Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by CX828
Thanks.

-----------------

Sorry everyone, another Q: I am OW Sapphire (CX GO) and I will be flying in Y on a YYZ-JFK-LHR sector.

I am aware from reading here about lounge access that I will get access at JFK before my flight AA100 as it is international.
Q:Will I get access to a lounge (is there a lounge?) at YYZ prior to my Eagle connector?
Q: Will I qualify for access to AA Arrivals lounge in LHR?

Thanks for help
Since you are oneworld Sapphire from your CX status, the AA rules regarding lounge access on domestic itineraries don't apply. Meaning: Even for domestic flights, you have access to any oneworld business class lounge as long as you have a departing oneworld flight from that airport on that day.

Thus, you may access the Admirals Club or the Galleries Club lounge in YYZ. You have access to both Admirals Clubs at JFK.

But unless your JFK-LHR flight is in J or F, no Arrivals Lounge access at LHR.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Apr 20, 2013 at 6:53 pm Reason: misread OP
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CX828

Sorry everyone, another Q: I am OW Sapphire (CX GO) and I will be flying in Y on a YYZ-JFK-LHR sector.

I am aware from reading here about lounge access that I will get access at JFK before my flight AA100 as it is international.
Q:Will I get access to a lounge (is there a lounge?) at YYZ prior to my Eagle connector?
Q: Will I qualify for access to AA Arrivals lounge in LHR?

Thanks for help
@YYZ, yes since you are AA metal (Eagle), on an international itin.
@LHR, no. See here for detail:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...als_lounge.jsp
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Thank you Apieinthesky and Allset2travel for your help and responses.

Shame I cant get access to LHR arrivals. As CX GO I get access to this lounge in LHR in Y when I arrive on CX. I guess CX have a contract that extends invitation to GO.

It is a small lounge anyways, so not really space for AA to start letting in Y travelling OW Sapphire!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:18 pm

upgrades and other basic questions - to be merged

hi..i am brand new..i have 150,000 aa points and am wondering if i purchase two coach tickets how much will it cost to upgrade to first class..it is from mia to stl one way..have very old senile relative have to transport with meds so i think first class would be best.. also, what status, if any, do i qualify for? thank you. i have not bought the tickets yet and will be traveling around may 8, 2013.. thanks
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jocljoma
hi..i am brand new..i have 150,000 aa points and am wondering if i purchase two coach tickets how much will it cost to upgrade to first class..it is from mia to stl one way..have very old senile relative have to transport with meds so i think first class would be best.. also, what status, if any, do i qualify for? thank you. i have not bought the tickets yet and will be traveling around may 8, 2013.. thanks
15K miles per person one-way. Subject to availability, of course. Not much time left and upgrade inventory may be running low.

You don't qualify for any status, sadly. Status requires a certain amount to be earned through flying and expires unless you re-earn it.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Check the AA WIKI: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrades_%28AA%29
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
15K miles per person one-way. Subject to availability, of course. Not much time left and upgrade inventory may be running low.

You don't qualify for any status, sadly. Status requires a certain amount to be earned through flying and expires unless you re-earn it.
Welcome to flyertalk, jocljoma!

Domestic inventory is not so bad. All direct flights MIA-STL on 5/8 still showing A7 which is the fare bucket you'd need for a 15k+$75 mile upgrade.

You may want to look for sAAver domestic F tickets though. 25k miles rather than a cash fare + $75 + 15k miles each.

I'm showing AA 1005 and AA 2097, both direct MIA-STL flights on 5/8, as having significant sAAver (Z) inventory. So, jocljoma, you may wish to just spend 25 miles on award tickets in F rather than pay cash AND $75 copay AND 15k miles to upgrade, each. Which one is more worth it is a judgment call that only you can make (but I, personally, would definitely go for the 25k miles myself, especially purchasing a one-way ticket).
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton

My brother who lives in germany is trying to book AA flights for my nephew to visit this September online. He keeps getting an error message . He wonders if using Firefox ( Internet Explorer won't accept the dates) or using a credit card that expires in June - though the ticket will be paid off the flight is in September- could be problems.. I have rarely flown AA so have no idea. Can anyone help?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Quick question regarding platinum challenge.
Will any miles/points over10,000 earned on an
Itinerary be immediately credited platinum status ?
I.e. 10450 miles/points = 450 + 450 plat bonus ?
THX
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

OK, I am feeling slightly confused, so please help us out here. I think you are saying you have 150,000 AAdvantage redeemable miles, not that you have earned 150,000 Elite-Qualifying points this year.

Status is based on Elite-Qualifying Points, Elite-Qualifying (not including bonus, credit card, etc.) Miles, or Elite Qualifying Segments. A look at the Wiki, as recommended, and some of the links to threads and aa.com, will clear up your confusion. Also look here on aa.com for status qualifications, perquisites, etc.

There are also threads on upgrading - in your case, you are looking at upgrading with miles and co-pay, I suspect. See this page on aa.com, where it tells you upgrading wholly within the CONUS (Continental United States) is 15,000 + $75 one way per person from discounted Economy fares. But do consider what djibouti has recommended, as well.

As these are very basic questions covered extensively elsewhere, I will take the liberty of moving your query and the replies to our "Newbie Lounge" thread, where we welcome new members and answer basic questions like these. Reading upthread will also reveal a lot of information. /JDiver, senior moderator

Originally Posted by jocljoma
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:12 am

All miles / points are credited toward status, but it doesn't quite work as you might suppose from your post.

So: Earn 10,000 Points and earn Challenge Platinum.

Earn 450 more points, it goes against the 100,000 total you need for EXP - including the 10k you just earned. So, you now have 10,450 EQ Points for this year toward higher status than Platinum.

Of course, we have no idea how many Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles you earned; for 10,000 Points, it could be anything from 6,667 to 20,000 EQ / Base miles. And bonus miles do not count toward status; they are Redeemable, not Elite-Qualifying, miles.

As to Platinum status bonus (redeemable) miles, you earn those on the actual flight you qualify on. So, fly a short segment and qualify on it, you earn 100% of the miles flown as bonus miles, on a long segment, still 100% but a lot more bonus miles potentially.

A lot of answers, but I am still unclear on what you are actually asking... Read the FAQ and Wiki, and aa.com pages linked to this one to get a better idea.

Originally Posted by aafreq
THX
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:16 am

For browser issues, I'd try to clear my cache first, then try again. I've not had trouble using credit cards with expiry dates closer than the date of travel.

Is your brother trying to use www.aa.com, or www.americanairlines.de?

Originally Posted by gungadin
My brother who lives in germany is trying to book AA flights for my nephew to visit this September online. He keeps getting an error message . He wonders if using Firefox ( Internet Explorer won't accept the dates) or using a credit card that expires in June - though the ticket will be paid off the flight is in September- could be problems.. I have rarely flown AA so have no idea. Can anyone help?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by aafreq
THX
My guess would be no. Unless your 10,000th mile posted BEFORE the 450 miles. Status does not happen AT 10K, but after whatever trip caused you to cross 10K. So if you had 9K miles and then did a 10K trip, none of the 10K would earn status bonus miles. Status takes a few days to post and it's only AFTER status is posted do you get benefits. So if you have a two segment trip where status is earned in segment one, you will not get benefits for segment two.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:10 am

Thanks Jdiver !

Originally Posted by JDiver
All miles / points are credited toward status, but it doesn't quite work as you might suppose from your post.

So: Earn 10,000 Points and earn Challenge Platinum.

Earn 450 more points, it goes against the 100,000 total you need for EXP - including the 10k you just earned. So, you now have 10,450 EQ Points for this year toward higher status than Platinum.

Of course, we have no idea how many Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles you earned; for 10,000 Points, it could be anything from 6,667 to 20,000 EQ / Base miles. And bonus miles do not count toward status; they are Redeemable, not Elite-Qualifying, miles.

As to Platinum status bonus (redeemable) miles, you earn those on the actual flight you qualify on. So, fly a short segment and qualify on it, you earn 100% of the miles flown as bonus miles, on a long segment, still 100% but a lot more bonus miles potentially.

A lot of answers, but I am still unclear on what you are actually asking... Read the FAQ and Wiki, and aa.com pages linked to this one to get a better idea.
I am in fare code 'V' 1:1 miles/points, most affordable, in economy Xtra on the new bird 77W.
I now am aware that my qualifying leg, GRU > JFK + qualifies for Plt status & bonus =100%
Thanks to your info !

I am burning my pre-1989 miles next, "bucket list " ORD > NRT > BKK RT UG to 'J' (C ?) hoping Plt status will allow for better seating on the JL portion, can't get seating yet... also possibly AA/JL lounge access in BKK or NRT as a sapphire....possibly ? what I've read so far on FT doesn't look good for
Lounge access....
Thx again !
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:24 am

Thanks Roger,
"Unless your 10,000th mile posted BEFORE the 450 miles"
Yes, JFK > GRU RT. + connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.