Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RoccoBoom
Not sure where else to ask this, so will post here...

I have two AA Flight Certificates for travel to anywhere in the 48 states and Canada. Travel must be ticketed by 11/30/2013, however, I don't believe I will be using them.

Any suggestions on where I can sell these? **I am not offering to sell here... just asking WHERE I can sell them***
You should be able to book a fully refundable ticket and cancel it, receiving a voucher with an extended expiration date.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:47 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by zgscl
Long story short, I was scheduled to fly CMI-ORD-SLC yesterday departing at 6 am with a 1.5 hour layover in ORD scheduled to get into SLC at 10:40. I got a call about 3 am saying that the cmi-ord leg was going to be 2 hours late. I quickly deduced that I would miss the connecting flight and promptly called AA to get rebooked. After speaking with a representative I learned that the delay was due to crew. They looked at their flights and even other carriers but nothing was available until 530 that night connecting through DFW arriving SLC at 1050. I asked them to book it and had myself removed from the CMI-ORD leg as it is relatively short and I have had some issues with MQ delaying and then canceling so I decided to take amtrak to CHI.

I am wondering if it would be worth asking customer service for compensation of some form of compensation as I didn't arrive into SLC until 12 hours after my scheduled arrival. If so, what should I expect/ask for?

Thank you

ZGSCL
It's very likely your crew were delayed for weather delays from the day before so AA will not cover that. You can ask but set your expectations low.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
How to earn OW miles traveling ORD-LFW??

Need to get to LFW in beautiful Lome, Togo. No One World partners fly there, so I'm trying to figure out how to get close-ish on any OW partner, then switch to AF.

Dakar, Lagos and Monrovia are closest. Any suggestions for best airport of those three? or maybe best to fly ORD-CDG then switch to AF for a nonstop...? Kayak won't let me create this trip, so suggestions for an online booking tool that will allow it are welcome. I never check bags so no worry about transferring bags from one airline to another
Old May 22, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
My original post:
Originally Posted by jerry305
I've got about 60,000 Amex Mileage Rewards points saved up.
(Promo: For US Amex cardholders, there is currently a promo bonus for converting MR to BA Avios. I haven't figured out if that applies to Canadian Mileage Rewards holders.)

My boss has about 120,000 RBC Avion points saved up.
(Promo: In July, there will be a promo bonus for converting RBC Avion to BA Avios.)

I can't make sense of the mileage conversions. There are some good blog posts about conversion successes, but I can't find any deals that get me out of YWG.

My expected flights are:
1. YWG to Europe, return, in late October. Upgraded classes would only be worth a 50% premium to me.
2. YWG to YVR, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 25,000 Aeroplan)
3. YWG to YYZ, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 15,000 Aeroplan)
4. YWG to Florida, return, in January. Y class is acceptable.
(normally ????? Aeroplan)

Should I convert MR to Avios?
Should my boss convert RBC Avion to Avios?

That is, will we get any great deals? Do you have good success stories?

If none of that works out, my wife and I together have about 100,000 Aeroplan, which don't expire for 6 years.

Thank you in advance!

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
I don't see any Oneworld flights out of YWG, but one possible interesting use of Avios is FAR-ORD-MCO (or TPA or RSW) for 24,000 Avios round trip. That way you clear customs and immigration or the ground in Pembina instead of having to handle your bags an extra time in the airport and clear customs there. MIA or EYW is an additional 5K Avios round trip.
FAR-ORD-DUB using AA and Aer Lingus is 49K roundtrip if you like the idea of using Ireland as a jumping off point for your Europe trip.

Thanks very much, KennyBSAT.
I appreciate the help. It's going to take some creativity to use AA or BA points out of YWG.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum/Oneworld Emerald, Qantas Lifetime Gold
Hi, I'm not sure where the right place for this question is, so I thought I'd try here.

My mother in law is flying over from Australia to Boston for a visit. She connects through DFW and we have purchased the 5 Star Service for her (she is fit and well but we thought it would just make the somewhat daunting immigration/transfer process for a non-US citizen a bit easier, plus she has a relatively tight connection for someone not familiar with the airport).

The question is, does she need to tip the 5 Star Service agent that meets her, and if so, how much would be appropriate?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by AllyB
Hi, I'm not sure where the right place for this question is, so I thought I'd try here.

My mother in law is flying over from Australia to Boston for a visit. She connects through DFW and we have purchased the 5 Star Service for her (she is fit and well but we thought it would just make the somewhat daunting immigration/transfer process for a non-US citizen a bit easier, plus she has a relatively tight connection for someone not familiar with the airport).

The question is, does she need to tip the 5 Star Service agent that meets her, and if so, how much would be appropriate?

Thanks!
Ooops, it seems you have opened up a can of worm .....

To answer the query, I don't think the agent would give any bad service / looks if he/she is not tipped, so from that perspective, tip is not needed. but if it was me, I would just tip like $5 ~ $10 depending on how well he/she greets / helps etc.

Cheers!
Old May 22, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Main Cabin Meal Service JFK-LHR

Hi have an upcoming JFK-LHR flight in Main Cabin and just wondering what meal service will be provided?

I know there will be a hot meal, but will there be a beverage service beforehand and will this include nuts/pretzels, or simply drinks like Domestic flights?

Thanks for any insight... first time flying Int. on AA.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi everyone,
I feel so lame, but i´m assure i search for a good mileage calculator for AAdvantage that take into account my Elite Status and the Fare Basis; and I cant seem to find one

Can someone give me a hint or a link?

Many many thanks
Old May 23, 2013, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Quick question: Planning to fly LHR-JFK-LAX-OGG (booking class O, all flights operated by AA)

Am I correct that I can upgrade to business class if booking class C is available and First Class if booking class A is available (on 2 cabin aircrafts, upgrade to C on 3 cabin aircrafts) using a single SWU?

Is it a problem if the flights are booked on Expedia (of course all flights marketed and operated by AA)?

I believe this should work, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
Old May 23, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Quick question: Planning to fly LHR-JFK-LAX-OGG (booking class O, all flights operated by AA)

Am I correct that I can upgrade to business class if booking class C is available and First Class if booking class A is available (on 2 cabin aircrafts, upgrade to C on 3 cabin aircrafts) using a single SWU?

Is it a problem if the flights are booked on Expedia (of course all flights marketed and operated by AA)?

You're correct. You need to be looking for 'C' availability on LHR-JFK-LAX and 'A' on LAX-OGG. Booking on Expedia doesn't matter, just give AA a call to request the upgrades after you book it.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Looks fine to me.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks to the two of you for the fast response!^
Old May 23, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
LHR-JFK-YYZ

I am in the middle of changing a return flight LHR-YYZ.

I am thinking of flying AA101 Arriving JFK at 13:10 connecting to AA3409 at 15:00. This is a legal connection and AA is selling it online, but as a non US passport holder with bags, is this connection time way too much of a risk? Particularly with the cuts in immigration staff and increased wait times I am worried I will miss my connecting flight.

I would really appreciate advice on this, but I wonder if it will be a very stressy connection and not worth it.

(Btw if I did miss the flight, AA would be responsible for putting me on the next available flight, right?

Thanks for advice!
Old May 23, 2013, 12:25 pm

I cant find this information anywhere. I have a return ticket from the US to the Caribbean. My fare is an O fare. Is it possible for my dad who is an elite member to upgrade me by like giving me miles, or did he have to buy the ticket for me in order for that to work.
Thanks guys
Old May 23, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jokeride
I cant find this information anywhere. I have a return ticket from the US to the Caribbean. My fare is an O fare. Is it possible for my dad who is an elite member to upgrade me by like giving me miles, or did he have to buy the ticket for me in order for that to work.
Thanks guys
Welcome to FT. It's no problem for your dad to upgrade you with his miles. You need to give your dad your record locator # and have him call AA. The upgrades will be 15k miles + $75 each way, and you need the appropriate upgrade inventory, which usually isn't hard to find to the Caribbean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.