Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:27 pm

Any SnAAcks?

I just completed a PLT challenge to match my US status and I think I'll just start flying AA for the rest of the year as a result. Most of my domestic flying is in the NE or connections that I will I guess do over DFW.

Question: is there any food/beverage offering in First on flights under two hours?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
How long of a delay (or have you) have folks noticed between flights (AS codeshare on AA metal) to have the segments and miles post to Aadvantage?

Flew an AS codeshare (marketed) for the first time and was curious, thanks for your help!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by oak522
I just completed a PLT challenge to match my US status and I think I'll just start flying AA for the rest of the year as a result. Most of my domestic flying is in the NE or connections that I will I guess do over DFW.

Question: is there any food/beverage offering in First on flights under two hours?
Definitely a beverage and a bag of pretzels (or something similar) turbulence permitting.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EP, SPG PLT, HH GLD
Hello,

I am taking advantage of the LAX-SIN MR. I will be booking my NYC-LAX and LAX-SIN tickets separately. If I want to take advantage of the Miles + Copay upgrade to NRT, can I also have requested my NYC-LAX leg to upgrade, even though it will be a different PNR?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by swimdude92
Hello,

I am taking advantage of the LAX-SIN MR. I will be booking my NYC-LAX and LAX-SIN tickets separately. If I want to take advantage of the Miles + Copay upgrade to NRT, can I also have requested my NYC-LAX leg to upgrade, even though it will be a different PNR?

Thanks
No, it must be on the same PNR. According to the FAQs re: mileage upgrades:

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service and limited to a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments
Splitting the trip into two separate PNRs = two separate, as opposed to one single, trip.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by oak522

It depends on the specific flight and route. Pretzel/snack mix + beverage is guaranteed, except for turbulence on super short flights (STL-ORD, or similar).

Check out the domestic meals thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Depending on the route and time of day, it is not uncommon at all to get a full meal on flights under two hours. For example (from p. 20 on that thread), DFW-DEN and RDU-ORD both get full meals, but not DEN-DFW and ORD-RDU.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by shopkimchee
I am PLT on AA and was wondering if both me and my companion (non-elite w/ no 500 mile upgrades) were upgraded within the 72 hr period and I decide to change or cancel my flight but my companion did not, would that companion still remain upgraded or would they be bumped back down to economy? Pls note that these would be flights would be discounted fares. Thank you!
Originally Posted by HNL
If you do not make the flight then your companion will not be riding in First/Business. They will provided a new seat in the main cabin, probably the last row middle seat.
Relevant thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...needs-fly.html
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by bruceniven
Am considering switching from UA program (long-time platinum) to AA. But most of my travel is on BA / other oneworld. I like the AA program best, but it has a requirement that you must fly 4 legs on AA/Eagle each year to get status. I'd probably be able to do that, but it's not a sure thing so it's a risk (I'm out of the US for most of the year).

Does anyone know of any way to get this requirement waived? For example on UA there's a credit card that waives their restrictions..

Thanks all.
Indeed, AA does not currently enforce this requirement (or at least, as reported here on FT). However, we do not know whether they will continue to ignore this rule, or start enforcing it later on.

See these threads.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-only-jal.html

ijgordon's suggestion (post 9) here is a good one, I think.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...quirement.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-gaining.html
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Hi.

Could anyone tell me what the service in First/Business will consist of on the JFK-BGI route? Five hours is a long old stint in a 738.

Do these aircraft have the same First config as AA's regular 738 fleet? My only experience of these planes is hopping around California on them where it's a bag of pretzels and a drink in the domestic first seats.

Cheers
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by opalfruit
Hi.

Could anyone tell me what the service in First/Business will consist of on the JFK-BGI route? Five hours is a long old stint in a 738.

Do these aircraft have the same First config as AA's regular 738 fleet? My only experience of these planes is hopping around California on them where it's a bag of pretzels and a drink in the domestic first seats.

Cheers
It will be a standard domestic service, but you will get a full meal.

Seats will be the same as the domestic config, 16F with articulating reclining seats.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: AA, Hilton Honors
This is my first time playing with a frequent flyer program.

I heard about this AA challenge thing, and I'm ready to take a trip to Switzerland from LAX, so it's a good time.

I reserved a flight on aa.com. It's on a 24 hour hold. $1600 bucks. LAX->Geneva via Heathrow.

Tried to call +1 800-882-8880 to start the challenge, but they're only open 7:30-2:30 Pacific Time iirc.

It just hit me, maybe you pros have a better idea for me than reserving a $1600 flight on aa.com. If anyone has tips for doing this better, please let me know.

I've got a couple trips recently with 8030 Total Available Miles.

Thank you!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:43 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joedev
This is my first time playing with a frequent flyer program.

I heard about this AA challenge thing, and I'm ready to take a trip to Switzerland from LAX, so it's a good time.

I reserved a flight on aa.com. It's on a 24 hour hold. $1600 bucks. LAX->Geneva via Heathrow.

Tried to call +1 800-882-8880 to start the challenge, but they're only open 7:30-2:30 Pacific Time iirc.

It just hit me, maybe you pros have a better idea for me than reserving a $1600 flight on aa.com. If anyone has tips for doing this better, please let me know.

I've got a couple trips recently with 8030 Total Available Miles.

Thank you!
Welcome to Flyer Talk. Before you register for the Gold or Platinum Challenge I recommend reading through parts of the thread we have here in this forum on the topic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

Additionally there is a Wiki Page dedicated to Gold & Platinum Challenges.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

Good Luck and enjoy that trip to Switzerland.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, joedev.

If yu will be flying the oneworld alliance in your future, the Challenge is a fast track to mid-level (AAdvantage Platinum / oneworld Sapphire) status; the members' guide can be downloaded in PDF format here.

One important thing about the Challenge - and I heartily recommend you read more about it in the Challenge Help Desk thread here and in our FlyerGuide AA Wiki here - is it is based on POINTS, not miles flown.

How many EQ Points you earn will depend on the fare - $1,600 doesn't tell us much; some highly discounted fares earn a half-point per base mile / mile flown, so your itinerary - LAX-LHR-GVA-LHR-LAX renders 11,852 miles flown / base miles. For Coach:

Highly discounted fares (G, Q, N, O & S) = 5,926 points, not sufficient for a Challenge
Discounted fares (H, K, M, L, W & V) = 11,852 points, sufficient
Full (Y and B) coach fares = 17,778 points (also for Business / First)

See the table and explanation here.

The Help Desk thread explains, among other things, how you can put a booking on hold (you can see the fare class when you do that and see the detailed fare rules), call Web Services, upfare to a fare than offers 1.0 point per mile if you need to do so, and then complete the purchase on aa.com.

I believe AA is offering the new 777-300ER on LAX-LHR currently - it would offer Main Cabin Extra, so you might look at what you can do to purchase those seats - extra legroom, and one less seat across than in plain coach. (Yep, there's a thread for that...)

And sometimes one can find discounted "I" Business fares for not much more than some coach fares.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:02 am

Hi all,

I am a total newbie, and am really glad I found this thread. I hope one of you experienced AA Adv. flyers can help me understand how this works.

I've been collecting miles for 3 years and just reached 124k, which, together with the hotel points i can migrate to AA, will bring me to the 130k i was looking for. My plan was to fly with my gf to the US for a week and take her on business class. We wanted to go when my next business trip is due as my company pays for my trip, so we would only need to pay for her tickets. But i never redeemed miles before and just started looking into this...

My company uses a travel agency to book my flights, i don't have much of a say in it. I normally fly the BUD-LHR leg of my trips via BA, and the LHR-IAH part via BA or AA - whichever has the cheaper fare. I wanted to book her trip to match the flights they book me.

Or so i thought. I know, total, newbie...

The plan was that she comes with me to Houston, spends 3 days there while i work. My company pays for my ticket, i use miles to by hers (business class = 50k miles). Then, we would fly from Houston to New York on economy, paying for both of our tickets with my miles (2x15K miles). Finally, we would fly back from New York to Budapest via LHR on business, again my company paying for me, me buying her ticket with miles (another 50k; total spent = 130k).

Having looked into this, I now believe there is almost no way in hell we will be lucky enough to book her trip using miles to match my pre-scheduled business trip.

The AA advantage site normally does not even offer the BA flight from BUD-LHR, it always suggest Air Berlin with an extra stop in Germany. We want to travel together, of course...

Also, most of the dates around my supposed next business trip do not even offer any options on business, sometimes not even on economy. When they do, they hardly ever allow direct JFK-LHR either.

1, Do you guys believe calling AA they could book me flights the online system does not allow, if there are still seats available on them? Or do their people only see the options i see online?

2, Does it make sense to book economy (if we were lucky enough to get her a ticket on my flight), and try to upgrade to business at the airport, before the flight? Or if it is not offered now, chances are it won't be available?

I am starting to think i should collect another 70k miles, and just take her at a later date on a non-business related trip, and pay for both of us with miles. We could be flexible, could plan the rip around available flights, and we would not need the 30k miles for the US domestic flight...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by MrDoubleB
Hi all,
Having looked into this, I now believe there is almost no way in hell we will be lucky enough to book her trip using miles to match my pre-scheduled business trip.
This is probably correct. Booking with miles requires a significant degree of flexibility and/or extreme luck. Trying to get a specific itinerary on relatively short notice is just...unlikely.

1, Do you guys believe calling AA they could book me flights the online system does not allow, if there are still seats available on them? Or do their people only see the options i see online?
Probably not. If you are EXP, just maybe, but still very unlikely.

2, Does it make sense to book economy (if we were lucky enough to get her a ticket on my flight), and try to upgrade to business at the airport, before the flight? Or if it is not offered now, chances are it won't be available?
The odds are not in your favor.

Your new plan sounds like a much better option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.