Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 13, 2013, 9:34 pm

Hey all!! First time posting.

I'm currently a AA Plat. member via a challenge last year. I know I have until Feb 2014 to use it, so I'm thinking a mileage run might be in my best interest. I have 200 in gift cards, and another 400 in 'pay by credit card'. I know 600 isnt a LOT, but, with my status, is it worth doing? I'd be willing to chip more in if it meant another year of status. Although, would I get anywhere close to the 50k I need? Thoughts? insight? I appreciate it!
Old May 13, 2013, 9:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's hard for any of us to tell you if this is worthwhile because we don't know how far you are away from requalifying at the 50K mark--that would carry you through February, 2015. If you have zero miles this year and only intend to fly one or two domestic trips, not sure it would be worthwhile to go all the way to 50K. If you're already at 30-40K for the year, or expect to fly that, I'd certainly make it a point to get to 50K just to hold onto the 100% bonus miles at that level.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old May 13, 2013, 10:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by katana1100
It has been three years since I have had a AA cc. If I signed up for one, would I get the 40,000 mile bonus or is that now once per lifetime?
Reports on the internet generally suggest that you can churn after 18+ months, but I've seen at least one report of someone being denied after 2+ years since his last approval. So churning is possible, but there doesn't appear to be an official policy regarding the minimum interval. To increase your chances I might recommend applying for the AMEX if you last had the Visa or vice versa.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:41 am

Is AA supposed to notify you when they change your seats?

I did not receive any notification from AA that they had changed my family's seats on our July 4 CDG-DFW flight. AA has changed equipment twice in the last 3 days. So my seats have changed from good to bad. I have not received any type of notification to check my seats.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Maximus
I did not receive any notification from AA that they had changed my family's seats on our July 4 CDG-DFW flight. AA has changed equipment twice in the last 3 days. So my seats have changed from good to bad. I have not received any type of notification to check my seats.
Unfortunately no, AA won't notify you if there's been an equipment swap, which usually results in the musical chairs scenario you're describing. Call AA ASAP though and explain the situation, you booked early, picked good seats for your family, and now everything's mixed up. A phone AAgent might be able to do give you preferred seats, MCE, etc.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:03 am

I did call last Friday. No desireable seats in MCE. I was assigned 2 preferred seats 10 rows in front of other 2 seats for no extra cost. Yesterday, AA changed back to 767 so I lost my preferred seats. Oddly, the computer did not reassign seats for 2 of my seats even though there were plenty of empty seats. I assume complaining to AA will get me nowhere??
Old May 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by tom911
In terms of award miles needed to fly, no. About the only reduction you'll see is for off-peak coach travel which would be 40K RT instead of 60K RT. With 100K, you have enough for two of those. That season runs Oct 15-May 15. If you don't want to fly in coach you'd have enough for one round-trip in business or two one-ways.

The big risk in using BA for award travel are their fuel surcharges which will run a couple hundred dollars across the Atlantic on a business class award. You want to stay on AA metal or with other partners that have a lower fuel surcharge (IB) or none at all (Air Berlin is one). If you have to book BA, the fuel surcharges would be much less from LHR to CDG than with a trans-Atlantic flight.
Thanks! I knew BA had a massive fuel charge added. My other question was is it better to convert the AA miles into another partner's miles and fly on the other partner's metal, completely ditching AA?

-WT
Old May 14, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"My other question was is it better to convert the AA miles into another partner's miles ...?"

How would you go about doing that?
Old May 14, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"My other question was is it better to convert the AA miles into another partner's miles ...?"

How would you go about doing that?
No! Most of the conversion rates are so bad, you would end up with much less miles in another account than you started with in original account. Having said that, you could use AA miles on all OW airlines plus other partner airlines (which are not OW yet) like Qatar Airways, Jet Airways Gulf Air etc.

Cheers!
Old May 14, 2013, 11:55 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I did call last Friday. No desireable seats in MCE. I was assigned 2 preferred seats 10 rows in front of other 2 seats for no extra cost. Yesterday, AA changed back to 767 so I lost my preferred seats. Oddly, the computer did not reassign seats for 2 of my seats even though there were plenty of empty seats. I assume complaining to AA will get me nowhere??
Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, as mentioned, AA does not send out notices to passengers when seats are changed or when equipment is swapped. (Sometimes, passengers don't even find out about schedule changes until they check-in for their flight.)

Complaining to AA may get you a few miles tossed your way, but I would do it more to express your displeasure/inconvenience. If we voice our concerns to AA, there's a higher likelihood that someone will address the issue in the future.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:17 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, complaints will fall on deaf ears. There are MCE seats on the 4 July DFW-CDG flight available now.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
COS bonus miles

Does AA only give 50% bonus miles for purchased First? And 1.5 Points per mile, but not 1.5 EQM?

I've been flying UA and believe they give 1.5 EQM per mile flown in paid First or Business.

Can this be?
Old May 15, 2013, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by lili
Does AA only give 50% bonus miles for purchased First? And 1.5 Points per mile, but not 1.5 EQM?

I've been flying UA and believe they give 1.5 EQM per mile flown in paid First or Business.

Can this be?
Yes, see this chart here.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp

AA institutes the EQP/EQM system to account for high spenders. EQM is just the base miles, or BIS miles. EQM is not affected by what fare you paid. That's where EQP comes in.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
How do I know how many EQP I've earned on any given flight segment? I buy many paid J or F tickets, and I'm trying to determine if I'm getting the EQP's that I think I should be receiving? My interpretation of my AA account lists the Miles earned and Bonus (which is based on elite status ranking), resulting in total MILES. I'm not seeing details on points earned.

Thanks
Old May 16, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Airport Lounges

I have been reading the terms and cant quite figure it out. I am flying AA for the first time in awhile. I have a two hour layover at ORD. I hve no AA status or AA credit card. Am I right that I can just buy a day pass to The admirals? and since I am flying First (booking code P) from ORD to TPA, can I get into the FL lounge?

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.