Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Exception to the rule?

Do you think he could be allowed to make this one post? He's simply giving away SWUs, which is a big plus. It seems a good time to make an exception to the rule.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by nor4
Do you think he could be allowed to make this one post? He's simply giving away SWUs, which is a big plus. It seems a good time to make an exception to the rule.
This is *NOT* to question the recent new member's generous offer - but rather explain the reasoning for the rule.

The 180 days/180 posts minimum provides a modicum of security for traders. Unfortunately, people on the internet are not always posting honest/accurate information. To "simply give away SWUs" requires the recipient provide the donor w/personal information. If someone has been active on FT for years, the chances are greater (not guaranteed) that the trade is legitimate.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
i just became plt and when i select seats, there are prefered seat then there are prefered seats with stars for "Reserved for elite and full fare customers". can i select these seats even if i am not a full fare customer?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by joejoe666
i just became plt and when i select seats, there are prefered seat then there are prefered seats with stars for "Reserved for elite and full fare customers". can i select these seats even if i am not a full fare customer?
If they are available, yes, b/c PLT = elite. (The aa.com note should probably read "elite and/or full fare customers)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:46 am

instant upgrade

I have been searching around and cannot find the answers to my questions. I am planning a paid trip (domestic) on AA and on the booking site I am offered an "instant upgrade." The flights would be two class and I want to be in first and assume this upgrade puts us in first.
Is this upgrade a guaranteed seat in first? Are there any risks of not getting our seats in first? Also, I have a vague memory of reading that I need to be a member of AAdvantage? I belong to the BAEC if that helps?
Thanks and my apologies if the answers were somewhere.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by halfcape
I have been searching around and cannot find the answers to my questions. I am planning a paid trip (domestic) on AA and on the booking site I am offered an "instant upgrade." The flights would be two class and I want to be in first and assume this upgrade puts us in first.
Is this upgrade a guaranteed seat in first? Are there any risks of not getting our seats in first? Also, I have a vague memory of reading that I need to be a member of AAdvantage? I belong to the BAEC if that helps?
Thanks and my apologies if the answers were somewhere.
Rather than answer here since there is a lot of data and nuance, it makes more sense to include a reference to the existing thread on the topic here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

For future reference, I did a "Title Only" search for {"instant upgrade"} to find this thread.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
Ty!

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Originally Posted by joejoe666
If they are available, yes, b/c PLT = elite. (The aa.com note should probably read "elite and/or full fare customers)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:48 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I have a long itinerary coming up from Hawaii to Brussels all on one ticket in First and Business Class (KOA-LAX-MIA-LHR-BRU). Since I will have 2 overnight sectors I will want to retrieve my checked luggage and make use of the arrivals lounge at Heathrow to shower and change before checking in again for my final sector. I have 4.5 hours layover at Heathrow and a UK passport, so plenty of time.

So my question are:

Will I have any problems when checking in at KOA if I ask for my bag to be checked to London, rather than my final destination?

Can I do this at the self-service check-in machine, or will I need to go to the counter for assistance?

Also, does anyone know how long before the flight departure check-in opens at Kona airport? I've checked AA.com but cannot seem to find this information (although it recommends checking-in 2 hours before flights from Hawaii).
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gms
Will I have any problems when checking in at KOA if I ask for my bag to be checked to London, rather than my final destination?

Can I do this at the self-service check-in machine, or will I need to go to the counter for assistance?

Also, does anyone know how long before the flight departure check-in opens at Kona airport? I've checked AA.com but cannot seem to find this information (although it recommends checking-in 2 hours before flights from Hawaii).
You shouldn't have any trouble short checking your bag just to LHR. You'll have to go to the counter. According to aa.com, the KOA ticket counter is open from 6:50pm - 9:50pm.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:26 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You shouldn't have any trouble short checking your bag just to LHR. You'll have to go to the counter. According to aa.com, the KOA ticket counter is open from 6:50pm - 9:50pm.
Thanks JJeffrey. I wasn't sure if "ticket counter" on AA.com meant the same as check-in, but I guess they are probably all the same these days and most likely work the same hours, especially from an airport like KOA where there are limited AA departures.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Upgrades and thru flights

Hi
I was originally LAX DFW with a connection to PHL. 2 separates flight numbers. They have now changed it to a through flight(1776). Does this change how upgrades are done? I believe connections trumped origin . Do I need to clear both ? Will they clear only one segment?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Plato1
Hi
I was originally LAX DFW with a connection to PHL. 2 separates flight numbers. They have now changed it to a through flight(1776). Does this change how upgrades are done? I believe connections trumped origin . Do I need to clear both ? Will they clear only one segment?

Thanks for any clarification.
Yes, it definitely does have an impact. You will need to clear both segments to get the upgrade, and you will (I believe) not have the "through" priority in DFW. The only positive is that stickers used are based on and LAX-PHL distance, and not LAX-DFW + DFW-PHL. This won't matter to you as EXO, but a general comment. But, in general, these "direct" flights are not upgrade-friendly. Some (including me) have had luck in calling and getting them to split this into 2 segments. Seems less likely recently.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp
Yes, it definitely does have an impact. You will need to clear both segments to get the upgrade, and you will (I believe) not have the "through" priority in DFW. The only positive is that stickers used are based on and LAX-PHL distance, and not LAX-DFW + DFW-PHL. This won't matter to you as EXO, but a general comment. But, in general, these "direct" flights are not upgrade-friendly. Some (including me) have had luck in calling and getting them to split this into 2 segments. Seems less likely recently.

Cheers.
Thanks.
I have 2 reservations for different weeks. The CS agent was able to split one but not the other. kind of odd. I'll try again.
The whole thing was weird. I was taken off my original connection of 1776 and moved to a later flight even though the new originating flight was 1776! I know it's done by computer but you would think it would recognize the number.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
If I were to book a domestic flight with Avios on an AA flight, will I still be charged a fee to change the date/time of the flight? I know AA wont charge to change date/time, not sure how its works for Avios. Thanks! --and Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread--
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by express3
If I were to book a domestic flight with Avios on an AA flight, will I still be charged a fee to change the date/time of the flight? I know AA wont charge to change date/time, not sure how its works for Avios. Thanks! --and Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread--
Yes, you will. When you book any flight with BA Avios, you are subject to BA's redemption rates, rules, and fees.

That said, it's been reported here on FT that when canceling an Avios-booked AA domestic flight, you only lose the $2.50 fee that was charged at time of initial booking, and still get the Avios reinstated. So it might cost less to cancel and re-book, rather than to "change" the original booking. YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.