Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by frangrit
I'm getting ready to book my first award trip in business for two pax NYC to BKK/SIN/KUL (we're flexible) for next winter. I've done some searching but can't quite answer these two questions. Please point me to a thread I've missed if you know of one.

We will have to use miles accrued in two separate AAdvantage accounts. Does my partner have to call to make the reservation using his miles, or can I just tell the CSR his AAdvantage number? (In other words, does the CSR need his permission to use those miles?)

Ideally I'd like to take advantage of the international gateway city (NYC) stopover to tack on a flight out to SFO or LAX to the return trip. I understand I could book it for the very next day, and change the date later. But the AA.com calendar doesn't go out that far quite yet. Do I wait to book the whole trip when I can see award flights for after our return from Asia? (Is there a great risk that award seats will vanish in the interim?) Or should I just book the long haul flights now and stop being so darn greedy?!
Your partner doesn't need to call. When you make your reservation, tell the CSR up front that one ticket will come from your account, the other from his. As long as you have a credit card in his name for the taxes then you're fine. I've also had them verify the address on his AA account as well as the CC billing address.

Keep in mind that all travel, includng the add-on segment, must be completed within 1 year of the original ticketing date. Focus on finding award space on your long haul flights to/from Asia first.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Your partner doesn't need to call. When you make your reservation, tell the CSR up front that one ticket will come from your account, the other from his. As long as you have a credit card in his name for the taxes then you're fine. I've also had them verify the address on his AA account as well as the CC billing address.
I can handle that.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Keep in mind that all travel, includng the add-on segment, must be completed within 1 year of the original ticketing date. Focus on finding award space on your long haul flights to/from Asia first.
Ah, good point, and one I'd overlooked. Booking this far ahead certainly limits additional travel. I'll concentrate on the long-hauls.

Thanks so much — great advice.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Exp BA gold SPG Platinum
Hi everyone
As a long time lurker i first want to thank everyone here for the great insight and amazing ideas i have picked up from here.
I have been matched to aa exp but to extend my benefits until next year i need to fly 25k miles and then i will get the swu and my exp will be extended.
I have flown with them 13k so far and but i have a trip in mind with ba but then again if i book in economy in ba i will try to use my avios to get an upgrade to business or first.
So how do i go about this type of booking? do i need to leave out my ba executive no from the booking although it's made on ba.com(10% off from chase)? and give up the upgrade?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:17 am

Odd

Originally Posted by Ops5
So here is my situation (I'm quite new to AA and have never "no-showed" for a flight).

*I have AA award tickets booked for my family of 4 from my home airport, connecting through MIA to NAS.

*A few days later I have BA award tickets (AA metal) booked for us NAS-MIA.

*Another few days later I have my return AA award tickets booked out of MIA.

For a couple of reasons I'd like to change our trip to go to CUR instead of NAS -- but over the same dates. So I'm wondering if there will be problems if we "no-show" for the MIA-NAS leg, and I instead use Avios for MIA-CUR (again on AA metal of course) that same afternoon. And then a few days later I'd use Avios for CUR-MIA, then my original AA booking out of MIA to get home.

I hope this makes sense and if there's an easier way I'd be glad to hear of it!

Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by Ops5
Maybe I didn't explain it well. It is a separate ticket, but I wouldn't be able to get any miles back since I'm just not using the last leg of the AA award ticket. Basically, I'm wondering if I'll get "flagged" or something by AA as no-showing for a flight that day, which will impact my ability to complete the actual flight I want (MIA-CUR) that same day...or the return trip from MIA later in the week.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, no miles returned given award tickets aren't distance sensitive. Dropping the last segment of an award ticket should not raise any flags. It's not like you booked the last segment to get a lower price or the such. If this was a segment in the middle of a trip on the same PNR, then you risk loosing the rest of the trip if you don't call and give a viable reason.
So I tried to check in this morning for my family's trip tomorrow (award tickets). I'm on one booking with son #1 -- Mrs. Ops5 is on a separate booking with son #2. I can only check in myself and my wife - I get an error message (We are unable to check you in. Please check in at the airport with an agent) when trying to include the kids. Called Customer Service and they can't see anything wrong, nor understand why I'm getting the message. They've forwarded the issue on (to whom, I'm not sure) but stated I will not have a problem checking in at the airport. This makes me a bit nervous.

Also, the boarding passes for my wife and I are only for the 1st of 3 segments (home airport to ORD). Should we also have been issued the other two boarding passes [ORD-MIA and MIA-NAS (which we will "no-show" for)]?

I wouldn't think this problem has anything to do with my above quoted background information...???...especially since my wife and I are checked in.

I have very limited experience with AA...any suggestions? Should I be concerned?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by brp
To be clear, this is not correct, in general. It is very possible that no inventory was made available om certain days, as opposed to having been made available and being taken. Perhaps a minor point if nothing is available, but the expectation that it was there in all cases is unrealistic.

Cheers.
That's interesting, and annoying. A little misleading to say there are 10 weeks of off peak time and only release availability on 15 days or something.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:02 am

I'm very excited to report that I just placed a hold on my very first award reservation.

I got the long-haul JFK-HKG I'd hoped for, but the AA CSR was not showing award availability (J or Y) for the second leg of the trip (SIN). I'd read here that this can happen. I could see award availability on both the BA site and in the KVS tool. I fed her some flight numbers, no dice.

We've got an overnight in HKG now, which could be fun, but I'm wondering what I've done wrong. Misread something? Or should I just call back and try a new CSR?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:03 pm

Dear kind forum,

I have a question about visa requirements. I am checking in for a flight soon that will take me from the US to RGN, via bkk. I arrive in the evening in bkk, and am not schedule to head on to RGN until the next day. Does this mean that I will not be asked for a visa for RGN at check in? If so, and I don't have one, can I ask to just be checked through to bkk?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by fiddlesticks
Dear kind forum,

I have a question about visa requirements. I am checking in for a flight soon that will take me from the US to RGN, via bkk. I arrive in the evening in bkk, and am not schedule to head on to RGN until the next day. Does this mean that I will not be asked for a visa for RGN at check in? If so, and I don't have one, can I ask to just be checked through to bkk?
You can get visa on arrival at RGN for $30, based on what I've found on the interweb.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:19 pm

From what I've gleaned from the thread on RGN visas elsewhere, although this is true, this is not reflected in whatever visa-checking system AA and others use, so they will demand a visa whether you need one or not. Assuming that's true, I was hoping they wouldnt ask at all.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I've gleaned from the thread on RGN visas elsewhere, although this is true, this is not reflected in whatever visa-checking system AA and others use, so they will demand a visa whether you need one or not. Assuming that's true, I was hoping they wouldnt ask at all.
You are risking deny boarding if you dont have the Visa requirement met as specified by Timatic.

Check this SkyTeam's site because it uses the Timatic from IATA - that is the system Airlines use to verify Visa requirement.
http://www.skyteam.com/en/your-trip/...sa-and-Health/

The IATA pay site is this: http://www.iata.org/publications/Pages/timatic.aspx

Make sure what you plan to do would "fly" else you would not get to fly, literally.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Dear kind forum,

At check in, they will check the visa requirements for your ticketed destination.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You are risking deny boarding if you dont have the Visa requirement met as specified by Timatic.

Check this SkyTeam's site because it uses the Timatic from IATA - that is the system Airlines use to verify Visa requirement.

Make sure what you plan to do would "fly" else you would not get to fly, literally.
Thank you Happy. That is a fantastic link. I will be referring to it again for sure. It does seem to suggest that I can get a transit visa on arrival, so hopefully I can just indicate that line and let them know that I will be availing this option.

I still hope that they will just be checking me through to BKK, given my 23 hour stay there.

(its a question given that getting a visa i won't necessarily use would mean ~120 in fees/mailing/fake departure booking.)
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:31 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by frangrit
I'm very excited to report that I just placed a hold on my very first award reservation.

I got the long-haul JFK-HKG I'd hoped for, but the AA CSR was not showing award availability (J or Y) for the second leg of the trip (SIN). I'd read here that this can happen. I could see award availability on both the BA site and in the KVS tool. I fed her some flight numbers, no dice.

We've got an overnight in HKG now, which could be fun, but I'm wondering what I've done wrong. Misread something? Or should I just call back and try a new CSR?
Welcome to FT & the KVS Tool!

What's the flight #/date in question?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Happy

Originally Posted by mvoight
At check in, they will check the visa requirements for your ticketed destination.
A word of caution here. AA says it is your responsibility to know the requirements and have the proper documentation for entry to whatever country you plan to travel. HOWEVER, they do not require their own agents to know!

Almost got stuck in ORD before a PEK trip because the gate agent couldn't/wouldn't read past the section about requiring a visa (find a way to say no and stop). We had printouts from the Chinese Consulate explaining the ability to travel without a visa for up to 48 hours, but they wouldn't take that as proof. They even called the Czar of International Travel in Dallas, and he too was unaware of the proper rules. We stayed in their face until Dallas called back and said they would allow us to travel IF we agreed to pay any fines levied for illegal travel. Got to PEK and not even a raised eyebrow from anyone.

The lesson learned is to know your requirements and allow PLENTY of time to educate the GAs if needed. The problem with using sites like Timatic is they address ALL the rules for the country and not just those that apply to AA destinations. You would think AA could whittle things down to reduce GA confusion.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
What's the flight #/date in question?
Ideally, 17 Dec CX635. Or CX711 would work, I think, too. Am I misreading the tool — or making some other dumb error?

Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.