Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:24 pm

First of all, I am new on this board (but have been on a few other travel discussion boards.)
Just tried to book two multi-city AA award tickets.
Outbound BOS-> CDG on 4/23/2014 and
inbound BCN -> BOS on 5/10/2014.
The flight choices for for us at saver 40,000 miles/rt/pp level all route through LHR, and costs an additional USD$660/pp for taxes. The tax alone is more than 50% of an airfare if I were to purchase a ticket out of pocket. Is this a trap?
To travel to Europe on saver AA miles how do you avoid being routed through LHR in order to avoid paying enormous airport taxes?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Keep in mind that being GLD does not change the fact that you need 50K EQP/EQM to make PLT. (So if you got 10K EQP/EQM after your challenge, you still need 40K more for PLT, not 25K)
I'm not sure what you mean by challenge??? I did not enter any type of contest (that I know of).

I am going off what I'm seeing below in my account online.

Are you saying that I will have to have a total of 75,000 EQP/EQM to hit Platinum this year???
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It's not about Heathrow, nor about airport taxes. Let me guess: the awards are on BA, right? You will find BA charges like a wounded ox in what we know as "YQ" fees. Select another airline (you may have to use other search tools as aa.com will not reveal all awards on all partner airlines) for a much better deal.

Use Advanced Search, thread titles only, result in threads searching for the keyword "yq" (with quotes, etc.) and you will see the problem.

Originally Posted by Two2Travel
First of all, I am new on this board (but have been on a few other travel discussion boards.)
Just tried to book two multi-city AA award tickets.
Outbound BOS-> CDG on 4/23/2014 and
inbound BCN -> BOS on 5/10/2014.
The flight choices for for us at saver 40,000 miles/rt/pp level all route through LHR, and costs an additional USD$660/pp for taxes. The tax alone is more than 50% of an airfare if I were to purchase a ticket out of pocket. Is this a trap?
To travel to Europe on saver AA miles how do you avoid being routed through LHR in order to avoid paying enormous airport taxes?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:55 pm

No; the assumption was made you had earned status via a Challenge, a shortcut to status AA offers some.

Status earned normally is not with zero resets (I believe BAEC offers this), so you will have to earn 50k EQ miles OR 50k EQ points OR fly 60 segments during the 2013 calendar year.

But the bonus miles are REDEEMABLE, not elite qualifying, miles. The only way you can make it shorter is to fly B, Y or higher class fares, in which case you will earn 1.5 EQ Points per Base / flown / EQ Mile. So: you could earn Platinum this year by flying as few 16,683 miles in B, Y or in higher fare classes, which earn more Points.

Originally Posted by 0335th
I'm not sure what you mean by challenge??? I did not enter any type of contest (that I know of).

I am going off what I'm seeing below in my account online.

<deleted images>

Are you saying that I will have to have a total of 75,000 EQP/EQM to hit Platinum this year???
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

High taxes through LHR

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It's not about Heathrow, nor about airport taxes. Let me guess: the awards are on BA, right? You will find BA charges like a wounded ox in what we know as "YQ" fees. Select another airline (you may have to use other search tools as aa.com will not reveal all awards on all partner airlines) for a much better deal.

Use Advanced Search, thread titles only, result in threads searching for the keyword "yq" (with quotes, etc.) and you will see the problem.
No, my FF miles are American Airline miles. But when I searched AA.com for award flights BOS -> Paris on 4/23/2014, the available flights are all on BA. Same with the return BCN->BOS award flights on 5/10/2014.

Last edited by Two2Travel; Jul 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reason: make it more precise
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:21 pm

Thanks,

I thought for a minute there I was going to have to jump ship to Delta and hear the "I told you so" remarks out of all my coworkers that fly Delta.

Another quick question.

Does American Airlines rollover your EQP/EQM that do not take you to the next status level like Delta does?

For example:
If I finish out 2013 with 65,000 EQP/EQM. Do I start 2014 with 15,000 EQP/EQM?

No; the assumption was made you had earned status via a Challenge, a shortcut to status AA offers some.

Status earned normally is not with zero resets (I believe BAEC offers this), so you will have to earn 50k EQ miles OR 50k EQ points OR fly 60 segments during the 2013 calendar year.

But the bonus miles are REDEEMABLE, not elite qualifying, miles. The only way you can make it shorter is to fly B, Y or higher class fares, in which case you will earn 1.5 EQ Points per Base / flown / EQ Mile. So: you could earn Platinum this year by flying as few 16,683 miles in B, Y or in higher fare classes, which earn more Points.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:46 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Thanks,

I thought for a minute there I was going to have to jump ship to Delta and hear the "I told you so" remarks out of all my coworkers that fly Delta.

Another quick question.

Does American Airlines rollover your EQP/EQM that do not take you to the next status level like Delta does?

For example:

No rollover in AAdvantage, thankfully!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Why would/is rollover a bad thing?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Two2Travel
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

No, my FF miles are American Airline miles. But when I searched AA.com for award flights BOS -> Paris on 4/23/2014, the available flights are all on BA. Same with the return BCN->BOS award flights on 5/10/2014.
Redeeming AA miles for long-haul travel on BA incurs hefty fees. Call AA and ask about routing via IB to/from ORY (IB does not serve CDG). IB award flights do not show on aa.com.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:13 pm

High taxes/fees through LHR

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Redeeming AA miles for long-haul travel on BA incurs hefty fees. Call AA and ask about routing via IB to/from ORY (IB does not serve CDG). IB award flights do not show on aa.com.
Thanks, I'll give your suggestion a try.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:15 pm

No rollover, but check the thread about ELTA3 Cumulative rewards, which shows you may get some nice bonuses when you do not complete a status level but earn beyond. (You must register... and the link is to be found in the wikipost.)

Thanks,

Another quick question.

For example:
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:44 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by HNL
Why would/is rollover a bad thing?
It artificially inflates the number of elites.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:56 pm

No rollover, but check the thread about ELTA3 Cumulative rewards, which shows you may get some nice bonuses when you do not complete a status level but earn beyond. (You must register... and the link is to be found in the wikipost.)
Thanks!

Originally Posted by HNL

It artificially inflates the number of elites.
Ok, I can see how that would or does happen.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:58 am

Booked 3 flights on AA using Avios. I got the record locator from AA and added it to my AA account. However it shows the status as unknown. Also it does not allow me to fill in the passenger details. Is this expected when you book a flight using Avios? How do I fill in my details?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: LH HON
Hi,

AA.com is driving me crazy. I have booked several flights for a trip in October 2013. The bookings were done by a travel agency based in Germany back in March 2013.

Since then I am trying to access my reserveration in order to change my seating, but I am unable to do so because of an annoying bug(?) in AA's booking procedure.

It seems that neither aa.de nor aa.com is able to show up my reserveration due the fact that a travel agency is involved. I am getting the same error over and over again:

We are experiencing technical difficulties and are unable to display your reservation at this time. Please try again.

I have tried to call American Airlines German hotline which refered to the Record Locator / Sabre Code (which I already had), unfortunately thats it - they don't have any idea and suggested me to call the US hotline instead. So I did.

US Hotline was also not able to look into my reserveration because of the same error (hooray). They said they cannot do anything and I should call the German hotline instead.

So here I am, almost 5 months passed since the booking was done not able to get into my reserveration getting send from hotline A to B and vice versa.

I also attempted to get help via twitter, but as expected they don't have any clue.

SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THIS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.