Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:34 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by standingoten
Ok I don't know if I am allowed to ask this here but...

I tried to book flights to get 25k EQP for the EXPLAT challenge and am having issues. Is there a paid service anywhere that will just find the routes for me for a fee? I want to spend less than $1500 total to get the 25k EQP.

Is there a web site or service that charges a not too hefty fee to find the routings for me and is guaranteed?
You can try Brett over at http://crankyconcierge.com/
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Using my AA miles

I know you can use AA miles on many "partner" airlines but how do you find out if there are seats avaialble on those airlines? And how do I find out how many miles it will take to book on XYZ airline?

I don't suppose there is a prime somewhere that goes through the steps of redeeming AA miles on "partner" airlines is there?

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by pkerr
I know you can use AA miles on many "partner" airlines but how do you find out if there are seats avaialble on those airlines? And how do I find out how many miles it will take to book on XYZ airline?

I don't suppose there is a prime somewhere that goes through the steps of redeeming AA miles on "partner" airlines is there?

Thanks
AA's Partner award chart shows the cost of one-way awards on partner carriers:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp

The aa.com website allows for award booking on some, but not all, AA partners. For partners not supported by aa.com, you can:

1) call AA and ask;

2) use another airline's website to search for award space on a common partner; or

3) use a private online service like Expert Flyer, Award Nexus, etc., to check award-seat availability.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:35 pm

I have a trip to Japan in January 2014. Can I get a AAdvantage card, get the 40k signup bonus, convert to Cathay Pacific and then redeem them? I heard some people say that you need to book 6 months in advance...

Do you have any general advice for getting my flight to Japan (TYO)? I'll be flying from LAX
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: EXP
I'm flying LHR-DFW-SFO on a B fare next weekend, both segments are full fare B. I'm already on the outbound leg which was on a H fare. With my B return fare, can I switch to LHR-DFW-SMF for free assuming a B fare is still available on the DFW-SMF leg?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by JAWE
I have a trip to Japan in January 2014. Can I get a AAdvantage card, get the 40k signup bonus, convert to Cathay Pacific and then redeem them? I heard some people say that you need to book 6 months in advance...

Do you have any general advice for getting my flight to Japan (TYO)? I'll be flying from LAX
AA does not permit you to transit a third zone on a one-way award from North America to Asia 1. If you want to fly on CX, you would have to transit Asia 2 (HKG), which would require two separate awards.

And while AAdvantage miles can be redeemed for travel on CX (at AA's redemption rates), AAdvantage miles cannot be converted to CX miles (at least, not without substantial depreciation).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

AA does not permit you to transit a third zone on a one-way award from North America to Asia 1. If you want to fly on CX, you would have to transit Asia 2 (HKG), which would require two separate awards.

And while AAdvantage miles can be redeemed for travel on CX (at AA's redemption rates), AAdvantage miles cannot be converted to CX miles (at least, not without substantial depreciation).
Actually I just went to AAdvantage rewards and tried to book a flight to test it out, and American Airlines services Tokyo. I guess I wouldn't need to convert to any other airlines then. Do I still have to deal with zones? It says off-peak my flight should be 50,000 points round trip up until the final steps...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAWE
Originally Posted by guv1976

Actually I just went to AAdvantage rewards and tried to book a flight to test it out, and American Airlines services Tokyo. I guess I wouldn't need to convert to any other airlines then. Do I still have to deal with zones? It says off-peak my flight should be 50,000 points round trip up until the final steps...
Yes, both AA and JL fly nonstop between LAX and TYO. (I think one serves HND, and the other serves NRT.) You can book award travel on AA at aa.com; if you prefer to fly on JL, you would have to call AA to do so, and pay a $25 telephone-ticketing fee. But the number of miles required is the same for both carriers, as long as "SAAver" seats are available. (Again, there's no "coversion" of miles involved.)

And don't forget about the free North American "gateway" stopover option on your return: for the price of a TYO-LAX award ticket, you can stop over at LAX for weeks or months, and then continue on to another North American destination (one way) for no additional mileage!

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I booked a flight on AA which was canceled due to weather/air control issues. I was rebooked on a United flight the same day. I still haven't received AA miles and flight was last Wednesday. Who owes me the miles AA or United?
Originally Posted by brp
To start with, no one actually owes you AA miles. You can certainly get UA miles from United if you are part of their program. If you want AA miles, you can contact AA about this and ask for Original Routing Credit. Be aware that nothing is owed, and they may say yes or no. Had it been a mechanical issue, the likelihood would have been pretty good. With weather, it is less so (since it is not their "fault") but is still possible. Nothing will happen, though, unless you contact AA.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by brp
To start with, no one actually owes you AA miles. You can certainly get UA miles from United if you are part of their program. If you want AA miles, you can contact AA about this and ask for Original Routing Credit. Be aware that nothing is owed, and they may say yes or no. Had it been a mechanical issue, the likelihood would have been pretty good. With weather, it is less so (since it is not their "fault") but is still possible. Nothing will happen, though, unless you contact AA.

Cheers.
I see thank you. Is there a time limit or frame for contacting them or can I take care of it when I return from my trip next month?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:54 pm

I have a flight in September that has dropped $160 since I booked it. I figure a change fee will make it not worth messing with but I can't find where it tells how much the fee is. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA Novice
I have a flight in September that has dropped $160 since I booked it. I figure a change fee will make it not worth messing with but I can't find where it tells how much the fee is. Thanks for the help.
Open your booking on aa.com. Below the flights, in the same row as the price there is a link for "View Fare Rules" the change fee will be in there. If for some reason you are unable to get aa.com to load the associated fares rules call AA in order to get the change fee associated with your ticket.

When did you purchase your ticket? A few months ago the change fee was raised from $150 to $200 for domestic trips.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Open your booking on aa.com. Below the flights, in the same row as the price there is a link for "View Fare Rules" the change fee will be in there. If for some reason you are unable to get aa.com to load the associated fares rules call AA in order to get the change fee associated with your ticket.

When did you purchase your ticket? A few months ago the change fee was raised from $150 to $200 for domestic trips.
Back in January. I figured the change fee would eat the difference in price.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:24 pm

I got 2 conflicting answers from 2 different reps a American Airlines.

I purchased a "non-refundable" ticket on 8/6/2012 last year for Travel on 9/4/2012.
Plans changed and I could not use that ticket.

Can I use the funds (-$150 change fee) for travel on 8/29/2013 as long as I purchase ticket by 8/6/2013? Or must I depart on or before 8/6/2013 for the funds to be applicable?

The first agent said I just have to make the purchase by 8/6. The second agent said that I must travel by 8/6.

Last edited by blahblehblah; Jul 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
A while back, I think the policy was TRAVEL needed to start 12 months after SOME day (ticketing? first flight? day of cancellation? I am not sure).

Instead of asking, I'd simply work with the best AAgent you can find to buy the tickets. You may get shot down, but at least as an Executive Platinum flyer, I can tell you the best agents (those that work EXPs full time) have leeway in implementing this policy.

So things may have changed. But I'd just go about DOING it with an agent, and let them shoot you down along the way if policy requires, rather than letting them tell you "no" before starting.

Shoot - I even got Customer Service to "renew" me by an extra year once, just by being polite, getting them to work through my issue with me, and asking "then how can/should I do it?"

That is AA for you! More flexible than many.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:32 pm

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to where I can find C class availability on a flight to use a SWU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.