Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes. If there is F availability on the long haul segment, I would confirm it now. If there is Y sAAver availability, you can take a voluntary downgrade. Then, if F availability opens up later (or on a different DFW-LAX flight), you may upgrade or switch for no fee. Changing the dates or routing without changing O/D will incur no fee.

If you are still in Y on that domestic segment on the day of the flight, you should be above Y>F upgraders on the airport list.
Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
There is no waitlisting so you will need to check periodically. AA.com displays AAdvantage awards for free. ExpertFlyer does as well and comes with the benefit of setting up notifications when inventory has been found.
Ok. I will look on aa.com for space opening up...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by SWFA
Originally Posted by HNL
There is no waitlisting so you will need to check periodically. AA.com displays AAdvantage awards for free. ExpertFlyer does as well and comes with the benefit of setting up notifications when inventory has been found.
Ok. I will look on aa.com for space opening up...
I don't know if this is of interest to you, but you can also have a free stopover (of one or more days) at LAX, since it is the North American "gateway" on your itinerary.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
At what time of the day do AA award tickets become available? I'm trying to snatch a sole seat on a partner airline that becomes available with AA on 3 August. The question for me is, when on 3 August? My researching suggests it might actually be 12pm Dallas time but I'm not sure and I really want to snatch up the award before someone else does.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:10 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
At what time of the day do AA award tickets become available? I'm trying to snatch a sole seat on a partner airline that becomes available with AA on 3 August. The question for me is, when on 3 August? My researching suggests it might actually be 12pm Dallas time but I'm not sure and I really want to snatch up the award before someone else does.
The window opens at midnight Dallas time, but the inventory may not be released exactly at that time. It can take a few minutes to hours to days to weeks to see award inventory released.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:35 am

My 116,000 miles expire in 7 days-

Hi thanks for being here! I did do a search on this topic... I am probably dense but I did not see a header with this subject.

So....I just got a courtesy call from American Airlines saying that my nearly 116,000 are about to expire in 7 days.

What would be the easiest, "cheapest", way to make activity in my account so that the expiration date will be renewed?

I do not need any flights right now.

What about a magazine subscription for 300 miles + $2? Will redeeming in this way renew expiration date?

Buying 1,000 miles for $29.95 + $35.00 fee seems ridiculous to me.

Or is there a "cheaper" better way to do this?

Thanks so much and sorry as I'm sure this is asked a million times.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
Hi thanks for being here! I did do a search on this topic... I am probably dense but I did not see a header with this subject.

So....I just got a courtesy call from American Airlines saying that my nearly 116,000 are about to expire in 7 days.

What would be the easiest, "cheapest", way to make activity in my account so that the expiration date will be renewed?

I do not need any flights right now.

What about a magazine subscription for 300 miles + $2? Will redeeming in this way renew expiration date?

Buying 1,000 miles for $29.95 + $35.00 fee seems ridiculous to me.

Or is there a "cheaper" better way to do this?

Thanks so much and sorry as I'm sure this is asked a million times.
See this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

ANY activity extends the expiration date of your miles, earning or redemption. Dining rewards, magazine subscription, donation, anything.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:40 am

Hello! First time poster in here.

I have been 'hoarding' AA points since the TWA days, and recently, like an idiot, let 95k points expire at the end of May. My daughter was getting married, yada yada, and I just forgot to buy some miles to keep them activated.

Any advice to get them back? According to the AA website I could spend around $600 to get them back, but I'm not sure that's worth it. I did stay in some partner hotels in May and June, but they won't book points after 30 days.

Am I toast?

Thanks in advance,

Cheese
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:54 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AgentCheese
Hello! First time poster in here.

I have been 'hoarding' AA points since the TWA days, and recently, like an idiot, let 95k points expire at the end of May. My daughter was getting married, yada yada, and I just forgot to buy some miles to keep them activated.

Any advice to get them back? According to the AA website I could spend around $600 to get them back, but I'm not sure that's worth it. I did stay in some partner hotels in May and June, but they won't book points after 30 days.

Am I toast?

Thanks in advance,

Cheese
You can complete the reengagment challenge. Learn morea bout it in the AAdvantage Wiki
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ment_Challenge
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by HNL
You can complete the reengagment challenge. Learn morea bout it in the AAdvantage Wiki
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ment_Challenge
Is that still an active program? I looked all over the AA site and couldn't find anything out about it. Is the only requirement is that I complete the listed items within a year of losing my points?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:19 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that still an active program? I looked all over the AA site and couldn't find anything out about it. Is the only requirement is that I complete the listed items within a year of losing my points?

Thanks for the quick reply!
This is an unpublished program. Call AAdvantage Customer Service and ask if there is anything that can be done to get back your lost miles. If they don't mention it, then mention that you have heard about a Reengagement Challenge.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:44 am

HNL,

Awesome. I called up as you recommended and they sent me the paperwork. The requirements are a bit different from the link you posted. Here's the scoop:

To reinstate your expired miles, you have to spend $30 to register with the Re-engagement challenge, then you have 6 months to the complete the following requirements:

Up to 50,000 miles: 1. Earn 5,000 partner base miles OR 2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight.
50,001-75,000 miles: 1. Earn 7,000 partner base miles AND 2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight
75,001 and up: 1. Earn 10,000 partner base miles AND Earn miles for 2 round trip flights

It doesn't say there is a 750 mile limit on the flights.

You can start the challenge at any time (as long as the program is still in place. It's been there since 2002 - I asked). Your expired points don't 'expire'...LOL.

Also, any miles you get for Citi cards don't count towards the miles or partner points.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:58 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HNL,

Awesome. I called up as you recommended and they sent me the paperwork. The requirements are a bit different from the link you posted. Here's the scoop:

To reinstate your expired miles, you have to spend $30 to register with the Re-engagement challenge, then you have 6 months to the complete the following requirements:

Up to 50,000 miles: 1. Earn 5,000 partner base miles OR 2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight.
50,001-75,000 miles: 1. Earn 7,000 partner base miles AND 2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight
75,001 and up: 1. Earn 10,000 partner base miles AND Earn miles for 2 round trip flights

It doesn't say there is a 750 mile limit on the flights.

You can start the challenge at any time (as long as the program is still in place. It's been there since 2002 - I asked). Your expired points don't 'expire'...LOL.

Also, any miles you get for Citi cards don't count towards the miles or partner points.

Thanks for your help!
Thanks for updating us on the current reengagment rules.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:30 pm

Question

Hi everyone!
A week ago I booked the following itinerary on aa: SEA-LAX-DFW-LGA-YUL.

SEA-LAX is operated by AS on Sept. 4th.
When I selected my flights, I was able to pick both LAX-DFW and DFW-LGA segments on flight AA700, Sept 5th, hoping that I wouldn't have to get off the plane in DFW during my night across the country.
But, when I checked today my booking on AA.com, the flight numbers are changed. I'm now booked on AA2400 LAX-DFW and AA1100 DFW-LGA.

What happened to AA700 LAX-DFW-LGA ?

I was also wondering: when connecting in LAX from AS T6 to AA T4, do I go through security when using the shuttle bus leaving from gate 65A?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Hi everyone!
A week ago I booked the following itinerary on aa: SEA-LAX-DFW-LGA-YUL.

When I selected my flights, I was able to pick both LAX-DFW and DFW-LGA segments on flight AA700, Sept 5th, hoping that I wouldn't have to get off the plane in DFW during my night across the country.
But, when I checked today my booking on AA.com, the flight numbers are changed. I'm now booked on AA2400 LAX-DFW and AA1100 DFW-LGA.

What happened to AA700 LAX-DFW-LGA ?
This is what is known as a "through" or "direct" flight. Two segments have the same number, but it's two flights. More often than not, IME, these are different aircraft at different gates, despite the same number. As a result, nothing will really have changed from a logistics standpoint.

You'll also earn more miles now as you'll get the miles for each segment, instead of just LAX-LGA.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.