Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:11 am

Programs: American, Southwest, United
Points and Miles Credit Question if placed on a different airline

Had a question regarding miles and legs related to being rerouted on a different airline from American. I am currently Exec Platinum and am flying Business class with the family. We were supposed to come back today from Rome (FCO) to Austin (AUS) via NY (JFK). Due to a 4 hour delay, we would have missed our connection to Austin. The woman who checked us in booked us on another flight via U.S. Airways through Philadelphia so we can still get home on the same day. Do I need to contact AA EP Service desk to request miles and legs credit via American? I was counting on the miles to ensure I was on track for EP this year. I believe the miles would be 4,271 to NY and another 1,500 to Austin.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by pbshaffer
Had a question regarding miles and legs related to being rerouted on a different airline from American. I am currently Exec Platinum and am flying Business class with the family. We were supposed to come back today from Rome (FCO) to Austin (AUS) via NY (JFK). Due to a 4 hour delay, we would have missed our connection to Austin. The woman who checked us in booked us on another flight via U.S. Airways through Philadelphia so we can still get home on the same day. Do I need to contact AA EP Service desk to request miles and legs credit via American? I was counting on the miles to ensure I was on track for EP this year. I believe the miles would be 4,271 to NY and another 1,500 to Austin.
Generally, requests for original routing credit after involuntary reroutes are granted by American. Give them a call or email and explain what happened. More info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11822069-post65.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:48 am

Hello, I complained to AA because my Mom's flight was delayed 2-3 hours (international (Dallas to ICN)) and another 2-3 hours (domestic (Dallas to ORD)) on her way back home. I emailed AA and they gave me a $100 eVoucher. I spent around 1700 for her plane ticket so should I ask for more? Or should i just take what I got? Also, is mileage points better than eVoucher if I ask for it?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Armoredx
Hello, I complained to AA because my Mom's flight was delayed 2-3 hours (international (Dallas to ICN)) and another 2-3 hours (domestic (Dallas to ORD)) on her way back home. I emailed AA and they gave me a $100 eVoucher. I spent around 1700 for her plane ticket so should I ask for more? Or should i just take what I got? Also, is mileage points better than eVoucher if I ask for it?
The delay could've been much worse...I'd probably just take it. Do you know the reason for the delay? If it was AA's fault (maintenance, etc.) then maybe AA will offer more if you ask.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
The delay could've been much worse...I'd probably just take it. Do you know the reason for the delay? If it was AA's fault (maintenance, etc.) then maybe AA will offer more if you ask.
They said it was a mechanical maintenance (They said it in the email). How would you approach them via email to ask for more? I can't do it over the phone since Im still in South Korea.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:33 pm

I am new to the whole frequent flyer thing and I'm looking for help. I put a lot of miles from a trans-Pacific flight onto USAir because I thought I was going to be able to use the miles for a repeat Star Alliance flight. Now I realize that these miles are going to turn into AA miles. I had heard that I might be able to use them on Cathay Pacific, but I searched around to see what kinds of flights I could get using AA miles and got no options. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have advice for me?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:38 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LucyP
I am new to the whole frequent flyer thing and I'm looking for help. I put a lot of miles from a trans-Pacific flight onto USAir because I thought I was going to be able to use the miles for a repeat Star Alliance flight. Now I realize that these miles are going to turn into AA miles. I had heard that I might be able to use them on Cathay Pacific, but I searched around to see what kinds of flights I could get using AA miles and got no options. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have advice for me?
The Partner (Cathay Pacific is one) Award chart can be found at aa.com AAdvantage > Redeem Miles > " oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart"
or my following this link:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...rtnerChart.jsp

CX Premium Cabin rewards are a great use of AA miles.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LucyP
Do you mean that you searched on AA.com to see what award flights are bookable on Cathay Pacific to Asia? If that was the question, the answer is that only a limited number of airlines (AA/AB/AS/BA/AY/HA/QF) may be booked on AA's website. If you are trying to book Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), or Malaysia Airlines (MH) to Asia, you need to call AA to actually book these award flights. You can check availability of all awards on websites like British Airways, or Award Nexus. They are generally very reliability on showing oneworld airlines award seat availability that is bookable on AA.

I will also add that CX First/Business awards are a great use of AA miles!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:42 am

Booked BOS-JFK-HKG-YVR-JFK-BOS via AA.com and booking code "V".

The flights are all Cathay Pacific though. I called the help desk and the woman on the phone said I will not be getting 1.0 EQP (point) for every EQM (mile) because it is not AA operated?

Is this true?!

Dates are Aug 28-Sept 2
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:09 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
You will earn miles/points based on the flight numbers. If they are AA flight numbers, you will earn based on the AA chart, regardless of who operates the flight. https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp

Same thing for Cathay...if your flights are Cathay flight numbers, you will earn based on the Cathay chart, regardless of who operates the flights: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

(If you are indeed booked in V and on Cathay flight numbers, you will earn no miles/points for your flights. If you're on AA codeshare flight numbers for the Cathay segments, then you'll be fine.)

If you want to be absolutely certain, then please post your exact itinerary with flight numbers. (Dates are irrelevant.)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
You will earn miles/points based on the flight numbers. If they are AA flight numbers, you will earn based on the AA chart, regardless of who operates the flight. https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp

Same thing for Cathay...if your flights are Cathay flight numbers, you will earn based on the Cathay chart, regardless of who operates the flights: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

(If you are indeed booked in V and on Cathay flight numbers, you will earn no miles/points for your flights. If you're on AA codeshare flight numbers for the Cathay segments, then you'll be fine.)

If you want to be absolutely certain, then please post your exact itinerary with flight numbers. (Dates are irrelevant.)
Here is the exact itinerary from ITA.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:27 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Unfortunately, as all your flights are marketed by CX (that is, all CX flight numbers), you'll be earning based on the Cathay chart. (Unfortunately, that means you will be earning zero AAdvantage redeemable miles and zero elite qualifying miles/points/segments.)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD
Any issues getting off the plane internationally just to get right back on?

I put a hold on an October weekend itinerary (SFO->DFW->LIM->DFW->SFO) as part of a plan to get to EXP for the first time by the end of 2013.

The DFW->LIM leg (AA987) arrives Sunday at 12:05AM and then the LIM->DFW flight (AA988) departs an hour and a half later at 1:35AM the same morning.

I'm thinking about it as a weekend in Dallas where instead of staying in a hotel Saturday night I'd be on a plane to and from Peru earning EQM (I can visit Lima properly once I make it to EXP).

Based on the time and flight numbers though, I'm guessing this will be the same plane and flight crew. Before I book this itinerary, are there any issues about this sort of off-the-plane-right-back-on travel that I should be aware of? At the very least, will the flight crew be totally freaked out to see me flying DFW to LIM just to turn right around and fly back?

( I will not be checking a bag, carry-on only)

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:42 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahoya55
I put a hold on an October weekend itinerary (SFO->DFW->LIM->DFW->SFO) as part of a plan to get to EXP for the first time by the end of 2013.

The DFW->LIM leg (AA987) arrives Sunday at 12:05AM and then the LIM->DFW flight (AA988) departs an hour and a half later at 1:35AM the same morning.

I'm thinking about it as a weekend in Dallas where instead of staying in a hotel Saturday night I'd be on a plane to and from Peru earning EQM (I can visit Lima properly once I make it to EXP).

Based on the time and flight numbers though, I'm guessing this will be the same plane and flight crew. Before I book this itinerary, are there any issues about this sort of off-the-plane-right-back-on travel that I should be aware of? At the very least, will the flight crew be totally freaked out to see me flying DFW to LIM just to turn right around and fly back?

( I will not be checking a bag, carry-on only)

Thanks in advance!
Will the crew be freaked out? No.

The potential challenge you may face is how the Lima transfer process works. Are arriving and departing passengers co-mingled? (This is the best scenario for you) Are arriving passengers forced into a transit security before proceeding to departures? Are arriving passengers forced to clear immigration and customs? Can you check-in for the LIM-DFW segment before the cutoff? These are the questions that you need to consider.

I *think* Lima segregates arriving and departing passengers, but those in transit need to clear transit security. You'll want to verify that before purchase. You will also want to research if AA staffs a transit desk so you can obtain your BP if for some reason you can't OLCI.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by incognitoMD
Do you mean that you searched on AA.com to see what award flights are bookable on Cathay Pacific to Asia? If that was the question, the answer is that only a limited number of airlines (AA/AB/AS/BA/AY/HA/QF) may be booked on AA's website. If you are trying to book Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), or Malaysia Airlines (MH) to Asia, you need to call AA to actually book these award flights. You can check availability of all awards on websites like British Airways, or Award Nexus. They are generally very reliability on showing oneworld airlines award seat availability that is bookable on AA.

I will also add that CX First/Business awards are a great use of AA miles!
Thank you. That's exactly the information I was looking for. I don't have the miles yet; I wanted to search around and see what kind of itinerary was available using miles.

We are trying to get to Vietnam, ideally business class for the trans-Pacific leg of the journey. I gather that I need to put in each leg separately to get a sense of the total miles needed?

BTW, ITA flightsearch, usually where I go to for general flight information, doesn't seem to show itineraries to Vietnam using Cathay Pacific, although it's clear that those exist if you search on the Cathay Pacific site. Does anyone know why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.