Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Stripy
Not strictly an AA specific question but I've searched the other forums had come up blank so I'm trying here:

I'm trying to learn how to use the IATA Matrix search for multi city itineraries to allow me to find those elusive good deals on AA as well as pricing RTW tickets. I tried out a very simple multi city trip (LAX-DFW-LHR-LAX) with the LAX-DFW and DFW-LHR portions on the same day but IATA came up with a price that was about $500 more than the price I can find on AA.com...what am I doing wrong? I'm choosing the exact same flights and I'm not knowingly selecting as particular fare bucket on IATA (I'm choosing "cheapest available" cabin) so I was expecting to see then same price. Is there a tutorial anywhere on all this (the help pages on IATA didn't shed any light) or is this just something simple that I'm doing wrong? TIA
In the mileage run forum, there's a separate thread on itasoftware use which might help you - see here
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
OK, total n00b question. I currently have 42H/J on a 772 LHR-ORD and would like something further up the cabin, will Preferred Seats be released to everyone when OLCI opens?

Also, I'm registered with AAdvantage, but I'm also a BAEC member - which program will my miles be credited to? I have my BAEC details on the booking.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
OK, total n00b question. I currently have 42H/J on a 772 LHR-ORD and would like something further up the cabin, will Preferred Seats be released to everyone when OLCI opens?
If available, they should open up c. 24 hrs before checkin. However, getting two together may prove challenging.

Originally Posted by CraigWatson
Also, I'm registered with AAdvantage, but I'm also a BAEC member - which program will my miles be credited to? I have my BAEC details on the booking.
If you submitted your BAEC details, then the miles should post to that account.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

Question Using BA miles on AA?

I've got both BA freq. flier account and an AA account. Plan on flying on BA this Fall but am unsure how I can actually use the BA miles. I know they're supposed to be codeshare, but I've never actually done this sort of thing before.

Can I somehow transfer these miles to AA so they show up in my account there or somehow when booking AA, use them? Do they all have to be in one chunk since I don't plan on flying BA often?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Actually, the one thing you can not use Avios or AAdvantage miles is on a codeshare, AFAIK. You can not transfer miles from BAEC to AAdvantage or vice versa. You can use AAdvantage miles to book AA, oneworld partners (including BA) and other participating airlines - see here.

You can use Avios on BA, oneworld and participating partners including AA (must be a comparable page for BAEC members).

From what I've seen posted, some North America - Caribbean flights would cost considerably less using Avios than AAdvantage miles. IN addition, using AAdvantage miles on BA will incur the usual fees and taxes plus some whopping big "YQ" fees in addition, as opposed to using them on AA, IB (lower YQ), AB, etc.

Start informing yourself by reading the Awards Desk thread - there's much more than we can relate here in the newbie thread.

From there, it's likely you will find yourself using the AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) thread. There are also threads on the BA / British YQ and the APD / Air Passenger Duty you will pay if departing the UK.

The BAEC Forum will be your best resource for your Avios, particularly the Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] thread.

Originally Posted by TerryDarc
I've got both BA freq. flier account and an AA account. Plan on flying on BA this Fall but am unsure how I can actually use the BA miles. I know they're supposed to be codeshare, but I've never actually done this sort of thing before.

Can I somehow transfer these miles to AA so they show up in my account there or somehow when booking AA, use them? Do they all have to be in one chunk since I don't plan on flying BA often?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by TerryDarc

If you're flying on a flight actually operated by BA, you can choose to have the miles for the flight credited to either your AA account or your BA account. But if you choose to have them credited to your BA account, you cannot thereafter transfer them to AA; you can redeem BA Avios for AA award flights, but subject to BAEC's redemption rates, rules, and fees.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dstan
• How do I change or cancel my reservation?
Maybe this is a better thread for help.

Looking to find out the mechanics of changing a reservation within 24 hours of making it.

I'd like to book ORD-AAA this afternoon and pay $300 for the ticket. Then (inside of 24 hours) I'd like to take that ticket and change it to ORD-BBB for travel on the same date for $350.

Does anyone know if AA will initiate two transactions - one full $300 credit and one $350 debit? Or will they allow me to just charge the extra $50 to a second cc? Any help on the mechanics of the process is appreciated.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:18 am

Hi, I just need about 900 miles to top off a trip. I know I can buy flowers, and do a lot of stuff that involves buying, but is there surveys I can take for AA for free? I know UA has OpinionMilesClub and other similar ones that i've gotten over 1000s for free. The other day I just entered my email for a Dish Network advertisement and got 300 quick Southwest points. I was seeing if there was something similar for AA? TIA
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: AA PE, UA S, Ritz Plat.
Any way to waive requirement for 4 legs on AA metal for status?

Am considering switching from UA program (long-time platinum) to AA. But most of my travel is on BA / other oneworld. I like the AA program best, but it has a requirement that you must fly 4 legs on AA/Eagle each year to get status. I'd probably be able to do that, but it's not a sure thing so it's a risk (I'm out of the US for most of the year).

Does anyone know of any way to get this requirement waived? For example on UA there's a credit card that waives their restrictions..

Thanks all.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by bruceniven
Am considering switching from UA program (long-time platinum) to AA. But most of my travel is on BA / other oneworld. I like the AA program best, but it has a requirement that you must fly 4 legs on AA/Eagle each year to get status. I'd probably be able to do that, but it's not a sure thing so it's a risk (I'm out of the US for most of the year).

Does anyone know of any way to get this requirement waived? For example on UA there's a credit card that waives their restrictions..

Thanks all.
AA does not currently enforce this requirement
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pandaperth
In the mileage run forum, there's a separate thread on itasoftware use which might help you - see here
Thank you very much for this! I used the search term "IATA" so this thread didn't show
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
500 mile upgrades

I am PLT on AA and was wondering if both me and my companion (non-elite w/ no 500 mile upgrades) were upgraded within the 72 hr period and I decide to change or cancel my flight but my companion did not, would that companion still remain upgraded or would they be bumped back down to economy? Pls note that these would be flights would be discounted fares. Thank you!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:57 pm

gift cards

Originally Posted by chrissydi
can I buy some gift cards for walmart, target or supermarkets, to help with the $3000 spend on the new aa mastercard
would appreciate info.
I am thinking of buying two $500.00 gift cards through chase.com I am confused to what all would count toward spend. thanks for info. would really appreciate the help
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:36 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shopkimchee
I am PLT on AA and was wondering if both me and my companion (non-elite w/ no 500 mile upgrades) were upgraded within the 72 hr period and I decide to change or cancel my flight but my companion did not, would that companion still remain upgraded or would they be bumped back down to economy? Pls note that these would be flights would be discounted fares. Thank you!
If you do not make the flight then your companion will not be riding in First/Business. They will provided a new seat in the main cabin, probably the last row middle seat.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thank you!

Originally Posted by HNL
If you do not make the flight then your companion will not be riding in First/Business. They will provided a new seat in the main cabin, probably the last row middle seat.
Thank you for the information!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.