Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta
LAX to FCO - High taxes/fees

Hello, I am sending my son to Rome from LAX and using miles, can someone direct me to a forum that will tell me what airports to avoid because of high taxes and fees? He will be going from LAX to FCO, then ZRH to GOT, then GOT to LAX. I am finding the fees can be as much as $750 for the trip and have found it as small as $218 (if i remember right) He is not going until April 2014.

Or is there a list of Airport taxes/fees somewhere in flyer talk?

I have AA miles, but can use any airline that SPG allows points to miles transfer.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mitchandjeanette
Hello, I am sending my son to Rome from LAX and using miles, can someone direct me to a forum that will tell me what airports to avoid because of high taxes and fees? He will be going from LAX to FCO, then ZRH to GOT, then GOT to LAX. I am finding the fees can be as much as $750 for the trip and have found it as small as $218 (if i remember right) He is not going until April 2014.

Or is there a list of Airport taxes/fees somewhere in flyer talk?

I have AA miles, but can use any airline that SPG allows points to miles transfer.
The connecting airport is not nearly as important as avoiding flights on BA metal, because of surcharges imposed for those flights (and additional U.S. taxes that those surcharges trigger).

The aa.com website can display award space on AA, AB, AY, and BA between the U.S. and Europe. You must call AA to check and/or book award space on IB. (There's a small surcharge on IB flights, but nothing outrageous.)

In addition, if your son wants to spend a night or two in Paris en route to Rome, you can call AA and check on award seats on TN's LAX-CDG nonstop; then add a flight from PAR to ROM on a low-cost carrier.

Award seats do not open up any earlier than 331 days before departure date.

From Coach travel in April, AA's awards provide exceptional value between the U.S. and Europe: only 20K miles each way for an off-peak SAAver award.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
The lowest fare buckets on Qantas earn no EQM/EQP.
Thanks for catching that. I don't recall seeing a section on the Qantas partner page in the past with "no mileage credit" in the left column. Is that a recent addition or did I just miss it? Thought the worst I would do with a QF flight number would be 50%.

Tom in Helsinki
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Thanks for catching that. I don't recall seeing a section on the Qantas partner page in the past with "no mileage credit" in the left column. Is that a recent addition or did I just miss it? Thought the worst I would do with a QF flight number would be 50%.

Tom in Helsinki
I have no idea. I haven't flown Qantas in about 15 years. I just looked it up to be comprehensive in my response
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:57 pm

Awards booking, 2 questions...
(setup) I'd like to book an award trip for 2 (US)<>LHR late November, off-peak, 20K each way (coach), total 80K miles and ATM comparable to ~$2000 nonstop out of pocket. (Budget traveler.)
- I don't yet have enough miles for 1 RT now, but will have in a couple of months.
- Would have enough miles for BOTH RT tickets in my account in late July or August.
- I see the route has those award tickets available today (mid-April).
So, questions...
1) In your experience - about when will those 20K-each-way award tickets be gone, what's my *probable*/estimated deadline zone? (Skipping the BA same-route tix with giant fuel surcharges, I mean.)
2) If the other passenger also gets 40K miles in their FF account relatively soon... What is/are reasonably successful way(s) to book 2 separate-account RT award tickets so that we end up next to each other on the same planes?
a) Call the AA award booking line and pay $25-50 for someone to book both RTs and lock in the seats? (Assuming they can do that?)
b) Book them right after another after midnight?
c) Book them with the same reservation... in some way to use 2 different accounts for frequent flier miles that I haven't discovered or heard of yet?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by songbird
(setup) I'd like to book an award trip for 2 (US)<>LHR late November, off-peak, 20K each way (coach), total 80K miles and ATM comparable to ~$2000 nonstop out of pocket. (Budget traveler.)
- I don't yet have enough miles for 1 RT now, but will have in a couple of months.
- Would have enough miles for BOTH RT tickets in my account in late July or August.
So, questions...
1) In your experience - about when will those 20K-each-way award tickets be gone, what's my *probable*/estimated deadline zone? (Skipping the BA same-route tix with giant fuel surcharges, I mean.)
2) If the other passenger also gets 40K miles in their FF account relatively soon... What is/are reasonably successful way(s) to book 2 separate-account RT award tickets so that we end up next to each other on the same planes?
a) Call the AA award booking line and pay $25-50 for someone to book both RTs and lock in the seats? (Assuming they can do that?)
c) Book them with the same reservation... in some way to use 2 different accounts for frequent flier miles that I haven't discovered or heard of yet?

Thanks in advance!
Hard to say when (or if) Coach SAAver seats on AA metal will disappear.

One traveler with 40K miles can book two award seats for the outbound one-way; when the other traveler has 40K miles, (s)he can book two award seats for the inbound one-way.

Keep in mind the substantial UK APD and LHR PSC fees associated with long-haul departures from London. You might consider taking the train to Paris or Brussels and flying back from there, especially if you'd like to visit another city anyway.

And don't forget about the "gateway" stopover option if you'll be flying back to a gateway city. You don't say where you'll be flying back to, but Europe-JFK by itself costs the same number of miles as Europe-JFK (lengthy stopover) - Hawaii/Caribbean/Alaska/Mexico, etc.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
So, questions...
What dates are you looking at and where are you coming from?

Unless you're trying to go on one of the peak Thanksgiving travel days, November isn't exactly high season to Europe. Coach awards should be relatively easy to come by, I wouldn't expect them to all be snapped up by an arbitrary date in Aug. or Sep. for example. AA has tons of flights to LHR.

No need to call in and pay any phone fees or do any other after midnight shenanigans. Online, you can put one award on hold (up to 5 days) from each account to make sure you're on the same flight, seats together etc. Then just book each online.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What dates are you looking at and where are you coming from? Unless you're trying to go on one of the peak Thanksgiving travel days, November isn't exactly high season to Europe.
Not Thanksgiving, thank goodness.
Online, you can put one award on hold (up to 5 days) from each account to make sure you're on the same flight, seats together etc. Then just book each online.
Oh! Right! Duh! Thank you!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
One traveler with 40K miles can book two award seats for the outbound one-way; when the other traveler has 40K miles, (s)he can book two award seats for the inbound one-way.
Ooh, I don't think I have the nerve to run it that way...
Keep in mind the substantial UK APD and LHR PSC fees associated with long-haul departures from London.
How substantial in economy? $50? $100? More? I know LHR has high fees of some sort, but I thought most stuff was a class-variable set of fees (or at least less onerous than BA's fuel surcharges).
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooh, I don't think I have the nerve to run it that way...
Keep in mind the substantial UK APD and LHR PSC fees associated with long-haul departures from London.
How substantial in economy? $50? $100? More? I know LHR has high fees of some sort, but I thought most stuff was a class-variable set of fees (or at least less onerous than BA's fuel surcharges).
Checking a random date in November for LHR-JFK on AA, the APD/PSC fees come to around $164 per person in Coach.

By contrast, the Belgian fees on the BRU-EWR nonstop operated by AA partner 9W come to around $37.00 per person (but you'd also have to pay a $25/person telephone-ticketing fee to AA because award travel on 9W cannot be booked at aa.com). And you'd have to pay to get yourself from London to Brussels.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:57 am

I have questions on award booking on QF using AA miles. Looking to redeem one way miles from Asia 1 to South Pacific. The destination is actually a regional city in Australia.

I could see availability of QF flight on AA website for Hkg-Per via Syd/Bne 25k econ, 35k business and Per-Get (this route only in Econ -10k)

Instead of redeeming 2 separate tickets, is it possible to call and book to redeem one way from Hkg to Get? There will be no direct flight to this regional city and must be via major cities like Per,Syd.

Also am I able to add a route before the start say Kul/Sin to Hkg and then onwards to Get via Per/Syd. I know there are many connections via Sin/Per but can I specifically request for Hkg/Syd as connection point when redeeming award if there’s availability thus will make my redemption like Kul/Sin-Hkg-Syd/Per-Get? Does the initial leg consider backtracking? Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quinzzy
I have questions on award booking on QF using AA miles. Looking to redeem one way miles from Asia 1 to South Pacific. The destination is actually a regional city in Australia.

I could see availability of QF flight on AA website for Hkg-Per via Syd/Bne 25k econ, 35k business and Per-Get (this route only in Econ -10k)

Instead of redeeming 2 separate tickets, is it possible to call and book to redeem one way from Hkg to Get? There will be no direct flight to this regional city and must be via major cities like Per,Syd.

Also am I able to add a route before the start say Kul/Sin to Hkg and then onwards to Get via Per/Syd. I know there are many connections via Sin/Per but can I specifically request for Hkg/Syd as connection point when redeeming award if there’s availability thus will make my redemption like Kul/Sin-Hkg-Syd/Per-Get? Does the initial leg consider backtracking? Thanks.
Since aa.com now supports award redemptions on QF, all you have to do is input your origin and (final) destination in the award booking engine, and it should show the results, with available connections and cost in miles. But HKG, SIN, and KUL are all in Asia 2, not Asia 1.

If you want to use a second carrier on the award (like CX or MH) you would have to call AA.

Whether a particular itinerary prices as one award or as two (or more) awards depends on whether the "over-water" carrier has a published through-fare from origin to destination that permits the particular routing.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:28 am

I'm looking to book economy flights from London to Chicago departing Aug. 1 and returning Aug. 24. AAdvantage quoted me 100k miles plus $824.50 in taxes and fees for BA flight 217 connecting in Washington. On United Mileage Plus it was 110,000 miles plus only $174.80 in taxes and fees for a direct flight. Any ideas why the discrepancy in taxes and fees is so large?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:37 am

Checking a random date in November for LHR-JFK on AA, the APD/PSC fees come to around $164 per person in Coach.
Ah. (And 'ow.') Good to have in mind when budgeting.
By contrast, the Belgian fees(... on...) 9W come to around $37.00 per person (but you'd also have to pay a $25/person telephone-ticketing fee... And [Eurostar ca $66 for...] London to Brussels.
Hmm... Okay, I'd probably keep the straight London route for about another $36 each but I appreciate the information nevertheless. Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by smoothgorilla
I'm looking to book economy flights from London to Chicago departing Aug. 1 and returning Aug. 24. AAdvantage quoted me 100k miles plus $824.50 in taxes and fees for BA flight 217 connecting in Washington. On United Mileage Plus it was 110,000 miles plus only $174.80 in taxes and fees for a direct flight. Any ideas why the discrepancy in taxes and fees is so large?
B/c BA has significant fuel surcharges. Look for flights operated by AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.