Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:19 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I have a seating-related question. I'm flying on a CRJ-700 Wednesday and I'm hoping to get the sought-after row five. However, EF shows that row 5 (AB, CD) are blocked. Will they likely unblock these seats 24 hours prior to departure, or will I have to ask the AAgent when checking in?

I've never had an upgrade not clear on this route, but it's looking like it because F capacity is dwindling and I'm upgrading with a companion. Any insight would be appreciated.
The seat blocks are lifted a T-24, +/- a few minutes.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: none; pre-COVID: AA Plat, UA Gold
5,000 bonus miles

I got 5,000 bonus miles for a flight from ORD to DUS on June 26 (I received it in addition to my PLAT bonus). Not that I am complaining but I'm just curious why I got the bonus. Is there any promotion going on?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: SPG Plat , AAdvantage Plat
YUL Airport - Arriving and Departing in the same aircraft

Hi there !
Due the mysteries of aircraft rates , I booked the following itinerary :
EZE-JFK / JFK-YUL / YUL-JFK because it was USD 400 cheaper than EZE-JFK alone.
The thing is that I have to take JFK-YUL YUL-JFK in the same flight 3509 (and plane) , arriving YUL 10:45 AM departing 11:55 AM .. the question is ... do I have to go through immigration (and / or clear customs ) or can I just wait at the arriving (and departing) gate?
I'm from South America and I'm going to leave my luggage at JFK (storage ) when I arrived from EZE , so I will have only my carry-on with me.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards.
Carlos.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Though you are flying AA, this is more of a Canada Forumor Travel Safety/Security >>Practical Travel Safety Issues forum issue - I don't know if YUL has a transit process for passengers not remaining in Canada.

I think you have to pre-clear USCBP (Immigration and Customs) at YUL if you are departing to the US, however.

¡Suerte! And enjoy the extra miles.

Originally Posted by charly
Hi there !
Due the mysteries of aircraft rates , I booked the following itinerary :
EZE-JFK / JFK-YUL / YUL-JFK because it was USD 400 cheaper than EZE-JFK alone.
The thing is that I have to take JFK-YUL YUL-JFK in the same flight 3509 (and plane) , arriving YUL 10:45 AM departing 11:55 AM .. the question is ... do I have to go through immigration (and / or clear customs ) or can I just wait at the arriving (and departing) gate?
I'm from South America and I'm going to leave my luggage at JFK (storage ) when I arrived from EZE , so I will have only my carry-on with me.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards.
Carlos.

Did you experience any delays or issues? On rare occasion, AA can be proactive and drop some miles into your account.

Originally Posted by MLudi
I got 5,000 bonus miles for a flight from ORD to DUS on June 26 (I received it in addition to my PLAT bonus). Not that I am complaining but I'm just curious why I got the bonus. Is there any promotion going on?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Nice suprise! Yes, there was a promotion offered and you (like me) probably signed up and forgot about it.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLA
I hope everybody is doing fine.

I am flying next October EZW-DFW-NRT-HAN and back through the same airports. I am flying AA on Economy. I have contacted AA in order to get an upgrade to Business for DFW-NRT for 25,000 miles and a $ 350 fee. I was told, however, that they had no upgrades available and was waitlisted.

Usually when I ask for this kind of upgrade at the airport the very same day of the flight I am able to get it. Now, with almost 4 months in advance I am told they have no upgrades… Could it be that they are waiting to see if they are able to fully sell the Business cabin before granting upgrades and that is the reason they have waitlisted me?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Alex
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:58 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ammassot
I hope everybody is doing fine.

I am flying next October EZW-DFW-NRT-HAN and back through the same airports. I am flying AA on Economy. I have contacted AA in order to get an upgrade to Business for DFW-NRT for 25,000 miles and a $ 350 fee. I was told, however, that they had no upgrades available and was waitlisted.

Usually when I ask for this kind of upgrade at the airport the very same day of the flight I am able to get it. Now, with almost 4 months in advance I am told they have no upgrades… Could it be that they are waiting to see if they are able to fully sell the Business cabin before granting upgrades and that is the reason they have waitlisted me?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Alex

1. Your same 25K + $350 will get you upgraded from EZE to DFW and DFW to NRT. I would call back and make sure your request covers both flights.

2. Upgrades are capacity controlled. AA would rather sell a business class ticket for $$$$$. As flight time approaches more seats may become available for upgrades.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
1. Your same 25K + $350 will get you upgraded from EZE to DFW and DFW to NRT. I would call back and make sure your request covers both flights.
Thank you HNL. I assume you are referring to the following statement (contained in http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...deAwards.jsp): "Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service and limited to a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments."

When I checked with the AA person on the phone he told me the above did not apply, could that be the case? In any event I think I will call again and confirm and if no satisfactory answer is provided I might write to Customer Service.

Thanks again!

UPDATE

I have just hanged up with AA Customer Service here in Argentina.

I was told that when requesting an upgrade with miles plus copayment, the “one-trip with a maximum of three segments rule” is only applicable when flying within the same region, but not when you are flying between different regions. Only System Upgrades are exempt from this limitation.

Honestly speaking I have not seen this rule written in any place… Does it make any sense to you? Should I escalate my complaint?

Thanks again!

Alex

Last edited by ammassot; Jul 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:26 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ammassot
Thank you HNL. I assume you are referring to the following statement (contained in http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...deAwards.jsp): "Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service and limited to a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments."

When I checked with the AA person on the phone he told me the above did not apply, could that be the case? In any event I think I will call again and confirm and if no satisfactory answer is provided I might write to Customer Service.

Thanks again!

UPDATE

I have just hanged up with AA Customer Service here in Argentina.

I was told that when requesting an upgrade with miles plus copayment, the “one-trip with a maximum of three segments rule” is only applicable when flying within the same region, but not when you are flying between different regions. Only System Upgrades are exempt from this limitation.

Honestly speaking I have not seen this rule written in any place… Does it make any sense to you? Should I escalate my complaint?

Thanks again!

Alex
Are you making a stopover in DFW or is that just a connection?

If it's just a connection then you are being told wrong information. It might be worth a phone call or skype call to the US number. The one cabin upgrade is valid for up-to 3 segments in the same direction of travel.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by HNL
Are you making a stopover in DFW or is that just a connection?

If it's just a connection then you are being told wrong information. It might be worth a phone call or skype call to the US number. The one cabin upgrade is valid for up-to 3 segments in the same direction of travel.
It is just a connection (4 hours), I booked EZE-HAN. Thank you again, I will definitively call the US and let you know how everything worked out.

UPDATE

Just spoken with the AAdvantage Gold Desk and the confirmed that the information I was provided with by AA is accurate; there is no one-way upgrade between EZE-NRT...

Last edited by ammassot; Jul 3, 2013 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:15 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
So, given the route I use for work, I can pretty much always book discounted first. Some of the seat maps are showing very empty cabins (5/16 seats booked, including my own)

Should I assume that it will be filled with elites and buy-ups by the time I depart? If so, does it make sense to try to just get the first row seats if available? Note that these are midweek flights.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by KPT
So, given the route I use for work, I can pretty much always book discounted first. Some of the seat maps are showing very empty cabins (5/16 seats booked, including my own)

Should I assume that it will be filled with elites and buy-ups by the time I depart? If so, does it make sense to try to just get the first row seats if available? Note that these are midweek flights.
Yes, domestic F cabins rarely go out not full. You don't say how far out these are...

"If so, does it make sense to try to just get the first row seats if available? Note that these are midweek flights."
I don't understand what you mean by this question. Just choose the seat you want?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:23 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Sorry, what I was implicitly trying to ask was should I just go for the best seats in the cabin, assuming there will be someone sitting next to me regardless of where I pick?

It's 4 weeks out from departure, LGA-ORD-SJC and back.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Could be this promo?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...all-fares.html
http://www.aa.com/netsaaver/viewProm...oryId=16606251

If you flew non-full fare economy, you'd get 10K roundtrip or 5K for a one-way.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes; IMO, that's what many of us would do.

Originally Posted by KPT
Sorry, what I was implicitly trying to ask was should I just go for the best seats in the cabin, assuming there will be someone sitting next to me regardless of where I pick?

It's 4 weeks out from departure, LGA-ORD-SJC and back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.