Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:34 pm

I am hoping that those of you who know everthing AA related can help me.

I want to book a FRA - LAS - FRA trip on 30 April until 22 May. The cheapest price quoted on AA is for fare basis O, but I would like to book this fare in H,K,L,M,V or W - so that it earns 1 EQP per mile.

I have rung AA on 6 occassions to get them to re cost the flight for me - but I keep getting told that I have to fly business class to earn 1 EQP per mile, or that it is not possible!

I am begining to think that I am not able to do what I need to do.....any ideas?

Also, if I qualify as GOLD in May 2013 - does that mean I am GOLD until Feb 2014?

Thank you
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Disney

I want to book a FRA - LAS - FRA trip on 30 April until 22 May. The cheapest price quoted on AA is for fare basis O, but I would like to book this fare in H,K,L,M,V or W - so that it earns 1 EQP per mile.

I have rung AA on 6 occassions to get them to re cost the flight for me - but I keep getting told that I have to fly business class to earn 1 EQP per mile, or that it is not possible!

I am begining to think that I am not able to do what I need to do.....any ideas?

Also, if I qualify as GOLD in May 2013 - does that mean I am GOLD until Feb 2014?

Thank you
Did the AAgents say they could not up-fare you at all, or were they just misinformed on which fares earn 1.0 EQP?

I'd put the flights you want on old, then call back and try again. Forget telling them why, just say say you want the same flights but an L, M, etc. fare.

If you make Gold in May 2013, then you'll retain it through Feb. 2015.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:10 pm

Thank you
All business class fares earn 1.5 EQP per mile.

V class would be the cheapest inventory that earns 1.0 EQP.

Do what JJeffrey suggested. Put the flights on hold (in O class, or whatever you can book online) and ask AA to upfare it. It's definitely possible.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Did the AAgents say they could not up-fare you at all, or were they just misinformed on which fares earn 1.0 EQP?

I'd put the flights you want on old, then call back and try again. Forget telling them why, just say say you want the same flights but an L, M, etc. fare.

If you make Gold in May 2013, then you'll retain it through Feb. 2015.
Not sure exactly what the problem was - but none of the agents could do what or wanted or even understand what I wanted! I will try again. Do you know what fare type is the cheapest, out of those that earn 1 EQP?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Not sure exactly what the problem was - but none of the agents could do what or wanted or even understand what I wanted! I will try again. Do you know what fare type is the cheapest, out of those that earn 1 EQP?
Did you read Apieinthesky's post?

Also, some information here that you might find useful.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...quirements.jsp
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
Did you read Apieinthesky's post?

Also, some information here that you might find useful.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...quirements.jsp
I did thank you - I think our posts overlapped! I appreciate all your help
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:20 pm

Million miler qualifications...curious

What miles qualified? Credit card purchases? Buying miles? Bank account miles? AA metal only flights? Did this mean in order to hit that mark you didn't use any of your miles until you reached the 1 million?

Only heard of this kind of thing in that movie. Had no idea it might really exist. Not that I have that kind of miles, but a nice dream.

Thank you kindly.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by natalie
What miles qualified? Credit card purchases? Buying miles? Bank account miles? AA metal only flights? Did this mean in order to hit that mark you didn't use any of your miles until you reached the 1 million?

Only heard of this kind of thing in that movie. Had no idea it might really exist. Not that I have that kind of miles, but a nice dream.

Thank you kindly.
It used to be all of the above, but as of December of 2011, it was reduced to only flown miles and miles on the AA credit card, and now, it's just flown miles.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by natalie

Thank you kindly.
As FlyMeToTheLooneyBin said, it's only flown miles, or more precisely,base miles or EQMs. Since elites get a 500 mile minimum, they will get more than the flown miles for flights under 500 miles.

Also, before when all miles counted (and now, still), AA keeps track of all the miles you earned. In your AA account, there is a counter called "Million Miler Balance." Thus, you do not need to keep all your earned miles. The system will automatically keep track, even if you redeem them.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
As FlyMeToTheLooneyBin said, it's only flown miles, or more precisely,base miles or EQMs. Since elites get a 500 mile minimum, they will get more than the flown miles for flights under 500 miles.

Also, before when all miles counted (and now, still), AA keeps track of all the miles you earned. In your AA account, there is a counter called "Million Miler Balance." Thus, you do not need to keep all your earned miles. The system will automatically keep track, even if you redeem them.
And then the "Program to Date" miles which serves only to let you know what could have been...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: QFF
I'm looking at a discounted F flight SDF-ORD-DFW-DEN all on the one itinerary. The first segment is on American Connection so it books into economy (N). The AA site says that First bookings are allowed up to three checked bags. Would the American Connection flight be included? I'll most likely have two bags but I don't feel like being slugged an extra $150 if a third is needed.

Scott.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver, HH Diamond.
I'm about to make my first trip to Shanghai for a couple of weeks for work. Looking at AA business class JFK/LAX/PVG and am wondering how AA stacks up against DL and UA. Am Plat on AA and would prefer to stack up some miles, but also don't want to suffer on a very long flight on old planes with poor amenities.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by caldrich
I'm about to make my first trip to Shanghai for a couple of weeks for work. Looking at AA business class JFK/LAX/PVG and am wondering how AA stacks up against DL and UA. Am Plat on AA and would prefer to stack up some miles, but also don't want to suffer on a very long flight on old planes with poor amenities.
Some people do not like the old AA business seats, as they are not 180º lie-flat, though they're more than comfortable for a long flight to PVG. I flew to PEK twice in April 2012, and slept more than eight hours, each way. The slight slant to the seats did not bother me one bit.

Catering has improved recently, and if presented with a choice, I would likely go with AA, especially if you wanted to earn some miles towards your elite status.

The only reason I would go with UA or DL is if I was earning miles with them.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Some people do not like the old AA business seats, as they are not 180º lie-flat, though they're more than comfortable for a long flight to PVG. I flew to PEK twice in April 2012, and slept more than eight hours, each way. The slight slant to the seats did not bother me one bit.

Catering has improved recently, and if presented with a choice, I would likely go with AA, especially if you wanted to earn some miles towards your elite status.

The only reason I would go with UA or DL is if I was earning miles with them.
The seats do go 180 degrees flat, just not horizontal. Although that's not my preferred position for sleep; I prefer somewhere in between position 2 and position zzz.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:44 am

AA FLight number on AS operated flight, baggage question

Ok! Hopefully i am safe posting this question here!?

I want to purchase a cheap economy YVR-LAX ticket through AA.com. Meaning the booking will be ticketed with an AA flight number, however the flight will be operated by Alaskan.

I am OWE (QF Platinum) And was wanting to know if because my ticket has an AA flight number will this allow me to check my bag in for free? As per the AA baggage policies for OWE passengers?

Do i check in at AA or AS counters and if i check in at AS counters will i have problems proving that i am entitled to check the bag in for free!?

Hopefully this all makes sense and someone can give me an answer!?

If i have confused you!? Well sorry and let me know and i will try and explain my question better?

cheers gogo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.