Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Can 500-mile UG certificates be used internationally? If there is no C availability at the time your window opens, is there a waitlist that will definitely clear if a seat is available in the UG cabin?

Regarding mileage UGs, do you have to pay the co-pay if you go on the waitlist? Or only when it actually clears?

Do UGs have to be re-ticketed by a phone agent like they do on DL?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:58 pm

I have 130,000 Avios, 1,000,000+ MR's 110,000 skymiles. I don't mind spending it all. I want to fly msp-lhr/arn-lhr-msp on American in First. 1. Can I do this with the points I have? 2. Can I preorder food?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Can 500-mile UG certificates be used internationally? If there is no C availability at the time your window opens, is there a waitlist that will definitely clear if a seat is available in the UG cabin?

Regarding mileage UGs, do you have to pay the co-pay if you go on the waitlist? Or only when it actually clears?

Do UGs have to be re-ticketed by a phone agent like they do on DL?
They can be used on short haul int'l but not to Europe, Asia, etc. From coach to first you're looking for X availability, and from coach to business R. From aa.com...

Upgrades may be used on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Bermuda, as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).

For miles/copay, you're not charged the copay until the upgrade clears. These are reticketed, but an upgrade using 500mi'ers are not.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
+1 on just get the F SAAver award

Originally Posted by djibouti
Welcome to flyertalk, jocljoma!

Domestic inventory is not so bad. All direct flights MIA-STL on 5/8 still showing A7 which is the fare bucket you'd need for a 15k+$75 mile upgrade.

You may want to look for sAAver domestic F tickets though. 25k miles rather than a cash fare + $75 + 15k miles each.

I'm showing AA 1005 and AA 2097, both direct MIA-STL flights on 5/8, as having significant sAAver (Z) inventory. So, jocljoma, you may wish to just spend 25 miles on award tickets in F rather than pay cash AND $75 copay AND 15k miles to upgrade, each. Which one is more worth it is a judgment call that only you can make (but I, personally, would definitely go for the 25k miles myself, especially purchasing a one-way ticket).
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:40 pm

Hello, mom is traveling and has a long layover in Berlin Tegel airport. <redacted> Admiral's Club Passes for any of those:

Air-France Salon-Lounge
BerlinAirportClub Lounge
British-Airways-Terraces-Lounge
Lufthansa-Lounge

I <redacted> have 4 AA passes.

<redacted>
P.S. I am in Chicago

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 21, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reason: not allowed
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmamminna
Hello, mom is traveling and has a long layover in Berlin Tegel airport.<redacted> Admiral's Club Passes for any of those:

Air-France Salon-Lounge
BerlinAirportClub Lounge
British-Airways-Terraces-Lounge
Lufthansa-Lounge

I <redacted> have 4 AA passes.
I doubt you'll have much luck. Most int'l carriers don't offer any kind of paid access to their lounges (via membership, day passes, etc.). Access is only granted via status or class of service.

I've been to the AF, BA, & LH lounges in TXL. All are completely average...perfectly fine places to kill an hour or 2, but I wouldn't want to spend all day there. If the Berlin Airport Club is independent, it may offer some sort of pay per entrance, which is probably your best (only) bet.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 21, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
I've searched both Wiki and FAQ, but here goes: is the 100% Platinum bonus applied before or after booking class bonus? Would LHR-LAX in F be 13640 or 16368 miles?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I doubt you'll have much luck. Most int'l carriers don't offer any kind of paid access to their lounges (via membership, day passes, etc.). Access is only granted via status or class of service.

I've been to the AF, BA, & LH lounges in TXL. All are completely average...perfectly fine places to kill an hour or 2, but I wouldn't want to spend all day there. If the Berlin Airport Club is independent, it may offer some sort of pay per entrance, which is probably your best (only) bet.
Thank you for your response. She is flying ORD-TXL in business class, will that qualify her to enter any of those lounges? She has no status with any airline. TIA
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmamminna
Thank you for your response. She is flying ORD-TXL in business class, will that qualify her to enter any of those lounges? She has no status with any airline. TIA
Is her connecting flight also on AB (or another oneworld airline)? If so, then yes. AB uses the AF lounge at TXL.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Everything on AA is calculated on Base Miles (also referred to as "Butt in seat Miles .

EQM is 100% of Base on AA operated flights and AA marketed (codeshares) flights.

Class of service, status and other bonus flight miles are calculated on Base Miles. In this instance AA F:

LHR-LAX = Base Miles = Elite-Qualfying Miles

Class of service bonus miles = BM x 50% (redeemable, not EQM)

Stats bonus miles (EXP or Plat) = BM x 100% (redeemable, not EQM)

EQ Points = BM x 150% (not redeemable, only quantifiable for stats award)

(I am not going to do the math - you didn't provide the Base Miles figure. )

Originally Posted by Peppep
I've searched both Wiki and FAQ, but here goes: is the 100% Platinum bonus applied before or after booking class bonus? Would LHR-LAX in F be 13640 or 16368 miles?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A reminder: soliciting, offers to sell, trade or barter for miles, points, passes, etc. is strictly prohibited.

Members with permitted access may be extended the privilege of using The Coupon Connection, which requires at minimum 180 days of tenure on FlyerTalk and a minimum of 180 substantive posts.

/Moderator
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Thank you, JDiver!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
A reminder: soliciting, offers to sell, trade or barter for miles, points, passes, etc. is strictly prohibited.

Members with permitted access may be extended the privilege of using The Coupon Connection, which requires at minimum 180 days of tenure on FlyerTalk and a minimum of 180 substantive posts.

/Moderator
I apologize, I was not aware of that rule. Thank you.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Is her connecting flight also on AB (or another oneworld airline)? If so, then yes. AB uses the AF lounge at TXL.

Yes, it is on AB. How do I ensure that she will qualify to use it once she gets there? TIA

Found it online: http://www.airberlin.com/site/landin...LANG=eng&cid=2

Thanks so much! I would print it so she has it and be more confident!

Last edited by mmamminna; Apr 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:42 pm

Upgrading with miles BOS - LHR, LHR - DFW

Hi, I'm getting acquainted with this great site/forum, and using KVS tools. I have a question, and wanted to get advice on it. (I'm a platinum status in AA if it matters on the subject of my question, I'm not sure)

After much search I have finally gotten a mostly AA plane flights on a trip from Boston to DME Moscow airport, and back from St. Petersburg (Mid-May and End of May respectively)
BOS-JFK-LHR (All of AA planes) - DME (BA)
then
LED (oneworld s7) - LHR - DFW- BOS (all AA)

the JFK-LHR and LHR-DFW parts of my trip are the ones I am interested on upgrading with my existing miles (actually for another person as well, who is also a platinum status member). I have checked by phone with AA yesterday and they claimed they couldn't do the awards miles because business was full. I checked the sitting availability on their site, and business shows only 50% full on the JFK-LHR part, and 10% full of the LHR-DFW part.

(I purchased the lowest-fare economy tickets is that info is relevant)

Is is possible to get the awards on those statistics? What would be the recommendation to do so?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.