled to be making my first post on FT.

I have an itinerary booked for September DCA-JFK-HKG and return in Y. The JFK-HKG sectors are booked on an AA flight number but, of course, operated by CX.

A couple questions I am hoping the gurus can help me with:

1. I want to make sure I'll receive full AA miles for this booking. My understanding is as it is booked on an AA flight number, I will receive full miles, is this correct? The CX flights are in code L per the AA booking page.

2. I am interested in perhaps paying for an upgrade to Cathay Premium Economy for the int'l sectors. Would I need to do this through AA? Do you know if this is even possible to do after the ticket has been booked through AA? Also, I would imagine I'd still receive full AA miles for this.

Thanks so much for any assistance and apologies in advance for the amateurish questions.

Best,
pH
Since you have booked an AA coded flight that is operated by CX you will earn full miles and points as if you were flying AA metal. If you want to upfare to Premium Economy you will need to contact AA since they are the travel agent in this scenario. CX will not touch your ticket until the day of departure.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: nothing but freebies
Overnight/Interline baggage/Lounge question

OK, this happened since I tried to interweave award and revenue tickets..

1) BOS-DFW(12.5h overnight)-ICN : BOS-DFW is revenue and DFW-ICN award. all AA.

a) Can I thru check baggages to ICN or should I claim at DFW?
b) If baggages are thru-tagged, should I pay baggage fee?
b-1) If DFW-ICN is award J or F, is my chance of getting fee waiver better?
c) If DFW-ICN is award J or F, will BOS AC let me in?

2) ICN-ORD(OZ C award)-BOS(AA)

a) Can I thru check baggage to BOS, assuming OLCI ORD-BOS and have the boarding pass? - (Probably yes, I guess)
b) If I get a thru baggage tag to BOS, should I pay baggage fee when I re-check in @ ORD?

Thanks!
edta450

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.