Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by standingoten
Is availability the only restriction? I want to do some BOS-ANC runs and would love to get 1.0 points per mile!
Yup. If you can book the flight in a deep discount coach bucket on aa.com (one that earns 0.5 EQP/mile), a higher bucket that earns 1.0 EQP will certainly also be available. I was talking more in general in my previous post; availability will almost never be an issue if you are trying to upfare a held reservation.

V is the lowest fare that earns 1.0 EQP/mile.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by franzpalleres
ok thank you, i didnt know that it was for each way!

is there any way to calculate the fees and taxes, since i want to know if its worth it, before buying the miles and transfer the ones, do you know what i mean?
Try pricing out your itinerary on ITA Matrix. It will show you the tax breakdown.

You mentioned BA in your previous post...keep in mind that BA charges extremely high "fuel surcharges", which are directly proportional to the length of the segment. So avoid flying the TATL segment on BA metal.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yup. If you can book the flight in a deep discount coach bucket on aa.com (one that earns 0.5 EQP/mile), a higher bucket that earns 1.0 EQP will certainly also be available. I was talking more in general in my previous post; availability will almost never be an issue if you are trying to upfare a held reservation.

V is the lowest fare that earns 1.0 EQP/mile.
On my BOS-DFW-ANC route, the DFW-ANC is Alaskan Airlines. Is it possible to go up to V from Q on this specific route?

I just called to have my "Q" booking code flights changed to "V" and they first asked if I was a travel agent?! Huh?!

Then I said no. I am just a traveler.

My flight costs $342. They said if they change it to "V", I will pay $750?! So there is a change in price for changing the booking code?

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:23 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
My flight costs $342. They said if they change it to "V", I will pay $750?! So there is a change in price for changing the booking code?
Yes. Different booking codes have different restrictions and offer different benefits. "Higher" booking codes have shorter advance booking windows and, in this case, offer more EQP. Hence, there is a difference in price. Getting more costs more. In some cases, they will even try to charge the change fee for an upfare like this, but it appears that this is just the fare difference for the higher code.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
It is not possible to directly combine your BA Avios Account with your AAdvantage Account. You can redeem your Avios points for AA operated flights, among many other partner airlines. Contact BA or BA.com to redeem.

Additionally you can redeem your AAdvantage miles for BA operated flights, among many other partners. Contact AA or aa.com to redeem.
Thanks! Kind of what I thought. I did just book a r/t European flight operated by BA/American. It shows up as BA on the way out and American on the way back. I gave my AA number which will probably get credited on the leg back and I'll have to remember to give BA my BA number when we're at SFO.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:58 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryDarc
Thanks! Kind of what I thought. I did just book a r/t European flight operated by BA/American. It shows up as BA on the way out and American on the way back. I gave my AA number which will probably get credited on the leg back and I'll have to remember to give BA my BA number when we're at SFO.
Since AA and BA are close partners, you can choose to credit any BA or AA flight to AAdvantage or any BA or AA flight to BA Avios. You do not need to credit the miles to the program of the carrier you are flying.

Of course this all comes with the caveat that you do not earn miles on award flights.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Yes. Different booking codes have different restrictions and offer different benefits. "Higher" booking codes have shorter advance booking windows and, in this case, offer more EQP. Hence, there is a difference in price. Getting more costs more. In some cases, they will even try to charge the change fee for an upfare like this, but it appears that this is just the fare difference for the higher code
Recently, I discovered that I had one of my AA flights (ICN - DFW - DCA - DFW - ICN) booked in N fare class. When I called to change the one N to V class, I was charged about $200 more for the fare class, but there was added a change fee, even though my other flights were already in V. When I asked (as a EXP) why the change fee, I was told that the ticketing had been done more than 24 hours prior, hence the fee. So, if you plan on up-faring, do so quickly.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by relangford
Recently, I discovered that I had one of my AA flights (ICN - DFW - DCA - DFW - ICN) booked in N fare class. When I called to change the one N to V class, I was charged about $200 more for the fare class, but there was added a change fee, even though my other flights were already in V. When I asked (as a EXP) why the change fee, I was told that the ticketing had been done more than 24 hours prior, hence the fee. So, if you plan on up-faring, do so quickly.
Indeed. It's an odd rule that they make you pay a fee so you can pay more for your ticket, but it is how the change fee works. The usual way to do this is to upfare while the ticket is on hold, then purchasing online, thus avoiding any change fee and phone ticketing fee.

On my BOS-DFW-ANC route, the DFW-ANC is Alaskan Airlines. Is it possible to go up to V from Q on this specific route?

I just called to have my "Q" booking code flights changed to "V" and they first asked if I was a travel agent?! Huh?!

Then I said no. I am just a traveler.

You don't seem to understand fare classes very well. Do a Google search for "fare buckets" or "fare inventories", and you'll understand it a bit better. Maybe try this page for starters.
http://hackmytrip.com/2012/02/unders...ine-inventory/

Basically, different booking codes represent different fares (which have different restrictions and benefits, as brp mentioned upthread), and inventory is controlled by the elusive Revenue Management department.

Also, you can use ITA Matrix to force certain booking classes, and compare fares for only certain buckets (and also to see the price before calling AA).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Ok this is a dumb question I'm sure, but as a BA silver if I fly AA TATL to LHR is there a chance of being upgraded from y to j? I'm not sure what AA's policy of upgrading is for partner airlines. I've flown AA enough being from DFW but I've never bothered asking for an upgrade. I'm assuming the answer is you get what you pay for unless you're with AAdvantage.

Normally I fly BA TATL and upgrade but seems this year is looking thin around turkey day. Side note I'm trying to go to BRU or AMS so LHR isn't a stopping point anymore thanks to the taxes & fees...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:47 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
Ok this is a dumb question I'm sure, but as a BA silver if I fly AA TATL to LHR is there a chance of being upgraded from y to j? I'm not sure what AA's policy of upgrading is for partner airlines. I've flown AA enough being from DFW but I've never bothered asking for an upgrade. I'm assuming the answer is you get what you pay for unless you're with AAdvantage.

Normally I fly BA TATL and upgrade but seems this year is looking thin around turkey day. Side note I'm trying to go to BRU or AMS so LHR isn't a stopping point anymore thanks to the taxes & fees...
You can use BA Points to upgrade AA flights on select fares (i.e. the expensive ones). You can also use use AA miles for the Miles+Co-pay upgrade.

If you are looking for an operational upgrade, I think you'd fall in line after the AA Platinum's, which are a dime a dozen.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:19 pm

Hello, I searched on the vouchers thread but didn't find the answer I needed.

I booked a flight and was not able to take it. AA says I have a credit for $2782.76.

I would like to use this credit so my husband can accompany me on an upcoming business trip, but I understand they cannot change the name on the ticket. However, if I book a flight that doesn't use the full amount, they will give me a voucher for the difference (minus $200 or $275 change fee and the cost of the new flight I book).

If I book a flight for myself for say $500 then I would have roughly $2000 in vouchers to use.

Questions:
1. AA said they snail mail the vouchers for the remainder amount after I book my flight. At first she said it could take 3 weeks, then I mentioned I am in a time crunch and then she said it could take up to 6 weeks to receive the vouchers. Any idea how fast they normally come? Delivering to a street address in MO (midwest USA). Wanting to use the vouchers for a trip starting 31 aug 2013. Any way to expedite this process, pay a fee, get them electronically rather than paper, or use my Gold status to make it faster somehow?

2. The agent on the phone said the voucher could be used for ANY airline, as long as the flight was booked via AA. In the vouchers wiki page, it says the voucher can only be used on Airfare on American Airlines/Eagle/Connection, codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier. I need to book the flight on LAN airlines (MEX-LIM or SCL-SAO for example). Can I use the voucher for flights on LAN?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Since AA and BA are close partners, you can choose to credit any BA or AA flight to AAdvantage or any BA or AA flight to BA Avios. You do not need to credit the miles to the program of the carrier you are flying.
Cool! Should already be taken care of, then. Thanks again!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:20 pm

Extra City

I will be flying TXL -JFK and I know I can add on for no extra miles JFK -HNL, presuming I find availability. My friend is doing JFK - HNL and then return HNL -JFK. Does he have any option to add on from JFK to either some place in Florida, the Caribbean or Europe? I am not sure for his trip as his flight from HNL to JFK will stop in either LAX, ORD, or elsewhere and I don't know if this takes out of the equation the opportunity to add on.

Assistance appreciated.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:27 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I will be flying TXL -JFK and I know I can add on for no extra miles JFK -HNL, presuming I find availability. My friend is doing JFK - HNL and then return HNL -JFK. Does he have any option to add on from JFK to either some place in Florida, the Caribbean or Europe? I am not sure for his trip as his flight from HNL to JFK will stop in either LAX, ORD, or elsewhere and I don't know if this takes out of the equation the opportunity to add on.

Assistance appreciated.
Stopovers are only allowed at an international gateway.
HNL-JFK-stop-JFK-Florida is not allowed a stopover.
HNL-JFK-stop-JFK-Europe is allowed a stopover.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by flightmedic

Assistance appreciated.
Originally Posted by HNL
Stopovers are only allowed at an international gateway.
HNL-JFK-stop-JFK-Florida is not allowed a stopover.
HNL-JFK-stop-JFK-Europe is allowed a stopover.
And while the stopover (JFK) must be at the North American gateway on the international protion, there are no corresponding rules for the domestic leg. So it doesn't matter if HNL-JFK has a connection in ORD, LAX, DFW, it's still allowed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.